Is there a Starting Problem Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Is there a Starting Problem Fix?

The moisture theory doesn't seem to hold water (get it) since if that were the problem then it wouldn't make a difference if we ran out of fuel before restarting or not. Also, if there was moisture in the jug, enough to prevent starting, then I think we would have bigger concerns.

The hotter plug wouldn't seem to work along the same lines. A hotter plug is used in case the stock plug is fouling and causing poor running conditions. That is not that case, I have checked my plug and it is far from being fouled.

The problem is in the float bowl/carb somewhere....

Old 12-14-2007, 08:08 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

A good test might be to:

1) turn off the fuel and let the engine die as it depletes the carb bowl of fuel and runs very lean and hot for the last few seconds

2) turn the gas back on and fill the bowl

3) let sit for 2 weeks (or whatever is required)

4) start

If it starts right up, the plug could be contributing to the problem. If it doesn't, my theory is kaput.

But check the hard-starting thread over on KLR World, you'll find lots of folks recommend swapping the plug or pulling the plug and dry it off / heat it up, then start.

Keep in mind I'm not suggesting that as a permanent solution since it's much easier to start by other means. Only as a test of the possibility that the problem could be more than just bad fuel.

Edit: KLRWorld thread: http://klrworld.com/forums/index.php?topic=5748.0

Old 12-14-2007, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm still a firm believer of an air pocket near the pilot circuit.....My atv carb will not fit but i did jack it up (the atv of course) on one side by 14" and leave it sit for a few days....remind you it hasn't ben run since october 8th.The atv did not start at all...under no means was it even thinking of starting...which is odd because the 'ole Honda always starts on the first tap of the button with the choke out.I ran the battery dead and i always keep the battery minder hooked to it with a temp probe so i had alot of cranking before it died.I will leave the minder on it and sit her back level for a week or so and try it again....same float and carb design...should be the same results.I can almost guarantee it's an air pocket near the pilot circuit and that is what is needed to get our motors running.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Truckman

I'm still a firm believer of an air pocket near the pilot circuit.....
I thought that idea was very interesting as well. I think it's the only proposal that, if true, would explain all the data points.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I was hoping to ride today but, my ride won't start after 2 weeks of rain. I'll crank some more and try tipping...I was so looking forward to riding today.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Cold Again here in Northern NC but got a good 20 minute ride in.The KLX was hard to start even after tipping but I had forgotten to turn the Fuel tap back on. Once I turned the tap back on it fired up.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Lots of interesting ideas on this thread.

I started the klx up last night after 1.5 weeks of sittin..... fuel switch on again [:@], second starter button push and she started right up.....but it was chillie last night about 72F.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

My motorcycle was at ~40F this morning. When I tipped it over, I could hear the gurgling sound of fuel running somewhere (or was it radiator fluid?) but, none of it hit the ground. Tipping didn't get it started though. I took the seat off and hit it with starting fluid and it finally came to life. For such a small engine, it took a lot of starting fluid. I guess I soaked the air filter or something first because it spit starting fluid out in the exhaust for a while.

Putting the seat and the side panel back on was a real pain. If I need starting fluid each time to start it, I'm not going to ride much in cold weather unless I can squirt some in without taking the seat off.

If I had a different carburetor, would I be able to start it in cold weather easier? At some point, I'm going to go from 250cc's to 331cc's so, I might do a carb first that would work better with the larger displacement engine if it will also work well for my stock setup.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:25 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sid Post

Putting the seat and the side panel back on was a real pain. If I need starting fluid each time to start it, I'm not going to ride much in cold weather unless I can squirt some in without taking the seat off.
Drill a tiny hole in your air box where you can slip the starting fluid spray tube in just below the seat. Just make sure and do this before the filter so that any air that enters gets filtered. That should make it very quick to give it a shot and then start.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes
Drill a tiny hole in your air box where you can slip the starting fluid spray tube in just below the seat. Just make sure and do this before the filter so that any air that enters gets filtered. That should make it very quick to give it a shot and then start.
Sometimes the simple and obvious escapes me ... [:@]

I was thinking about using a hose into the stock intake but, I think I'll rob a spray tube from my chain lube can and drill a tiny hole to match.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Is there a Starting Problem Fix?