What are your thoughts on balancing your tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 05:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default What are your thoughts on balancing your tires

I've got a new rear tire I need to replace. I can do the tire myself but not the balancing. How much of an impact do you think it makes to have an unbalanced tire? I primarily ride street.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:07 AM
1st Gear Member

The TM II's I run on the back normally take about 1.5 oz. to balance so you will probably have some vibration but it shouldn't shake you out of the saddle.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:19 AM

Balancing a Motorcycle wheel is actually really easy! If you are able to replace the tire yourself, well, I think that's the hard part.

When I needed my tires balanced I originally thought to just hire a shop to do it -- but I found out it is much cheaper and simpler to do yourself. It'll cost you maybe $60 upfront and you'll be able to do it -forever-.

All you need are a bunch of stick-on weights and a wheel balancer-spinner-thing. All you do is put the tire on the stand, let the tire "roll" slowly until it stops. The point at which it stops is where there's a heavy spot -- mark it. Then all you do is temporarily tape some weights on the other side and "spin it" slowly to see if there's still a heavy spot (see if it still rolls to one spot). You rinse and repeat, and add or take a way weights you've temporarily taped on until it works.

You know what -- this sounds harder to explain; it's easier to see it done on youtube.

Here's the thing you can buy:
Motorcycle Wheel Balancer w/ Stand

Here's a video of a guy that does it -- it really is easy, and it makes a huge difference in how smooth your ride is.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:21 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on balancing yourself.

Under 80km/hr, there isn't much benefit. But once you get up to speed, those vibrations become tiring!

I used re-usable spoke weights on my KLX.

BMW Nickel Wheel Weights :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

Old 05-01-2015, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I've done it several ways. I've clamped the axle in my vise, slide the wheel on, support the other end with a stick and let er spin. I've also left the wheel on the bike, removed the brake caliper and chain and let er spin. I'd use my wheel truing stand, but they don't fit with the tires on

Old 05-01-2015, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by miniman
I've done it several ways. I've clamped the axle in my vise, slide the wheel on, support the other end with a stick and let er spin. I've also left the wheel on the bike, removed the brake caliper and chain and let er spin. I'd use my wheel truing stand, but they don't fit with the tires on
Mounting the wheel without the brake... Diabolically simple!

Last edited by mmmbeefy; 05-01-2015 at 05:12 PM. Reason: 'cause
Old 05-01-2015, 06:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I was taking my front wheel off to get a new tire put on. Noticed a loose rolling sound when you spun the wheel or rolled it across the floor.
The shop said if you use HD tubes you can get up to .5" rubber ***** inside the tubes, makes it difficult to balance.
I have found that with the lightly sprung klx, I need to balance my wheels otherwise when I pass the KTM's on the HY, my wheels are bouncing.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I mounted some D606's before my trip to SC...crazy to ride knobbies on the highway, but I did so I could ride some dirt while there.
I removed the rim locks and mounted the tire with the balance dot on the valve hole. I was/am amazed at how evenly the tire rolled. First tire I haven't balanced(besides my Shinko 705's), 4000mi later the front is shot, only because I have a problem going fast enough through the turns, not because the ***** are worn unevenly causing a hop, like when unbalanced.
With rim locks I have to balance or my tire life really suffers, as do my forks. Nothing worse than riding a pogo stick.
I might try putting the balance dot on the rim lock next time...
To throw a wrench in the works, my buddy put Dynabeads or whatever they're called in his tires last round. Says it feels great but his bike (KLR) still chows the front and he does not use a rim lock...I'm not convinced at all. Plus, I'm clumsy and can see more of those things on the floor than in the tube.
There's my nickel.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I took a chance and tried those DynaBeads when I put new tires on the V-Strom last fall. Balance is perfect up to the 80-85 mph I usually ride on the highway, so I'm satisfied. On the KLX at lower speed I would anticipate no problems at all.

With narrow-section tires, semi-aggressive tread and low speeds I wonder if KLX tires even NEED balancing.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:16 PM
1st Gear Member

My experience is: No rim locks = no need to balance tires.

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts on balancing your tires