Where did the power go?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Where did the power go?

ORIGINAL: JS Kawi Dude

No backfiring at all. I still need to loose the smog crap though. From what I heard that is the reason for my deceal popping and discoloring of that nice stainless header!. I used a DJ kit and followed their directions as far as main jet size. What would I gain by going to a larger jet? (sorry for the dumb question!) I'm still trying to squeeze the best fuel mileage as possible. I'm not sure i want to tackle putting the Clarke tank on just yet. That could be next winter's big mod.
your muzzy will discolor no matter what, by removing/not removingthe smog crap you just get to choose how dark/light you want your discoloration. it's common for the muzzy to discolor since it's stainless. but, removal of that crap will help your decel popping and help the exhaust run cooler.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:23 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

doesnt matter now bro.... BG doesnt ceramic coat thiers anymore, so they are all stainless, and you will get the discoloration.... but i got the ceramic coated one

Old 03-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

doesnt matter now bro.... BG doesnt ceramic coat thiers anymore, so they are all stainless, and you will get the discoloration.... but i got the ceramic coated one
yeah, i saw that a couple months ago. that must mean that pipes like yours is worth like double what it cost when you bought it. don't you think?

Old 03-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

wanna buy it?

Old 03-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

wanna buy it?
.........oh, you mean the pipe?

Old 03-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 09KLXowner

yep ems, that was what I use to run on my KLX with my BigGun full and it would bounce off the rev limiter all day long. There was no "stop pulling" before 10,000 rpms.
I'm pretty skeptical of this unless you have a dyno run to back that up. Every klx that has been dyno'd here shows the torque starting to drop off at around 7 or 8K with max HP around 8 to 8.5K. I think the only thing that is going to have an appreciable affect on that, assuming the bike is jetted well to begin with, is a different CAM profile, but you didn't have that if I remember correctly.

ORIGINAL: 09KLXowner
I enlarged my snorkel hole but left the lid on. I once tried it w/o the lid and it wouldn't rev hardly at all. I think some of these newer guys think there is a benefit of running with no lid, but it seems like every story I read of someone trying it turns out to be a week long of trying to dial the bike in until they realize that once they put the lid back on it cured the problem. Just enlarging the snorkel hole is the key I think. The "3x3" airbox mod is common on any DRZ which means enlarging the snorkel hole on top of the airbox and rejetting, it works the same for the KLX.
While I don't doubt that your bike might have performed poorly with the lid-off vs just pulling or enlarging the snorkel hole, I think you are over generalizing on the reason why. I suspect the reason for yours behaved the way it did is simply because of your jetting. If you jetted a bit richer, it would run better with the lid off (more air). I don't think that somehow the airflow is bad or more turbulent or whatever that might somehow cause the bike to run poorly with the lid off vs enlarging the snorkel hole. I think you just "tuned" the lid to your jetting, as oppose to the other way around. There are plenty of examples of bikes running fantastic with the lid off.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

you're absolutely correct. When I said "wouldn't stop pulling until 10 grand" I think I should've used the word climbed to 10 grand with no hesitation. I honestly do not know when the powertailed off but I do know it would hit redline instantly with no bogging or stumbling.
As far as the airbox lid, yes I did tune it for the enlarged hole I guess. By increasing the main jet and maybe the pilot it probably would've run better with the lid completely removed. I just liked the extra security of having a little covering over my engine's mouth. Points well taken.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I went as high as a 130 Keihin main and had a full throttle surge with the lid off. I've backed down to a 128, and doubled the airbox opening size. If anything its a tad rich based on the blackening of the fender that I was getting. It runs pretty well though, we'll see how it is when I get back out on the road and can really wring it out.