My bike just lost 24lbs.!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 01:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
While I fully trust your telling the truth I question what kind of temperatures, jetting, humidity, etc your riding in.

I live in the northeast USA, which means in the summer it gets hot, humid, muggy, sticky, with stagnant air. I've ridden slowly in the woods at sub 1st gear speeds (almost stalling) and it doesn't come on. It came on a couple of times for a few seconds at red lights in the middle of summer with the heat radiating off of the blacktop. As soon as I popped it into 1st and started to move it immediately turned off.

I still kept it, I'm not as stupid enough to throw it away,which means I'll put it back on if I need it....don't get me wrong. But I seriously doubt I will. I think the air flows MUCH better without it. Thats why I took it off, not because of the weight. I'm a believer in the Ozzie.....excuse me, I mean Aussie's Pie Thoery.
Maybe your sensor is just a tad less sensitive than mine but on real hot days in the woods mine will come on. I got to where I'll just blow through the Red lites because they don't seem to change for me so that's not an issue any more unless I'm behind a line of cars. But yes the fan comes on at times. I plan to have my KLX for 20 years or more so I'll do everything I can to make it last. But you'll probably be fine without your fan unless you just let it sit and bake at idle too long.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone. i am going to keep the fan. A pound or 2 is not worth detonation.Does anyone have any other ideas (legitimate) for shaving some unwanted pounds from the bike?

Old 03-21-2009, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default backwards fan

I think the reason the fan blows forward is to keep it clear of crap..they do it on tractors so the radiator doesn't plug....i guess the whole thing depends on what type of ridding you do as to whether you need the fan or not.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

The fan does not blow forward, it sucks through the radiator and blows the air towards the rear of the bike

Old 03-21-2009, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
The fan does not blow forward, it sucks through the radiator and blows the air towards the rear of the bike
Your positive? So you do not agree that this fan blows, but you will concur that it at least sucks?

You have to take into consideration your down under and everything is upside down and backwards down there.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gerrynolan
I got to where I'll just blow through the Red lites because they don't seem to change for me so that's not an issue any more unless I'm behind a line of cars.
Don't you freakin' hate that? There's this one intersection in my town that's at an odd angle and its in the middle of the ghetto so as long as theres no cars and I'll go through it. Well, one day there was a cop at the other side checking for speeders, parked behind the service station. I must have sat there for almost ten minutes, and the light NEVER turned. Then he got called out on an emergency and he flicked his lights on and took off in the other direction. Thank goodness it was like 50 degrees outside.

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-21-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Check into the law in your area. Some places ( I think here in IL ) If you sit at a light for a prescribed length of time, and it has not changed, you can leagaly disregard the red light and proceed when traffic is clear. I might be nervous pulling that in front of a cop though. lol

Old 03-21-2009, 09:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Northeast PA here and I wouldn't ditch the fan. Mine comes on quite frequently in the summer on tight single track.

If you want to shed some weight, look into the tubliss tire inserts to run your tires with out tubes. You will save a couple pounds per wheel. But this is not dead weight you lose rotating mass which will feel a lot greater. You can also switch to a kdx/klx front rotor which are reported lighter and again save rotating mass. Put an aluminum rear sprocket on it as well.

And for those that say to just cut back on the pie, or loose a few pounds off of the bread basket. That is not the same as loosing weight off of the bike. Loosing weight off of the bike will make it more responsive and less demanding on the rider.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks 2K1. I'll look into those. My body weight is the last thing I'm worried about. I'm 5'10 and 170lbs. Once this bike has the proper power, gear and weight ratio, I'm sure it will move me around just fine....Thanks

Old 03-22-2009, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Aluminum footpegs.
IMO, I'd be looking into a light bike.. if that's what you want. You should be able to street ktm 200's and such, which are pretty lightweight bikes.. The KLX is made kind of heavyweight, with all the steel parts in it. One thing I noticed about my KTM, is that everything on it seems to be light, or built with weight in mind. Nuts, bolts.. THey put lightweight metal everywhere. The KLX has heavy (cheaper metals) parts all over.

Quick Reply: My bike just lost 24lbs.!!!