General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1984 ZX900R Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRock420
I just stumbled across this thread,,, dude,, alot of progess you have made,, Props on yoru work bro.. looks real nice
Thanks JRock.

Updates....

1. Recieved the carbs that were supposedly jetted for aftermarket exhaust and pods...the ebayer touted it as coming off a running bike...it was missing the float pin, 1 float needle, float bowl screws, and float bowl gaskets. Great deal $120...right. The dude won't even respond to my e-mails. Anyway I put the carbs on and they have flat spots all over, I have to probably sync them adjust the float bowls and all that...great huh?

2. Rebuilt the pitcock, but I still have the problem with the carbs leaking out the front after I run it...could be floats and/or needles not sealing. It's really a PITA!!!!

3. The alternator was bad, it needs to get rebuilt. I kept the alternator from the ZX11 and it does the job for now.

4. The front brakes are still grabbing bad and won't release. I think the inevitable is a rebuild.

5. Guy with the title still hasn't called me back so I can pick it up....A$$monkey

6. There is a new lead in the coolant system, you know the tube in front of the motor that comes from the heads...the one that you have to take the exhaust, oil, and radiator to get at...yeah the middle o-ring. I guess it was so excited to get out on the road it pissed itself. but now it won't stop. I was thinking RTV but I don't know. It's a new seal!?

This is the time I think I need to put the bike in the back of the garage and work on something else for a little while....

Old 04-15-2009, 03:13 AM

hey 84 congrats. I own an 86 and an 85 900. my 86 is my first real bike and my first top end rebuild. I was involved in a head on about 9 years ago with it and have been riding it off and on restoring what was damaged as I go. I started it up for the first time in three years today and used my car to jump it, since its in a storage area, and charged the batt with a "battery tender" all night. it will start with the car jumping it but if I shut the car off or remove the cables i get a buzzing from the main relay. not sure what it is at the moment but I think its a shorting issue or one or more of the diodes are cooked. anywho hey quick question what are you running for rubber on that? I once found a site that had metzlers for it somewhere in europe or something, here on the US side I can only find dunlops and I'm not sure l like them. I am also in the process of trying to find the correct jet combination for my application. If you need help with that let me know.

Good luck

Old 04-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Updates....

1. Recieved the carbs that were supposedly jetted for aftermarket exhaust and pods...the ebayer touted it as coming off a running bike...it was missing the float pin, 1 float needle, float bowl screws, and float bowl gaskets. Great deal $120...right. The dude won't even respond to my e-mails. Anyway I put the carbs on and they have flat spots all over, I have to probably sync them adjust the float bowls and all that...great huh?

2. Rebuilt the pitcock, but I still have the problem with the carbs leaking out the front after I run it...could be floats and/or needles not sealing. It's really a PITA!!!!

3. The alternator was bad, it needs to get rebuilt. I kept the alternator from the ZX11 and it does the job for now.

4. The front brakes are still grabbing bad and won't release. I think the inevitable is a rebuild.

5. Guy with the title still hasn't called me back so I can pick it up....A$$monkey

6. There is a new lead in the coolant system, you know the tube in front of the motor that comes from the heads...the one that you have to take the exhaust, oil, and radiator to get at...yeah the middle o-ring. I guess it was so excited to get out on the road it pissed itself. but now it won't stop. I was thinking RTV but I don't know. It's a new seal!?

This is the time I think I need to put the bike in the back of the garage and work on something else for a little while....