Is there a Starting Problem Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 06:56 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Is there a Starting Problem Fix?

Nobrakes, that was one of the simplest and yet smartest ideas to come across the pike in a long time. I Might even be persuaded toadd that to the top of the page someday.

I take Visa, MasterCard, Pay pal, and good old cash[8D][8D][8D]

Old 12-16-2007, 08:13 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sid Post

My motorcycle was at ~40F this morning. When I tipped it over, I could hear the gurgling sound of fuel running somewhere (or was it radiator fluid?) but, none of it hit the ground. Tipping didn't get it started though. I took the seat off and hit it with starting fluid and it finally came to life. For such a small engine, it took a lot of starting fluid. I guess I soaked the air filter or something first because it spit starting fluid out in the exhaust for a while.

Putting the seat and the side panel back on was a real pain. If I need starting fluid each time to start it, I'm not going to ride much in cold weather unless I can squirt some in without taking the seat off.

If I had a different carburetor, would I be able to start it in cold weather easier? At some point, I'm going to go from 250cc's to 331cc's so, I might do a carb first that would work better with the larger displacement engine if it will also work well for my stock setup.
I used starting fluid to get an old Honda that I had rebuilt to start. I used to much and when it fired it was so violent that I ended up taking the the cylinder back off to see if I had broken a ring or hurt a piston or valve. Since then I use wd40. A lot less volatile.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Possibly another option would be to squirt the starting fluid, or substitute, in through the vacuum port on the carb?

Old 12-16-2007, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ol guy
I used starting fluid to get an old Honda that I had rebuilt to start. I used to much and when it fired it was so violent that I ended up taking the the cylinder back off to see if I had broken a ring or hurt a piston or valve. Since then I use wd40. A lot less volatile.
ol guy, this is a question not a comment.....does WD40 work good as a starting spray.....and how is it on a multi-carb outboard.....good stuff to know.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll answer the first part: WD40 is an excellent starting spray. We use it on diesels all the time, mainly so that the engine doesn't run away with itself if you get too much in.
Sorry, don't know anything about multi-carb outboards.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:25 PM

I replaced the plugs recently on my Royal Star, manufacturer specs say set gap .028-.031 I set them at .031, don't ask why originally was .028 .Since then I have had cold start problems, as the temps dropped the hard start increased,also warm up takes longer. Maybe spark gap has something to do with it? I went out this morning and fired the KLX up it has sat for several weeks in my cold garage I am in Rhode Island and we have several inches of snow and wind chill last night near or below 20deg. F It started up after turning over for 10 or so seconds. It has the orginal plug stock exhaust and carb. I let it warm upto temp. then ran it for sevral minutes with gas **** shut off and put her to sleeep! Ps I use STABIL

Old 12-17-2007, 04:04 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sid Post

My motorcycle was at ~40F this morning. When I tipped it over, I could hear the gurgling sound of fuel running somewhere (or was it radiator fluid?) but, none of it hit the ground. Tipping didn't get it started though. I took the seat off and hit it with starting fluid and it finally came to life. For such a small engine, it took a lot of starting fluid. I guess I soaked the air filter or something first because it spit starting fluid out in the exhaust for a while.
DO NOT USE ETHER ,you have a perfectly healthy motor right?????you don't need it....something else is wrong.When we use it on the diesels you can clear as day hear the cylinders hammer when you start it up.That is NOT GOOD.If you had liquid either spray out the pipe i find it hard to believe.....liquid ether will not fire an engine...at all.it needs to be mixed with alot of air to become explosive...It will lock up the motor before it "sprays" out the exhaust.ether depletes the lubrication off the cylinder walls and actually causes galling.diesels can tolerate it because of the fuel they use which is has more lubricity than gasoline and the sheer sturdiness of their engine blocks.shur it will work but it will definatley decrease engine life if you keep spraying the bomb in it.Hold the bike on it's side until gas runs out on the ground and then try to start it.not a 2 or 3 second lean over...hold it there.throw a trashbag over your leg so you don't get any petrol on your leg.....try it then!!!!! I guarantee it will work.
I still am a firm believer of the air pocket on the pilot circuit.....leaning over or overfilling the float bowl would have eliminated this to allow a startup....

Old 12-21-2007, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I leaned it over for about 10 seconds, not 2 or 3. The starting fluid come out in a "fog" not liquid drops.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:40 PM

Starting report. Ran the gas out and shut off with key. Sat for 6 weeks or so (sorry to do that to ya guys but no time) Turned the gas on waited 10 seconds and no start even with the choke pulled all the way out. Laid bike over on left side and counted to 10 and hit starter and it fired right up. I smelled gas after doing this. My guess is that the carb is so leaned out and the engine is cold natured eng that it doesn't get enough gas at first to start. By laying it on its side it gets more gas in tha eng to fire.This bike would take for ever to start after sitting awhile.