Off Topic A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

New Job Again...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 02:25 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Solid works has a free trial period, you could try it to see if it fits your needs FM.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

FM, the dollar factor down the road is always number one to me. AutoCad is ingrained in everyone, and was the standard bearer forever. From hiring engineering students, its painfully obvious to me that Solidworks is what they are good at, not AutoCad, so to me as a business, I want them using what they have learned and what they are comfortable on. I buy whats most productive.
Its interesting to observe the changing of the guard so to speak. My old school guy has 6-7 years under his belt with AutoCad. I have an intern from New England Tech, that knows Solidworks. He brought in his laptop with a student version on it. He can keep up, and even be ahead on some stuff. My work is pretty simple stuff, mechanical components,with a lot of substructures, and CNC stuff. We try to do a lot of preproduction prototyping, and its way easier with the solidworks. A lot less trial and error down the line. It took me forever to get from 2D to 3D, and now that we do, i cant imagine how we did it previously.
One of my engineering buddys works for a screw company. They sent him off for 2 weeks training on Solidworks. He hates it because its so different from what he knows, but has no choice, its whats being used everywhere. Teaching the old dogs are tough.
My understanding is it will be under 10K a seat to do it, including a new system, and can be less if you have a lot of buying power. I think long and longer about major upgrade costs like that, I have spent tons on AutoCad upgrades and been extremly disappointed. I really think this one is worth it.
I guess every person has there own preference though. You say tomato, I say To'matto

Old 11-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I have seen solid works, and i think its more geared towards mechanical stuff, drawing parts and assemblies, not for all types of work.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

congrats ems!!

Old 12-01-2008, 02:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Congratulations on the new job bro! Wearing a suit and tie sucks, but not making the big bucks sucks even more!

Old 12-01-2008, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Congratulations!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new job,, Sounds much better,,, Hope all works out Bro!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Congratulations on landing the new job, Eric!

Old 12-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. I start december 15... puttin my two weeks in tomorrow.... i was supposed to have tomorrow and wednesday off, but i got a surprise for my boss hes not gonna like. Im gonna go in and put my two weeks in....lol

Old 12-01-2008, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
I have seen solid works, and i think its more geared towards mechanical stuff, drawing parts and assemblies, not for all types of work.
Your absolutely correct, its not for everyone.
I saw a guy doing some architectural drawing on Solid Works, It looked more difficult then using AutoCad. I couldnt imagine doing electronic schematics in anything but AutoCad.
Like I told FM, it works for me, because we make mechanical components. It might work for him, because he makes big assembly's.

BTW, impressive looking company to work for. Good luck there.
The dress shirt an tie ain't so bad, but, I always hated trying to match the dam tie to what I was wearing.

Quick Reply: New Job Again...