My bike just lost 24lbs.!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah well a KTM is an enduro bike the KLX is a Dual sport

Old 03-22-2009, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
Don't you freakin' hate that? There's this one intersection in my town that's at an odd angle and its in the middle of the ghetto so as long as theres no cars and I'll go through it. Well, one day there was a cop at the other side checking for speeders, parked behind the service station. I must have sat there for almost ten minutes, and the light NEVER turned. Then he got called out on an emergency and he flicked his lights on and took off in the other direction. Thank goodness it was like 50 degrees outside.
It truly bites! I used to stomp my feet on the road sensors and bang the kickstand into the sensor but There's just not enough weight between me and the bike to trip the sensor in the road. I think most cops will let you off if you explain it right and also treat them with respect.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
Yeah well a KTM is an enduro bike the KLX is a Dual sport
My point exactly.. And the KLX is built with that in mind, not so much lightweight (expensive) components

Old 03-22-2009, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member

The fan would be a sucker not a pusher, it's to pull more air through the rad... A light weight frame would be awesome. I'd love to swap out to a kx aluminum, now that would loose some weight. I ride mind on the highway all the time, so the only one that as to drop weight is me. My once 185 lbs is 208... Winter hasn't been good to me.

Last edited by slimenlyman; 03-22-2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-22-2009, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member

You guys are going to have me brainwashed into putting my fan back on. Honest though, I swear, my fan BARELY ever kicked on, even in the slow muggy conditions. Wonder if something is wrong with my sensor?

I know, .... I rig up a low wattage light to the sensor, that way I can SEE how often the fan would kick on if it was there.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I would think the temp sensor is telling your fan to turn on at a higher temperature than most of us. Mine alwayse turned on in the slow stuff. If I turned my bike on from cold, let it idle for about 3 minutes, the fan would turn on. Which IMO is about right. Sounds like yours is not working right.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by slimenlyman
The fan would be a sucker not a pusher, it's to pull more air through the rad... A light weight frame would be awesome. I'd love to swap out to a kx aluminum, now that would loose some weight. I ride mind on the highway all the time, so the only one that as to drop weight is me. My once 185 lbs is 208... Winter hasn't been good to me.
Well, if you're gunna go as far as that, may as well change out the powerplant. Somehow gear a kx250f for the road... All kinds of possibilities. Of course the most logical thing to do would be to buy a lightweight bike.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by green242
let it idle for about 3 minutes, the fan would turn on.
WOW......WOW,...........I've never heard of any engine needing its fan after 3 minutes of idle from a cold start. Unless of course its about 90-100 degrees or better out and the engine was already hot from the sun or something. Hell, my car has to be driven under load for like 10 minutes just to get up to average operating temperature. And that engine is all encased and cranking alot more heat, not out in the open like a tiny motorcycle engine. I can do a quick warm up on the bike and ride it around a bit and still touch the engine. Is your jetting right? You sure your not running lean?

I remember one time starting my bike up at my shop once to warm it up, then I got caught up in something and forgot about it. The thing idled for about 30 minutes and never kicked on. Granted, it was about 45-50 degrees though.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Nope, I think my fan was just working right. When the bike is not moving, there is no airflow, and the coolant gets hot quick. My jetting was good. If your bike idle'd for 30 minutes, and it never kicked on... that's an obvious problem IMO...

Old 03-23-2009, 10:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I cant understand why anyone would want to remove their fan?

Quick Reply: My bike just lost 24lbs.!!!