More info on carb needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:14 PM
1st Gear Member

My bike ran like crap with no top on the air box and CV carb. Just removing the snorkel with stock jetting was so bad the bike barely ran. KDX snorkel is a good compromise. I went one step more.

I now have the TM36-68. Bike runs awesome with no air box lid, but the noise kills me. I cut the lower half off the KDX snorkel and just use the top as a duct so the noise is not directed at the bottom of the seat or my ears. Its a good compromise for me. Bike runs frikkin awesome and is still quiet.

David

Old 04-13-2011, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by David R
My bike ran like crap with no top on the air box and CV carb. Just removing the snorkel with stock jetting was so bad the bike barely ran. KDX snorkel is a good compromise. I went one step more.

I now have the TM36-68. Bike runs awesome with no air box lid, but the noise kills me. I cut the lower half off the KDX snorkel and just use the top as a duct so the noise is not directed at the bottom of the seat or my ears. Its a good compromise for me. Bike runs frikkin awesome and is still quiet.

David
What FlyingFinn was alluding to but didn't come right out and say was that intake velocity is absolutely critical for maximum performance - at any rpm range.

It goes against internet wisdom, but with intake tracts, smaller is generally better. Usually, when you enlarge the intake tract, you slow down the air flow which decreases the charge entering the cylinder. Even worse, turbulence is often created which causes mayhem with jetting.

In a previous thread you stated that your bike would not exceed 85mph. No offense intended, but if my 351 only went 85mph (true, not speedo), I would not define it as "frikkin awesome". I would define it as "sucks".

You might consider taking a closer look at your engine's breathing "improvements" unless you are satisfied with the way the bike performs. I'm guessing it can do better.

Ron

Old 04-14-2011, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Ranger Ron,

I am satisfied with the way my bike runs. When I bought it I could not pass a car with out tucking in like a little kid on a 50cc mini bike. I was getting 63 mpg tank full after tank full. As I did the mods the power band moved down to between 4,000 and 8,000 which is where I run the bike.

NOW I can open the throttle at 50 mph in 6th gear and pass a car. When I pull back in I am doing 80 or close to it. I no longer have to wind the **** out of it to make decent time. I can do power wheelies in first and sometimes second. Just crank the throttle at the right RPM and up it comes. Last few tanks full of gas have been 60 to 62 mpg. I do not have loud exhaust or intake. With taller gearing (15/39), I get indicated 61 mph at 6,000 RPM and almost no vibration. All that adds up to frikkin awesome to me.

Yup I'm happy with it the way it is. Everything is a compramise. I never expected more than 85 mph for such a small bike. If I want to go faster, I can get on my fuel injected BMW 1100.

David

Old 04-14-2011, 08:57 PM
1st Gear Member

All that matters is that you're happy with it!

Ron