First Breakdown

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: First Breakdown

Note: Di-electric grease is great, but only if used to seal out the elements..I do not suggest putting this grease on the surface of the connectors that make contact with each other...make your connection firat then coat the outside of the connection with the grease. Otherwise you are losing the quality of the connection itself.

However, there is a product out there called pro-gold..it is designed to treat mating electrical connectors and conditions the base metal itself to prevent corrosion and such..it can be used on plated connectors as well..but i don't know where you can buy it..we used it at my last place of work to treat battery casings for a 4 cell (AA) 6-volt battery pack...we used to use the di-electric grease, but had troubles in the field with it later on. The pro-gold is a non-aresol spray can (pump the to to disperse product)..I'll try and post a pic of the can....

Old 03-02-2008, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Here is a pic of the Pro-Gold can....I think I'll do a search and see where it can be purchased..I didn't purchase this can...
Name:  IMG_0985.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  52.6 KB

Old 03-02-2008, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member

My apologies for the triple post, but I searched for the PRO-GOLD and found out that it is now called DeoxitGOLD and can be purchased at Radio Shack! After reading this thread i think I will make it a yearly winter task to clean and treat the electrical contacts with this type of product.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member

It all depends upon the use. I know for a fact that silicone grease has been, and is still in use today, on battery connector 'mating surfaces' in Navy helocopters. We never noted any problems associated with'quality of connection' in that particular situation, butyou obviously shouldnotapply thatacross theboard for all connectors/connections, large and small. This particular battery wasmore exposed to theelements than your average bird, sowithout any preservative you wouldstart growing theugly green stuff.

ORIGINAL: mudjunkie

Note: Di-electric grease is great, but only if used to seal out the elements..I do not suggest putting this grease on the surface of the connectors that make contact with each other...make your connection firat then coat the outside of the connection with the grease. Otherwise you are losing the quality of the connection itself.

However, there is a product out there called pro-gold..it is designed to treat mating electrical connectors and conditions the base metal itself to prevent corrosion and such..it can be used on plated connectors as well..but i don't know where you can buy it..we used it at my last place of work to treat battery casings for a 4 cell (AA) 6-volt battery pack...we used to use the di-electric grease, but had troubles in the field with it later on. The pro-gold is a non-aresol spray can (pump the to to disperse product)..I'll try and post a pic of the can....

Old 03-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

thats a cool can it looks like a sprocket on the bottom!!!!!!!

Old 03-02-2008, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Well that's how you mix it. Just put a chain around that and yank on it. That's why D-Beaver likes it so much. [8D]

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

thats a cool can it looks like a sprocket on the bottom!!!!!!!

Old 03-02-2008, 10:40 PM
1st Gear Member

That's the old can design with the 14-tooth sprocket bottom...the new stuff has the 13-tooth sprocket bottom..lol

tremor38, the troubles my work had was overcoming the resistance created by the insulating properties of the grease as it was applied to the battery holder before the batteries were installed. The product it was used on only drew around 70-100uA so it didn't take much grease to affect the current draw. I would rather see the grease applied after making the connection and use it to coat and seal the outside from moisture and the elements.

Not to mention, the grease is quite messy when you needed to change the four AA batteries which usually was done 2 times a year.[:@] It runs terribly when it's hot outside as well.