Stock exhaust with FMF megabomb?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 12:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Could allways try a universal baffle (db killer) with your existing setup, it will flow worse but probably not worse than a stock can

Old 06-25-2017, 01:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Doubt I'll get very far but I sent email to FSW asking if they'd be interested in making a one-off of one of their KLX mufflers with 6" more length, 1" more in diameter and a 1" end cap turned down toward the ground instead of exhaust leaving the can parallel to the ground.

I'll report back.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RageHardIntoTheBendies
Could allways try a universal baffle (db killer) with your existing setup, it will flow worse but probably not worse than a stock can
Thought db killers weren't made anymore. Have a link for something that will fit a Q4 slip on?

Old 06-25-2017, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by queen of spades
Thought db killers weren't made anymore. Have a link for something that will fit a Q4 slip on?
Can buy them on ebay, you will have to take some measurements to see what diameter/length you can use. Its actually pretty easy to quiet down an exhaust, turdown tip can help to. Back in the day we would weld a washer at a 45 into the pipe somewhere on straight piped bikes

Last edited by RageHardIntoTheBendies; 06-25-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Here is the FMF quiet core (left side) with the FMF regular Q4 insert. Don't know how they get by marketing any of this as quiet it is far from it lol.

Name:  CIIPZJE.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  260.6 KB

Here's their "quiet core" going into the muffler:
Name:  XvmIKOH.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  114.2 KB

The mounting bolt makes adding anything to the inside of the tip difficult.

Name:  UOiTGpZ.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  148.3 KB

Old 06-25-2017, 02:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Good vid comparing OEM KLX to FMF Q4. The video becomes worthless after the initial sound meter shots.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Somthing like this would probably fit
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/baffle...universal.html

Old 06-25-2017, 05:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Replace that mounting bolt with a wing nut, would knock it down a few db

Old 06-25-2017, 06:28 PM
geo
1st Gear Member

Are you racing? How many 1/10ths of a sec do you gain corner to corner with the pipe and noise added?

I have a Hindle slip-on on the shelf. Lucky for me it was free lol. I tried it with and without extra silencing and it adding performance on the main jet for sure but the quieter it got the less it added. Weight difference was an honest 3.6 lbs off a 290lb plus 200 lb rider = 490lb package. Not much.
I found the noise a limiting factor during on street fun. Kinda red face to make all that noise and really go nowhere fast lol. Much more fun to me, to keep it pinned like I'm racing but without the attraction-distraction for the neighbors.

My opinion, it's nice to hear the bike a bit and opening up the stock exhaust is just enough.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member

good points all around other than to say that I like the looks and yes, even the lighter weight of the aftermarket cans. Seems ten years ago there was an option or two for aftermarket stealthy silencers, but many of the old products are no longer made. Some of that has to do with people giving f.ck all and wanting loud bikes anyway, but more of it has to do with fewer people with disposable income to buy bikes and parts.

Quick Reply: Stock exhaust with FMF megabomb?