Chain Slack Question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Chain Slack Question.

Ok I have rode about 1400 miles so far since I got the bike in mid may. I checked the slack today and the chain was a little loose. So I adjusted it 1 full turn. Now it's slightly tight it has 1" play (maybe a little more) instead of 1.4". Is it ok or should I go back and turn it out a 1/4 turn? I'm guessing when I go and ride the bike it will loosen up a little. I'm not going to break the chain am I?

Old 07-07-2007, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Chain Slack Question.

No, you won't break the chain. Do check the chain slack with somebody sitting on the bike so the slack will be reduced to it's smallest amount.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Also play with the tightest part of the chain. Having the chain too tight just messes up you CS shaft, seal and tranny.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:33 PM

Correct chain slack is 30-40 mm. On the centerstand, this is the only way I know its right, dont follow this procedure with weight on the rear tire it wont be correct. Im sure you can measure with the tire on the ground but I dont know how to tell you to do it.

Take a mm ruler put something under it so its stable and in the correct spot to measure off the lower chain in the center betweem the sprockets, roll the wheel forward to remove the slack. Push down on the chain with one finger press firmly but not hard, note where the top of the chain is on the ruler, keep the ruler in the same spot, press up with one finger and same amount of force and measure from the top of the chain again, this will be the samespot you used for the lower measurement.

You need 30-40 mm between the two measurements. Note: the tick marks on any bike are inaccurate do not try to line the wheel up to them, move the adjusters equal amounts on both sides to keep the wheel aligned.

Torque the axle nut to 80 ft lbs and use a new cotter pin. Ride the bike to warm the chain and then lube it every 400 miles.

Yes, Dragone is right about what happens when its too tight, it will damage your drive or make it leak. My husband did this to his bike fortunately I realized when he said it was more torquey that he had the chain too tight. I found out that he was pushing on the chain too hard when he was measuring. Newbie mistake lol

Old 07-08-2007, 03:54 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mnosbor

Correct chain slack is 30-40 mm. On the centerstand, this is the only way I know its right, dont follow this procedure with weight on the rear tire it wont be correct. Im sure you can measure with the tire on the ground but I dont know how to tell you to do it.

Take a mm ruler put something under it so its stable and in the correct spot to measure off the lower chain in the center betweem the sprockets, roll the wheel forward to remove the slack. Push down on the chain with one finger press firmly but not hard, note where the top of the chain is on the ruler, keep the ruler in the same spot, press up with one finger and same amount of force and measure from the top of the chain again, this will be the samespot you used for the lower measurement.

You need 30-40 mm between the two measurements. Note: the tick marks on any bike are inaccurate do not try to line the wheel up to them, move the adjusters equal amounts on both sides to keep the wheel aligned.

Torque the axle nut to 80 ft lbs and use a new cotter pin. Ride the bike to warm the chain and then lube it every 400 miles.

Yes, Dragone is right about what happens when its too tight, it will damage your drive or make it leak. My husband did this to his bike fortunately I realized when he said it was more torquey that he had the chain too tight. I found out that he was pushing on the chain too hard when he was measuring. Newbie mistake lol

Well come to think of it I only tightned it from 12 oclock then moved it to 6 oclock. So it was only a 1/2 turn tightened. I don't think the chain has ever been tightened before. I rode the bike and it felt the same to me I don't think The small amount I tightedned it will cause any damage. Thanks for all the tips though.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:15 PM

Its your bike and your safety, do with it what you think is right.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:25 AM

well I found that with mnosbor's method, which is the method I learned. A 1/4 of a turn +/- about 2-3mm.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member

So the play in the chain is the movement between up and down right? If so then my chain was pretty loose and now it's in spec. It moves about 1" up and almost 1/2" down so I should be good.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:06 AM

so the full motion is 1 1/2" right? sounds good...

Old 07-21-2007, 03:08 PM

its 30-40mm total which what your saying it sounds like its too loose. follow the instructions I posted above Im pretty sure your not measuring correctly in the first place. You dont want your chain to come off.