My bike just lost 24lbs.!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine idled for about 5 mins I guess before the fan kicked in. I know from having the Vapor connected it cuts in @ 100 degrees C (212 F). I have had it cut in several times while riding in 1st gear, hot steamy conditions using the clutch a lot (mud or uphill))

Old 03-23-2009, 04:07 PM

I live in the northeast as well and if I'm trail riding around in first gear the fan is on quite a bit, so it could be there is something wrong with your sensor as others have suggested. Having said that I don't think I've ever heard the fan come on while street riding, stopped at a light on a hot day or not.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 8cuttlefish8
I cant understand why anyone would want to remove their fan?
As for me, it was to gain more natural air flow. Aluminum is the best conductor of heat, just a little bit of air will immediately take away what heat it has. And the forward motion of the bike will generate alot more than that dinky little fan. And radiators are made to "grab" the air while still letting it pass. Quite ingenious. I know that thing has to be blocking air when its not on.

I know from all my days from welding aluminum, all you had to do to cool a piece of aluminum (other than quenching it, which you should stay away from if you can) is to put it in front of the fan and in no time it was like ice. Steel would sit there for a long time before its heat would be taken away.

I am glad to hear that does 'suck' instead of 'blow' (teenage snicker). That puts my mind at ease a bit more in case I do have to put it back on. Not like its a big deal. I think its three screws and two plugs. Takes all of about 5 minutes... not even that long I don't think.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:57 PM
1st Gear Member

My fan cuts on all the time during the summer. I would never EVER consider taking it off. I feel it moving the air. At low / slow speeds, the amount of free-flowing air that it restricts is negligable compared to all the air it is sucking/blowing around the radiator. And its not meant to constantly come on and keep it cool while riding, its meant to keep the bike from overheating while in traffic. The only reason anyone should take off their fan IMHO is if they ride wide-open trails / doubletrack, no roads, no tight stuff. Its a whopping 8 ounces, guys. Come on. You probably sweat that much off your body in a halfway-decent ride.

Sorry if it seems like I am ranting, it just seems like this is a ridiculous discussion.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't think its ridiculous at all.. theres a million things people do this bike that others 'dont get' but do it anyway. Some even with possible negative side effects. Like riding without the airbox lid and a K&N filter installed. Your opening up to water and fine dust particles, but people do it. If your on the road its fine, just like this fan. I ride almost all road, probably why the fan never comes on much.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I've noticed an opening on the engine for a kick start. If they exist can you drop the starter? That would shed some weight.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member

The starter, battery, wiring, and the small side case once the starter is removed would lessen the weight quite a bit.

However, i wouldn't trade in my electric start for a kicker...fudge that.