General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1984 ZX900R Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragone#19
month and half for engine rebuild. Not a bread and butter winner, but it seems you are there. Glad you have it back together.
Thanks for the encouragement...lol. I was working on other things and you've seen the pictures of the boxes it came in.

UPDATE::::

IT LIVES! Sounds healthy. Much more work to do on the brakes and other little odds and ends before It's on the road, but the first bike hurdle is now over. Updates will come soon, I have another bike waiting in the que to get chopped.

Cheers

Old 02-11-2009, 04:32 AM

YOU HAVE THE AFTERMARKET TARGA LOWER FAIRING [MUCH BETTER FOR COOLING] ALSO GET HELP WITH MOTOR ASSEMBLY/QUITE TRICKY IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE ONE [GET FACTORY MANUAL[ NOT AN AFTERMARKET MANUAL AS THEY ARE USLESS GOOD LUCK DAN BamBam1039@aol.com 1-203-675-3761

Old 02-11-2009, 02:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BamBam1039
YOU HAVE THE AFTERMARKET TARGA LOWER FAIRING [MUCH BETTER FOR COOLING] ALSO GET HELP WITH MOTOR ASSEMBLY/QUITE TRICKY IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE ONE [GET FACTORY MANUAL[ NOT AN AFTERMARKET MANUAL AS THEY ARE USLESS GOOD LUCK DAN BamBam1039@aol.com 1-203-675-3761
I did not know about the aftermarket lower fairing, I know the middle fairing is lochart. I actually finished rebuilding the motor a little while ago with only a haynes manual. I have a parts bike that I will be swapping wheels, brakes, suspension and other misc bits before she gets on the road.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Update!!!

I got the leaks fixed in the coolant system and the carbs seemed like they weren't leaking so I threw some more fuel in the tank and started it up. The brakes were still kinda locked up so I dragged it out in the road. it was having a little trouble staying running but I kept the rpms up a little. I took in the clutch, shifted into first. Sweet Jesus it moved, so I rode it to the end of the block, but it wasn't enough, I went out to the main road in the subdivision. 2nd...3rd...55mph....whoa.....ok...huge **** eating grin on my face. I went to the end of the road and back to my house. Turned it off for a second...the carbs started overflowing massively through the two openings at the bottom of the carb intake. I tried to get it started again...no dice...the battery died. I called it a night.

A side note...the neighbor across the street started flashing his porch light at me...I thought to myself..."crap I have to turn it off"...I turned it off to see what he wanted...He wanted me to rev it up a couple more times. I guess it sounds pretty good!

To do list
1. Get carb rebuild kits and rebuild carbs
2. Exhaust header gaskets
3. Pitcock rebuild kit
4. Tires
5. Chain
6. Swap front forks from donor bike
7. install fork brace from donor bike
8. Get title from PO
9. Left grip
10. Clean out and possibly "Kreem" Tank.
11. Brake pads
12. Hook up manual fan switch
13. Drive fast and take lots of chances...j/k

One more back to life gents...Cheers!

Old 02-18-2009, 12:12 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, gotta love that chit eatin' grin factor....

Old 03-19-2009, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I just moved...I now have a bigger garage!!!!

Updates
1. I think I have a charging issue
2. This thing is fast
3. After I start it and run for a little while then turn it off, the carbs start leaking fuel out of the intake bell. I am not sure if the valve in the pitcock is stuck open or if the needle valves need to be replaced
4. Scored a jetted set of clean carbs off a running bike on E-bay
5. I need to swap the forks off the parts bike, then get rid of it
6. Still haven't gotten the title
7. Some more leaks are showing up around the crank case.
8. Still needs tires - donations welcome
9. New chain
10. Did I mention it was fast?

Cheers!

Old 03-19-2009, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Dude, awesome! Congrats on the rebuild......Feels good the first time you heard her fire didn't it???

Old 03-19-2009, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigRig18Wheeler
Dude, awesome! Congrats on the rebuild......Feels good the first time you heard her fire didn't it???
Thanks! Always man, it's like that after every motor I put together. It never goes away. I think this one in particular because of all the crap had I had to go through to get all the parts and hardware correct.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the update. Also sounds like you have things figured out pretty well. Congrats also on the garage. But if it is like mine, it is just a storage unit. lol and all the work is done in the covered trailer.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I just stumbled across this thread,,, dude,, alot of progess you have made,, Props on yoru work bro.. looks real nice

Quick Reply: 1984 ZX900R Restoration