Is there a Starting Problem Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 12:02 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Is there a Starting Problem Fix?

ORIGINAL: tremor38

Ok, so 'cranky' is my new label, I guess I'll embrace it while I ask you the same question.

Bike doesn't start. You do nothing other than change the fuel in the carburetor bowl and it starts instantly.

How can you tell me that fuel has "nothing to do with it." [&:] That statement borders on ridiculous.

I never made that statement.

I have never changed the fuel in the carburetor bowl.

You must be thinking of someone else?

Old 11-24-2007, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

People with starting problems, what octane are you using? I use 87. 87 is more volatile than 91 an it also deteriorates slower too. I had to put 93 octane in my Serow because it used to ping otherwise and that bike used to be a bitch to start after 2 weeks.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

Ok, so 'cranky' is my new label, I guess I'll embrace it whileI ask you the same question.

Bike doesn't start. You do nothing other than change the fuel in the carburetor bowl and it starts instantly.

How can you tell me that fuel has "nothing to do with it." [&:] That statement borders on ridiculous.

I never made that statement.

I have never changed the fuel in the carburetor bowl.

You must be thinking of someone else?
Here's the quote and I'll make this my last post in this thread, so that I don't help tostretch it on forever.

"I agree about the gas having nothing to do with it."

The part about draining the bowl, filling it with gas and having it start right away is what several people in this forum, including myself, have already experienced.

I agree that other bikes may be less susceptable to the problem due to carb design hotter plug or whatever, but theres no way that fuel isn't a major contributing factor in the case of the KLX and many other bikes that have experienced the same problem. Exit soapbox....

Old 11-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

And, Nobrakes, maybe some bikes are more sensitive to the problem than others, but nobody can convince me that fuel doesn't play a part. I'd say it plays a major part.
Hmmm, stipulated. But you're ignoring where I said that it is probably a combination of factors, and that if you fix just one of them, then that may be enough to overcome the hard start. All I suggested is that for someone that experiences this problem at the next opportunity where it's going to happen, instead of doing the usual drain the fuel fix, instead swap out the spark plug for a new one and see if that works.

If so, then that tells us something. If not, that tells us something also. What is there to lose?

Old 11-24-2007, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Here's the quote and I'll make this my last post in this thread, so that I don't help to stretch it on forever.

"I agree about the gas having nothing to do with it."

The part about draining the bowl, filling it with gas and having it start right away is what several people in this forum, including myself, have already experienced.

I agree that other bikes may be less susceptable to the problem due to carb design hotter plug or whatever, but theres no way that fuel isn't a major contributing factor in the case of the KLX and many other bikes that have experienced the same problem. Exit soapbox....

I am going by my own experience only. If the exact same 87 octane will fire up inside the CBR even after 2 month but it is harder in the KLX after 3 weeks, then it can't be the gas. It's the bike! Whether it is a carb design, plug, or even the ability of one gas tank to deteriorate the gas faster than the other, I don't know. But it's not the gas's fault if the exact same gas left in the CBR combusts instantaneously when it does not on the KLX.

All I can tell you is that since I made the mods, I have no starting problems whatsoever. The bike can sit for two weeks and even when it is 30 F, it will start instantaneously, I can ride off right away with no hiccups or hesitation and turn the choke off after 5 seconds.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I agree that there must be something that can be changed on or with the bike to improve its startability. gas is gas no matter what its in and we can't change it..well we could add additives, but who wants to do that forever? just brainstorming here, but feel free to add or constructively critisize where you feel:

- maybe bike doesn't have as high of an output coil as other bikes...I'll try and find out
-manual does list another plug that can be used in a pinch (again I will check to se if plug is hotter or not, but believe it is-why would a manual refer to a different plug anyway?)
-I disagree with Tremor and feel that a freshly charged battery certainly would improve the bikes startability, although I can't explain this other than it allows more current to be drawn and therefor a "hotter"spark
-also feel swapping the dirty plug with a new one would make a difference as well, but again, who wants to put in a new plug every time they start their bike?-a clean plug is more likely to ignite the fuel than a dirty plug

actually after writing all these things out i feel personally the cure may lie within the coil and or plug...time will tell.

fire away......all responses are welcomed. Afterall, we will all benifit from the cure.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mudjunkie

-also feel swapping the dirty plug with a new one would make a difference as well, but again, who wants to put in a new plug every time they start their bike?-a clean plug is more likely to ignite the fuel than a dirty plug
Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting anyone actually do this as a solution, only as an experiment which might shed some light on the underlying problem.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

People with starting problems, what octane are you using? I use 87. 87 is more volatile than 91 an it also deteriorates slower too. I had to put 93 octane in my Serow because it used to ping otherwise and that bike used to be a bitch to start after 2 weeks.
I always use 87, because even with 2 gallons of gas I'm still cheap By the way Diesel here in western Washington out on the Olympic Peninsula is now $3.78 YIKES!!!!!

Old 11-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

ORIGINAL: mudjunkie

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting anyone actually do this as a solution, only as an experiment which might shed some light on the underlying problem.
No trust me running the gas out is 10 times easier that trying to get that pain in the rear plug out, but like I said before I have the wife's bike to ride for a while and I'll let you guys know what I find out.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Nobrakes..I totally understood..I suspect it would fire right up if you put a new or even a cleaned dry plug in it..I really think it is a combination as you stated, old gas in carb, old gas coating plug, and by exchanging either the gas in the carb or the plug I think the bike would start easier, I also thinkcharging the battery would make it fire up by giving it that little extra spark as well...which is why the more I think about it, the moreI believe if there is a stronger coil out there that it may cure the problem, or even a better plug wire? anything that may provide a stronger signal to the plug itself to overcome the ignition point of the slightly deteriorated gas?

Quick Reply: Is there a Starting Problem Fix?