First Breakdown

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:00 AM
1st Gear Member
Default First Breakdown

[:@]On the way to work today first break down. I do not post much But I do lurk here!! Yesterday while riding to work bike started to misses and finally quit. When I pulled over notice battery dead. I want everyone to understand I haveput on now 27,800 miles on littleGreen.Was able wigglewires neutral light got brighter but bumped startedwill not electric start. I made about 1 more mile dead again!!! I nowknow thatif you have this problem you can not even start with a kickstarter. Will anyone like to guess at this problem before I tell you the problem?????

Old 03-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: First Breakdown

just bad battery?

Old 03-01-2008, 09:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Goodguess but after getting a quick charge at a old fashion servicestation, was able to ride about 15 miles before she died again. I also live in Southern W.Va. within 15 miles of two HatfieldMcCoy Trails. I have ridden thru two winters of snow and rain. 19 Months of riding but mostly commuting 76miles each day accept when I drive the wife's car to work. Now remember would not even stay running after I first tryed to jump start with booster!!!

Old 03-01-2008, 10:04 AM
1st Gear Member

A broken, loose or corroded ground wire?

ORIGINAL: Jetboy950

[:@]On the way to work today first break down. I do not post much But I do lurk here!! Yesterday while riding to work bike started to misses and finally quit. When I pulled over notice battery dead. I want everyone to understand I haveput on now 27,800 miles on littleGreen.Was able wigglewires neutral light got brighter but bumped startedwill not electric start. I made about 1 more mile dead again!!! I nowknow thatif you have this problem you can not even start with a kickstarter. Will anyone like to guess at this problem before I tell you the problem?????

Old 03-01-2008, 10:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Was a Wire but not a ground. Everyone needs to know how the IC igniter works to help with the diagnostic challenge! I have been a Motorcycle techsince 1977 .I am just trying to pass on some helpful info; Most younger MotorcycleTechs arechallenged when comes to electrical troubleshooting!!!

Old 03-01-2008, 10:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, then why don't we start with how your battery went dead. That certainly wasn't the 'IC' Ignitors fault, was it? How about the + lead of the battery or the white wire that comes off of the main fuse being loose?

ORIGINAL: Jetboy950

Was a Wire but not a ground. Everyone needs to know how the IC igniter works to help with the diagnostic challenge! I have been a Motorcycle techsince 1977 .I am just trying to pass on some helpful info; Most younger MotorcycleTechs arechallenged when comes to electrical troubleshooting!!!

Old 03-01-2008, 10:30 AM
1st Gear Member

if you "Was able wigglewires neutral light got brighter but bumped startedwill not electric start. I made about 1 more mile dead again!!! its a bad electric connection- if you can not get power out you and not put power back in to charge the battery. But a battery that is not fully charged for a long time will go bad, so you may have 2 problems- or your battery has a short and you wiggling the wire maks a bad connection with allows the alt to work again.

Clean all the connections- start bike (if you can) measure the voltage at the battery- should be 13-14 volts.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

OK.... I give up.... whats the IC ignitor? dont recall hearing that before...

Old 03-01-2008, 10:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Re-read what he said. He has already figured-out what's wrong and is seeing if we can figure it out. Myguess is it's only one problem. If the battery looses enough charge the CDI will no longer function. Even with the stator spinning, the circuit voltage will drop low enough make the CDIeither quit working or not be able to make a strong enough spark to keep you going.

ORIGINAL: daveg

if you "Was able wigglewires neutral light got brighter but bumped startedwill not electric start. I made about 1 more mile dead again!!! its a bad electric connection- if you can not get power out you and not put power back in to charge the battery. But a battery that is not fully charged for a long time will go bad, so you may have 2 problems- or your battery has a short and you wiggling the wire maks a bad connection with allows the alt to work again.

Clean all the connections- start bike (if you can) measure the voltage at the battery- should be 13-14 volts.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:43 AM
1st Gear Member

It'sthe CDI.

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

OK.... I give up.... whats the IC ignitor? dont recall hearing that before...

Quick Reply: First Breakdown