General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

HELP! Had my 03 636 2 days and its already died!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 07:42 AM
Default HELP! Had my 03 636 2 days and its already died!

Hey all im Nick, i just got a second hand 03 636 two days ago. At first i loved it, it sounds fantastic and goes like hell.

Anyway was out riding around the local twisties this morning, just cruising downhill when all of a sudden the motor just stopped. Tacho, lights speedo etc. all still working, just stopped firing. Pulled up and the 'FI' light was on. Turned key off for a few sec, turned back on and fired up. Also is running a little bit rough, has a flat spot at 7.5k but not all the time? Anyway i got home and pulled all the fairings off and looked over all the wiring and couldnt see any obvious damage or melted wires or disconnected wires. Should mention that i washed the bike the night before, so thought maybe some water got in somewhere it shouldnt have? Also the bike is fitted with a power commander and yoshi system and is apparently tuned for it.

Have heard that maybe the PC is to blame?

Has anyone had anything like this happen before? I need help urgently, as i spent all my money buying the bike so i cant afford to take it to a shop! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers,

Nick

P.S sorry about this as a first post but i need to sort this out asap! Cheers!

Old 10-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HELP! Had my 03 636 2 days and its already died!

Blow out any molex connections with contact cleaner. Check your ground connections. Then worst case scenario, remove the pc for a test run.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:42 AM

Ok this might sound really stupid, i know jack all about the electrical side of things, but what is a molex connection? And where/what are ground connections? Isnt it something like the whole bike is grounded or something? LOL sorry i really gotta learn more about this kind of stuff.

Old 10-09-2006, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member

You mentioned you washed it... please tell us you did not take to one of those high-pressure power washer places. The PSI behind those things cause lots of problems with bikes if you are spraying close.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:47 AM

No i didnt pressure wash it.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:09 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

whew! good for you.

Molex connectors are the plastic "pin holders" for your harness. Components plug into the harness through those molex connectors. Which also contain a pin for the common or ground for that section to the harness.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:15 AM

Cheers Dragone i thought that was what you were talking about. Will give it a go this weekend. Hoping it is just a connecton or something got wet because it has been running fine last 2 days.[&:]

Old 10-12-2006, 11:07 AM

Well bloody thing cut out on me again today. Twice! But im pretty sure its a short somewhere, as i think it happened when i hit some bumps. Going to pull the power commander off and see if that fixes it up. Will also get some contact cleaner onto the connects. Was just lucky it wasnt at high speed mid corner or it could have been real bad.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds more like a loose connection rather than a short

Old 10-15-2006, 09:47 AM

Well i pulled the PC off and went over the wiring harness and couldnt find anything. I tried to get the self diagnosis thing going but had no luck. Either that or there was no recorded fault, because the FI light didnt start blinking [&:]

Should point out that the fuel pump has been pretty noisy. You know the noise it makes when you first turn the ignition on and it primes the fuel. Well when you start the engine it keeps making that noise. I dont think it did that before but i might be wrong. Could this mean a fuel pump or relay problem might be causing the engine cut outs?

I really appreciate all the input fellas, cheers!

Quick Reply: HELP! Had my 03 636 2 days and its already died!