bike just died

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 10:30 PM
1st Gear Member

mine did this weird thing about a year ago where if u gave it more than probably 1/3 throttle it would sputter and run like ****, i took the carb out and cleaned put it back in and didnt change a thing.. took it to my friend jakes house we took the carb out cleaned it put it back in and it has ran fine ever since, still dont know what caused it.. my guess is plugged jet, or vent line pinched. it was weird!

Old 07-15-2010, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Hogzilla, I ran out of fuel with mine a few months ago. I am pretty sure it was "on" but when I stopped and turned it to reserve it still wouldn't start. I called a buddy and he brought me gas and got it back home. I now reset my trip odo and dont rely on "reserve" anymore.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I hope it is something as simple as out of gas. My pride can take it. I am fixing to go to Colorado and was wanting to take this bike since we are going to be riding alot of dirt roads and it is comfortable. However if I can't figure it out I will take my KTM 250XCFW that I have made street legal.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

take the hose off the carb and put the petcock in reserve position. Note the volume of gas coming out NOTE: do this with the tank almost empty. you may have a dirty screen on the reserve side. then fill the tank to see if the volume of gas is the same as reserve.
I had a dirty screen on the ON side and the bike would only run if it was on reserve.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GaryC
take the hose off the carb and put the petcock in reserve position. Note the volume of gas coming out NOTE: do this with the tank almost empty. you may have a dirty screen on the reserve side. then fill the tank to see if the volume of gas is the same as reserve.
I had a dirty screen on the ON side and the bike would only run if it was on reserve.
Another good idea. I will try that

Old 07-17-2010, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Confession Time! Well I took the hose off the carb and placed in a clear container and sure enough it was out of gas. However, while I was checking this I was also installing the Kouba fuel mixture screw and I found that when I had the carb off last time I had not tightened the intake boot to the carb. This could explain some of the surge i was getting and maybe some of the backfiring. I put some fuel in it did my adjustment and the bike starts and runs great.

It is embarrassing to have such an event to happen. I have always had the bike show signs of running out of gas. This bike shows no signs. It just stops. It has to be the kind of carb on this bike. Anyway thanks for all the suggestions and help

Robert
Hogzilla

Old 07-17-2010, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

Originally Posted by hogzilla
Confession Time! Well I took the hose off the carb and placed in a clear container and sure enough it was out of gas. However, while I was checking this I was also installing the Kouba fuel mixture screw and I found that when I had the carb off last time I had not tightened the intake boot to the carb. This could explain some of the surge i was getting and maybe some of the backfiring. I put some fuel in it did my adjustment and the bike starts and runs great.

It is embarrassing to have such an event to happen. I have always had the bike show signs of running out of gas. This bike shows no signs. It just stops. It has to be the kind of carb on this bike. Anyway thanks for all the suggestions and help

Robert
Hogzilla
Dont feel too bad, the first time this happened to me I freaked (mostly cuz I bought this bike after being tired of working on my other bike all the time and I got freaked something broke. I had fired it up in my driveway it was running fine, I let it warm up, went to go and the minute I went to move it puked and quit half way out the driveway. I thought there's no way I just ran out of gas that second. Tried and tried till the battery was getting weak I just couldn't start it, it kinda sputtered once that was it.

I juiced the battery, tried again, was really upset, started by pulling the plug, didn't look fouled, then I pulled the seat, shrouds, and tank (and of course there was still gas in reserve (but i hadn't switched to it.) So I pulled the carb couldn't find anything, put it back together about half way together I remembered comments about how little distance you get out of gas and thought "no, I didn't" ... yeah a little gas and vroom vroom. "Fail" Welcome to club embarrassment lol.

On a plus side, now you can ride and with no further concerns!

Last edited by jacksonriding7; 07-17-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: blah blah blah avoiding double post
Old 07-17-2010, 06:45 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Nothing like finding the cause of a real problem and the peace of mind it provides for later rides...embarrassing or not.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Nothing like finding the cause of a real problem and the peace of mind it provides for later rides...embarrassing or not.
Yep! I just got back from a long test ride and everything was good. I came back and took off the snorkel. Went for a short ride and I could have sworn there was a difference in performance.