Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   My bike just lost 24lbs.!!! (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/my-bike-just-lost-24lbs-27405/)

Greenblood 03-18-2009 04:02 AM

My bike just lost 24lbs.!!!

So I just got done with installing the KX rear fender and have nothing else to do till all my new parts get here. So I started cutting, un-bolting and pulling off everything that makes this bike street legal in most areas. Before you all chew me out for doing it, all that is required on an AZ vehicle is the headlight and 1 mirror.

I have taken off the rear fender assembly and cut the frame off to the rear seat bolts. Both mirrors (until I figure out a small mirror install) Front turn signals, tool box and "lug rack", Chain protector thingy, pass pegs, and air box lid. For a total of 23 lbs. 12oz.... I still need to remove the KCR air thing and the de-ice circuit. Not sure how much more that will give me, but I wont stop till I hit 25 lbs.

If I use the drag racing math of -10 lbs equals +1 HP, I will add 2.5 more HP. Talk about free horsey's!!!! :)

JasonFMX 03-18-2009 04:18 AM

Take off the fan...and hell while your at it, why not the kickstand? Then, get rid of the huge silencer and get a nice light aftermarket one.

novasteve 03-18-2009 04:20 AM

Glad to see you got the fenders on, and I took off everything you did too and had no idea that it was that much weight but it good to know. Now you really need to post up some pics!!!

Greenblood 03-18-2009 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by JasonFMX (Post 361645)
Take off the fan...and hell while your at it, why not the kickstand? Then, get rid of the huge silencer and get a nice light aftermarket one.

I am going to take of the kickstand but I have to get another stand first. I am not going to count the silencer and pipe, since everyone does that. As far as the fans go, I live in Lake Havasu, AZ. The temps get into the high 120's here. We usually don't ride past about 90-95 degrees, but I think I need to keep the fans. I actually thought about losing 1 of them. Are they electric? If I take them off will I gain back any parasitic HP?

I will get some pics up after work tomorrow....

MaverickAus 03-18-2009 05:35 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Leave the fan on. I don't know how much I lost (no scales) but I took off the brick that is the instruments and headlight stuff and used a trailtech vapor instrument panel and a kdx/early klx headlight setup that is super light

Attachment 21602

Attachment 21603

Attachment 21604

Greenblood 03-18-2009 04:07 PM

Good idea...Thanks

JasonFMX 03-18-2009 07:37 PM

The way I understand it that fan is near useless.

I rode in hot humid days and very very low speeds in the woods with little to no air moving on the motor and the fan still didn't kick on. Plus, it blocks airflow. It takes up the entire voided space behind the right radiator. It flows MUCH better without it. Not to mention, the way I understand it, the fan blows forward. How much sense does that make? SO unless your at a dead stop and that fan kicks on, its going to be two air forces fighting each other canceling themselves out.

Last but not least. As I said, its near worthless. The only time mine has kicked on is when at a red light on pavement and it only kicks on for a split second. As soon as you get the slightest air movement on the radiators from moving forward it kicks off. I can tell you that for all the longer its turning on its physically impossible for it to be doing anything that is engine saving critical.

Your better off taking the fan off and opening up the flow of air and lessening all the things that absorb heat around it. And stay moving, you'll be just fine. MX bikes don't have fans and they rev alot higher at alot slower speeds and I've never seen a problem come from that unless someone was severely abusing the machine or had improper jetting or something.

In my opinion, the fan is dead weight and a waste of money.

JasonFMX 03-18-2009 07:39 PM

OH, and that vapor thing is awesome.

WestOzKLX 03-19-2009 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by JasonFMX (Post 361796)
Last but not least. As I said, its near worthless. The only time mine has kicked on is when at a red light on pavement and it only kicks on for a split second. As soon as you get the slightest air movement on the radiators from moving forward it kicks off. I can tell you that for all the longer its turning on its physically impossible for it to be doing anything that is engine saving critical.

I've ridden more than one enduro bike that spilled it guts (coolant from the overflow/expansion bottle) while riding the urban drag during the rush hour. Wish those bikes had fans. KTM offers a fan kit for their EXC models for this reason. More and more enduro models are being used as dual sports as their reliability is now near bulletproof. IMHO the fan is all good. Wana save weight, cut back on the pies.

Xplosivo1 03-19-2009 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX (Post 361930)
Wana save weight, cut back on the pies.

But its so much easier to take the fan off...If I had any self control I could lose the 24 lbs. :)