Wheel Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Wheel Balancing

ORIGINAL: DualSport

I usually ride out my driveway to the mountains. About 3-4 miles. Most of the riding is stop/go under 40mph until I get there. I like Nobrakes idea of two rim locks but have also read at the ADVriderabout using the OEM hole for the rim lock and then filling the tubes with about 8oz of Slime. It seems that stuff swiming around in the tube kind ofautomatically balances the wheel. It doesn't make the wheel as bullet proof as Nobrakes, but I am more lazy if I can get away with it. Any ideas about this?
I can understand a liquid in a spinning tire seeking a equal level. But do not understand how more liquid would gather opposite the wheel lock and balance out the tire.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I just got my Third flat in my front tire..I riped the valve stem all three time because I like to run with low air pressure in the front tire. So now I'm going to do what nobrakes did and install two rim locks so the tire balances out and hopefully no more flats. Even if therim lock was180 out from the valve stem you would still have an unbalanced wheel. The rim lock weights a lot more than the valve. The only way to balance the wheel is two rim locks or wheel weights. What Kawasaki should have done is have two pre drilled holes for rim locks![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-17-2007, 05:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Your right. I don't get it either. I guess it is a toss up between weights or a second rim lock.

Thanks

Old 05-17-2007, 10:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I have new tires coming soon. Are rim locks a must? I wasn't planning on putting any on but should I be?

Old 05-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

They are a must if you run low pressure, i.e., down in the 15'ish psi range or lower. If you run 18 and up you probably don't need them.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:24 AM

I've put 1500 miles on my tires with much of it in the desert, very rocky and lots of cactus. I normally run about 14-15 lbs air pressure with no rim locks and haven't had a problem yet. My feeling is if I have a flat or rip a valve stem then I'll think about rim locks. I do use slime in both tires.
Pete
07 KLX250

Old 05-18-2007, 08:37 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onestarr99

I just got my Third flat in my front tire..I riped the valve stem all three time because I like to run with low air pressure in the front tire. So now I'm going to do what nobrakes did and install two rim locks so the tire balances out and hopefully no more flats. Even if therim lock was180 out from the valve stem you would still have an unbalanced wheel. The rim lock weights a lot more than the valve. The only way to balance the wheel is two rim locks or wheel weights. What Kawasaki should have done is have two pre drilled holes for rim locks![sm=smiley20.gif]
lol only took me 2 flats to learn to not screw the valve nut all the way down. You don't need the 2nd rimlock just leave the nut off or leave it loose.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

ORIGINAL: onestarr99

lol only took me 2 flats to learn to not screw the valve nut all the way down. You don't need the 2nd rim lock just leave the nut off or leave it loose.
I don't tighten the valve nutall the way down. Its just I like to run with low air pressure (causing the tire to rip the valve[:@]). The reason forthe secondrim lock is so the tire is balanced. If I only install one Rim lockthe tire will be out of balance. I have the Excella front tire and with 12-15psi this bike handles like its on rails off road. Cant wait to see what a good rear tire will do for this bike!