Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

New Job Again...

Old 12-01-2008, 10:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Our company uses Solidworks and E-Drawings (part of SW family) and has for years. It is leaps and bounds ahead of ACAD for mechanical engineering. Make sure you have some decent CPU speed, 2G of ram (on XP machines anyhow), and a fat video card (they have a recommended list on SW's website). Combined with their other software packages like Cosmos for structure/stress/temp analysis - it can't be beat for ME applications, and is far cheaper than something like 3D Studio Max.

We still have a couple of computers with ACAD14 on them just in case someone sends us something and E-drawings doesn't like it for conversion, but in the ME world - pretty much everyone worthwhile uses SW.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats Bro! Hope this job beats the hell out of the last one.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by srobak
Our company uses Solidworks and E-Drawings (part of SW family) and has for years. It is leaps and bounds ahead of ACAD for mechanical engineering. Make sure you have some decent CPU speed, 2G of ram (on XP machines anyhow), and a fat video card (they have a recommended list on SW's website). Combined with their other software packages like Cosmos for structure/stress/temp analysis - it can't be beat for ME applications, and is far cheaper than something like 3D Studio Max.

We still have a couple of computers with ACAD14 on them just in case someone sends us something and E-drawings doesn't like it for conversion, but in the ME world - pretty much everyone worthwhile uses SW.
solid works is like inventor is like solid edge is like pro-e is like ironcad is like catia etc

cosmos is awesome and is available as an add in to most major 3d cad programs now.

autocad is primarily a 2d software, it can do 3d but uses 10 times the memory to do it since its is coordinate based 3d and not parametric.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fourty2ri
I use AutoCad all the time at my shop. I have an old school guy working for me Loves AutoCad. I recently hired a younger engineering student, he loves SolidWorks. For the younger crowd I think SolidWorks is the way to go. My Cad guy is good, but this kid kicks the snot out of him in SolidWorks.
Me, I cant hardly do a dam thing with SolidWorks, but can hold my own with AutoCad.
I would love to upgrade tp ACAD 09, but the cost is up there. I think next time its gonna be Solidworks for us.

BTW, congrats on the new job, I been there with the dress shirt and tie, you get use to it after a while. I had a hard time with cubicle life, a little bit of Dilbert in everyday.
nothing special about autocad9 that you couldn't do in 2000

I've used every autocad since 12, plus inventor, mechanical desktop, solid edge, solid works, pro engineer, unigraphics, ironcad, bobcad... and some CAM software

once you learn the parametric based 3d systems they are a lot faster in doing 3d than autocad, they also have the advantage when doing 2d drawings of 3d objects of when you have to change a dimension of the part it automaticly updates the drawing to be printed and given to the fab shop.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

My current employer wasnt too happy, especially the guy who is gonna get all my work..... o well.... lol.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
My current employer wasnt too happy, especially the guy who is gonna get all my work..... o well.... lol.
If i'm feeling froggy I'll usually inform them that they can only be mad at themselves for not treating me better so that I would want to stay.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kohburn
If i'm feeling froggy I'll usually inform them that they can only be mad at themselves for not treating me better so that I would want to stay.
that is the main reason we all start to look, one time i went to quit and the guy said wait till this afternoon and got 5gr more than the new offer, I stayed but later asked him why didn't he pay me more from the beginning?

Old 12-02-2008, 11:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kohburn
once you learn the parametric based 3d systems they are a lot faster in doing 3d than autocad, they also have the advantage when doing 2d drawings of 3d objects of when you have to change a dimension of the part it automaticly updates the drawing to be printed and given to the fab shop.
Sold!!! Thanks, that's exactly what my cadd guys said...just wanted a couple outside opines.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member

congrats man.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah, well I use Google Sketchup, bitches. The FREE version... cause I gots to pimp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Job Again...