What I/you did today on the bike

Old 06-17-2017, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by donA
May I ask where you found your Leo Vince ? and how much if you don't mind
The bike came with it when I bought it off CL a couple of years ago. It will be interesting to see how it works with a 351 kit I intend to order in the near future.
I have settled on selling the Magna after it spit me off the other day, so as my only bike the KLX needs a little more poke. I am tired of fighting to make that 22 year old bike run well. I get it to run good for a few weeks then something else screws up on it. Maybe after I make a couple of pay grades I can think about a new second bike. Looking at abandoning Honda and going team green.
Question: has anyone else had their muffler tab break? What is the best fix? I am thinking about welding a bit of angle on the sub-frame after grinding the remains of the OEM tab off.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Short video from riding last weekend. It's a little different from the usual gopro footage.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Valve check done and one 3.00mm shim is on order. This will get all within 1/2 a thou of the middle of the clearance spec. range. Plan to get plastigage to check cam cap clearance after I install the shims/buckets next week.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Fixed a punctured tube (twice as I pinched it spooning the tire back on), tracked down a vacume leak, cracked vacume cap on the carb where I pulled off the emissions junk.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default PMR Rack

Just got a PMR rack today, wow it looks awesome, Lee is a great guy to work with, very nice and backs up his product. Took me about 10 minutes to install and fit and finish is top notch. Extremely happy. Thanks so much Lee.
Don

Old 07-12-2017, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Spent some more time dialing in suspension. Added 1" preload spacers to the fork, backed off compression 1 click and backed off the rebound on the rear 2 clicks.

Feels better on asphalt and the rear end is staying on the ground better off road.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Got my new OEM rear fender and tail light mounted, changing back to stock from a PO installed fender eliminator small tail light. Doing this to not only be state inspection legal but for the likely improvement in night time visibility for the cagers. I think the stock lens looks fine but the fender goes way too low. Will probably truncate it a bit. Took a few minutes staring at the exploded drawings to get it down. PO soldered the small tail light in so I will have to do the same with the OEM tail light. My BB351 should arrive tomorrow so in a week or so I should be able to drink deeply the happy BB Koolaid.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member

How do you intend to fuel your 351?

Old 07-13-2017, 10:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
How do you intend to fuel your 351?
Run with what have for now. As saddle time experience and spark plug reading goes I will use the well known options to thin or fatten the A/F ratio as my best judgement leads. I asked myself if a drz400 OEM carb would work as I suspect they could be found for little cash. Perhaps a carb from a 4 wheeler, maybe an old DR/XL 350, etc. If I punched a 350 sbc out to 490 ci I would most likely change from that Quadrajet to a Holley 750 or larger. I would expect the stock 250 cc engine's carb bore restricts airflow and limits power potential so a larger bore carb is probably in the future as well as larger diameter exhaust piping. Should be interesting to look at the cylinder head gas ducting for any flow impediments that could be removed for easy power improvements too.

Last edited by snappster; 07-13-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok... You gonna attempt to fuel your 351 with your 250 CVK setup..?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What I/you did today on the bike