Is there a Starting Problem Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Default RE: Is there a Starting Problem Fix?

I'll just add a positive note to the starting issue. Mine starts fine....even after sitting for weeks. I just have to pull the choke. Maybe I got lucky. Good luck

Old 12-12-2007, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: maxrates

I'll just add a positive note to the starting issue. Mine starts fine....even after sitting for weeks. I just have to pull the choke. Maybe I got lucky. Good luck
I think it's temperature related as mine starts harder the colder it gets. It starts in about 7 seconds when it's real cold out vs instantly when it's warm out.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:01 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LearjetMinako

If its hard to start. Keep cranking. With the weather turning cold (40's and colder), the KLX is turning into a dog to start. Choke out and keep cranking. Evently it will start a few more seconds later. Leave the choke out until RPM's hit about 3k to 3.5k.
If I don't run the gas out, and my bike sits for a week, no amount of cranking or pulling the choke will help. I can crank until the battery goes dead, and its not going to fire. But if I tip the bike for 10 seconds and lift it up and hit the e-start, it fires right up.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:19 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I too have flooded all of my 2 strokes in the similar manner in the past even after one day of sitting.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Truckman

My Honda atv uses a carb with the same jets and needle as the klx and that thing can sit for 4 months with the gas on and if i pull the choke it fires on the first blip of the button.

now to quote myself as i just had a brainstorm........Maybe my atv work just fine with the same carb because it sits level and not leaned over....the klx stand is kind of goofy IMO....my bike is always kept outside so it'd be hard to try this but if one of you could prop your bike to a near vertical position and leave it sit let's see what happens then.I'm leaning towards an air pocket like some others mentioned and it's hard to pull fuel up the pilot circuit until the bike is tipped and thouroughly fills the float chamber....leaving the gas off and bowl empty may also aid in this as it's suddenly filled with fuel (float bowl) and usually fills to where the float just quikly stops it.??? just something else that could be it.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

now I could also try to swap my carbs from the atv to the bike to see what happens.The bike is the cvk34 and the atv is the VE94E A.It is still a cvk carb that uses identical jets in it.The difference is that it actually has a primer button in the float bowl.now i have only used the primer button 1 time in the 3 1/2 years i've owned it (4500 miles and 392 hours) and that was when the temps dipped to -2 on a nice miserable evening.It also has a remote choke and mount and it is only a single pull cable (not push-pull) and it also has a heater element in the float bowl.it should bolt right up besides cable routing and the extra wires.The best part is that the price of a complete carb is only 146$$ from bikebandit.....it is still a cvk carb tho ...but mods can be had from it ...1. clip the slide spring by 7 loops and the drill the hole in the slide (just like klx) and it delivers instant throttle response....whoops did i just give away the secret?....yeah guys on our cvk 34 clip the spring by about4 coils from top and then enjoy the ride...won't cure the starting problem but it will give you more snap.

let me see if this thing will fit or come close to it and i'll let you guys know...as now that i look at it a fuel heater and a primer would be nice to have on the steed.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:04 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Anyone test swapping the spark plug yet? I was browsing around over at KLR World and low and behold that seems to be a very common method for cold starting for them. At least it provides confirmation that it works.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:57 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Anyone test swapping the spark plug yet? I was browsing around over at KLR World and low and behold that seems to be a very common method for cold starting for them. At least it provides confirmation that it works.

Yea about that, I got too impatient, and just couldn't wait again. But as hard as it is to change this plug, I can't imagine doing that instead of tipping the bike or draining the bowl. But Brian I would like to eliminate that for sure. Come on someone from a place where there is snow, you can't ride anyway, so help your Kawi brothers out.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:21 PM

I might give it a try; as to I read to before, there can be a little moisture on the spark plug and it is enough to make it hard to start. It might make sense becasue if it is warmer you might not have the moisture. Hmmm, I'll give it a try; even just taking out the plug and drying it off with a blowdryer.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I think i will pick up one of the "hotter" plugs that is listed in the owner's manual and try that, looks like my bike is laid up for the winter anyway. The plug is suggested for use in colder weather and slower speed riding (assume trail riding-not recommended for extended high speed rides)...definately worth a try.

Quick Reply: Is there a Starting Problem Fix?