Push left, go left?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:33 AM
Default Push left, go left?

ok, maybe i am not understanding this correctly, but what does this mean.

If I push forward on my left handle bar, wont the bike go right?

I hope i dont sound like an idiot.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:09 AM
Default RE: Push left, go left?

No you dont sound like an idiot. I had been riding for years and did it by nature but when I read it in the state motorcycle handbook I could not figure out what they were talking about. In fact my husband who started riding at the same age couldnt figure it out either :doh:

Its countersteering and because I suck at explaining it this link should just about cover it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering

Youll probably find you already do it, though it is good to practice the low speed countersteering it will help you get around right turns better.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:36 AM

Here is a Video Demonstration.

http://www.livevideo.com/video/RideY...tersteeri.aspx

Old 06-19-2007, 05:59 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Depending at what speed you are playing with, when you dip your left knee the left arm pushes. countersteering. vise versa. I will not bore you with supermoto or flat track, but check it out sometime. Just basics and keep on reading up and trying it.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Just go out on the road and try it. 50 mph is good, push on the left bar so as to turn your wheel to the right and the bike will go left. Visa versa on the right side.

It is all about the front wheel and the shape of it. If you put your bike on a rear stand so it is upright, go to the front, crouch down and look at the front tire. Now turn the bars slightly to the right and go back to the frontand look at the tire,when your traveling at the proper speed and this happens the bike will want to follow up the contour of the tire, it will fall in this direction and that will causes it to go left.

The best read for this and to understand the mechanics of riding especially counter steering are 2 books called Twist of the wrist & twist of the wrist 2. They are a little dated but will give you untold insight into learning and improving your riding skills.

Check out this DVD by Code, search and you will find his books too! The best read for sure.

Good luck!

Old 06-19-2007, 02:56 PM

I forget about Keith Code. Sometimes you can get the DVD and a book for $25 or something like that its in their store but I dont see it now. They also have the books on ebay and amazon. I got the DVD and TOTW II last Christmas.

Their website is www.superbikeschool.com also here is their short video on countersteering http://www.superbikeschool.com/multi-media/****.php

Old 06-20-2007, 06:51 AM

Crazy...

Old 06-20-2007, 02:51 PM

I forgot to mention about teamsnapples video. Do not let go of a Ninja 250 handlebars unless you are prepared for some alarming wobble. The front end leaves some to be desired in that department could use a stabilizer (none available).

It has something to do with the bias ply tires at least thats my theory, based on my experience running bias ply on my truck. If you have brand new tires its not so bad.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:59 AM

i'm new also and it really didn't work for me at first either. i finally figured out that as i was pushing left with my left hand i was fighting it and also pulling right with my right hand. my instructor said i wasn't trusting the "jedi-ness" of the bike. i would freak out and try to pull it back upright.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

push pull it does not mater, if you pull with the rt the bike will go left too. I will push to set the bike up for a turn and usally pull to make adjustments through the turn.

Quick Reply: Push left, go left?