Stock exhaust with FMF megabomb?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member

What's weird to me is how quiet my KLX300R is with a KLX250 Pbomb+Q4 - more so than the unplugged stock (KLX300R) exhaust .. It is so quiet that I am actually a little unhappy with it. Yet, even with adding a restrictive "quiet tip" to this setup, it's still too loud to your ears. I just can't imagine what you are after.. Was the stock exhaust system loud to you ?

That comparison video: I can't identify/recognize the "stock exhaust" silencer on that bike - there is no resemblance to my stock silencer. It is obvious that the stock header is being used with the Q4 - P/M bomb headers kill most all the "pops"/ "blatting" from the exhaust tone..

Old 06-25-2017, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Here is where it falls apart and becomes another worthless internet argument.

You can do whatever you like with your bike. Make it as loud or quiet as you please. I don't criticize your perception of loud, never have since we met here.

Why does it bother you that some of us want a quieter experience?

Old 06-26-2017, 12:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep, I suk again.. My bad..

I'm thinking a smallish mod on the stock exhaust might be exactly what you are after. Opening up the tip in increments.. The drawback is the loss of use, of the MBomb..

Other thots are about what it would take to "redo"/ modify the internals of the Q4, like we do with removable baffles on aftermarket street "cans"..

Old 06-26-2017, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
That comparison video: I can't identify/recognize the "stock exhaust" silencer on that bike
It's the stock Asian muffler. And from pics, appears to be the European one as well

Old 06-28-2017, 06:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Howlinsage has been "opening up" his stock can - perhaps he could be of help..?

Old 06-29-2017, 02:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Is there a link to mod up a Q4 for more quiet? I bought a used one off ebay and put my quiet insert in it and it was way louder than my PC 4 with the insert ,So I open it up thinking it just needs a repack and it didn't look that bad . The app on my phone says 105 db on the Q4 with quiet insert ,My PC 4 with the quiet tip produces 97 db .Any suggestions on packing material ? I've heard there is some better material avialiable than the stock stuff . The Q4 didn't look altered in any way Thoughts? Thanks

Old 06-29-2017, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by donA
Is there a link to mod up a Q4 for more quiet? I bought a used one off ebay and put my quiet insert in it and it was way louder than my PC 4 with the insert ,So I open it up thinking it just needs a repack and it didn't look that bad . The app on my phone says 105 db on the Q4 with quiet insert ,My PC 4 with the quiet tip produces 97 db .Any suggestions on packing material ? I've heard there is some better material avialiable than the stock stuff . The Q4 didn't look altered in any way Thoughts? Thanks
I have the Q4 purchased new last Fall. Not to continue an argument with anyone here, but it is loud and you won't be happy with it if you were expecting something just a little louder than stock. I am disappointed personally, I didn't know it was THIS loud.

Note that I also ordered FMF's 1 1/8" Quiet Core insert. Even that doesn't curb the thunder when you are hard on the gas in mid/upper throttle.

Due to how FMF secures their cores (6mm threaded bolt on the *inside* of the core), modifying the actual core with a downward facing tip isn't easy. But even that won't change the dB's, it will just redirect them down (you will hear more of it than before).

You will see a teeny bit of dB relief using a FMF MegaBomb header (less than going from the standard 1 1/2" core to 1 1/8" quiet core).

If I had a tig and money to burn I'd buy a second Q4, cut it in half, then weld that onto the existing Q4 to make it longer. I don't see any other way of easily modding this exhaust to be quieter. Maybe a washer could be welded to the inside of the pipe where it mounts to the header.

I'm currently looking for a used KLX300R exhaust. Using that though, will mean I lose my megabomb header since FMF uses a different diameter (which requires their own mufflers).

If you find anything in your search would you please post back here?

Old 06-29-2017, 07:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Next time I'm at the ranch, I'll try to figure out exactly what the problems are with mounting a KLX300 stock can onto a installed KLX250 megabomb.. The M/P bomb's don't require FMF slipons - there are other slipons designed with the proper midpipe "nipple" for them.. It is kinda a simple equation, if you have to remove the stock headers' seal in order to mate a slipon to it, that slipon will fit the FMF headers.. We've documented some known working combos - https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...rations-44444/ but none are "quiet"..

Any slipon made for the KLX250, that can be used with the stock header, will either have a stock sized nipple (for sliding directly into the seal in the header bell) or will have the larger dia. nipple that requires removal of the stock seal out of the headers' bell..

Last edited by Klxster; 06-29-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

QOS, one idea is to get the FSW header + heat shield and add a stock KLX300 can - if you like the results, the FMF system should sell for a tidy profit.. I would assume the FSW header would ordinarily make better mid/upper power over the stock header, but with the stock "peashooter" end cap on the 300 can, who knows..

Old 06-29-2017, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Next time I'm at the ranch, I'll try to figure out exactly what the problems are with mounting a KLX300 stock can onto a installed KLX250 megabomb.. The M/P bomb's don't require FMF slipons - there are other slipons designed with the proper midpipe "nipple" for them.. It is kinda a simple equation, if you have to remove the stock headers' seal in order to mate a slipon to it, that slipon will fit the FMF headers.. We've documented some known working combos - https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...rations-44444/ but none are "quiet"..

Any slipon made for the KLX250, that can be used with the stock header, will either have a stock sized nipple (for sliding directly into the seal in the header bell) or will have the larger dia. nipple that requires removal of the stock seal out of the headers' bell..

Thanks.. I have a line on a used KLX300 muffler near me that has supposedly been "modified". Can't tell yet but I am going to try and get it to evaluate. If all that needs to happen is to remove the inner seal, I'd do it to keep the MegaBomb header. First have to see what these cats did to the exhaust and if it's still usable.

Got to be a good middle happy ground between super stealthy pea shooter and FMF Q4 w/ quiet insert.

Quick Reply: Stock exhaust with FMF megabomb?