New Member Area New to KF? Stop in tell us about you.

I did it! '05 ZZR600

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 06:35 PM
Default I did it! '05 ZZR600

Well, I did it. I just purchased a new '05 ZZR600. The bike should be in from the warehouse by the weekend, but unfortunately the jacket I wanted wasn't in stock and doesn't come in 'til next Wednesday, maybe Thursday. UGH! I don't want to take it home until I've got proper riding gear... I know I'd be too tempted to ride without it. I'll be sure to get some pics up as soon as I bring my new baby home.

Frame sliders and a matching pair of swingarm spools should be in the mail, they'll be the first thing I do to my bike when I get it home.

When I was first thinking of getting a bike I thought I might like to do most if not all of the maintenance myself. I've done all the basic routine maintenance on my cars before, including replacing the occasional timing belt, gapping plugs, all the basic stuff. Service Manual in hand, I'd feel comfortable doing just about anything. Of course, I'd have to buy/rent/borrow any specialized tools for some of the bigger jobs, but I'd be okay with that.

So here's my problem. The dealer offered me their "Platinum Plus" 3-year maintenance deal, and although I normally just turn my head at these sorts of deals, the value on this one caught my eye. The deal is $695, and it includes:

3-Years worth of:
Oil & Filter change at 600 Miles
Oil & Filter change every 3mo. or 4k Miles
Unlimited Major Tune-Ups
Unlimited Major Services
Same day service (in by 9am, out by 7am) -- From what I've heard from other customers, they do a pretty good job at this
$200 trade-in allowance on next sportbike purchase
Paid Insurance deductible (up to $250) -- if I drop the bike, they help pay the deductible
Free Tire Mounting (1 per year)
Free Battery Replacement (1 per year)
100% Transferable

Now, again, I'm not usually keen on these sorts of deals, but it looks like from a dollar perspective it'd be a good deal. What do you guys (and gals) typically pay for bike maintenance per year? Tinkering with my own bike does have some appeal, but if it's a huge cost savings, then I may be willing to give that up for now...

I can choose to purchase it now, when I pick up my bike, or if I choose to bring it in at 600 miles, I can do it then as well for the same price. So I've got some time to mull it over.

Thoughts?

Old 06-18-2005, 12:25 AM
Default RE: I did it! '05 ZZR600

I'd say it sounds like a pretty sweet deal. but i would read around the forum and in your owners manual. Get some knowledge of what types of things you can do yourself, and what you would need a shop for. I personally think that most of what is on that list can be done on your own. given you are mechanically inclined. I hate to pay labor costs if it is something relatively easy to do.

either way enjoy the new ride and welcome to the forums.

toozit

Old 06-18-2005, 03:26 AM

Yeah, I'd hate to pay labor for something as simple as changing my oil, but the cost of fluids, filters, and tools for a good 3 years of maintenance I'd imagine would be close to $700. Especially when you throw in a few tire mountings and the $250 bucks if (when?) I drop my bike.

Decisions, decisions...

Old 06-18-2005, 04:38 AM

Congrats on your bike!!

My service plan was more extensive and expensive then yours, but one thing that I have for three years is a tire warranty! any holes and it gets replaced!!