Spark arrester drain plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Spark arrester drain plugs

I have an 09 Klx250Sf,is it ok to run it with the exhaust/muffler drain plugs out?.i'm sure its just me but it seems to run better with them out!.

Thanks.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Are you refering to Part #'s 92153a and 92153B the 6mm & 8mm bolts on the bottom of the stock mufler. I dont have the stock exh any more but since at least one of them has a gasket I assume they would let a litttle more exh gass flow. You would probably be bypassing the spark arrester but I would not sweat that on a sf.

I think it would be a better mod to either drill out the exh(should be able to find how by searching forum) or get a slip on.

If you have an aftermarket exh on allready then the "drain plugs" you are refering to might be bungs which provide a port for inserting an exhaust gas analyzer. Those are bigger holes and I would not run the bike with the plugs removed. I noticed my GF's SF has one of those bungs in the 4 barrel exh.

Cheers Jim

Old 05-09-2011, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maninthesea
Are you refering to Part #'s 92153a and 92153B the 6mm & 8mm bolts on the bottom of the stock mufler. I dont have the stock exh any more but since at least one of them has a gasket I assume they would let a litttle more exh gass flow. You would probably be bypassing the spark arrester but I would not sweat that on a sf.

I think it would be a better mod to either drill out the exh(should be able to find how by searching forum) or get a slip on.

If you have an aftermarket exh on allready then the "drain plugs" you are refering to might be bungs which provide a port for inserting an exhaust gas analyzer. Those are bigger holes and I would not run the bike with the plugs removed. I noticed my GF's SF has one of those bungs in the 4 barrel exh.

Cheers Jim
Jim,yes its a stock muffler and you are correct its is the 6mm and 8mm allen bolts.

I will be getting an aftermarket slip on soon,just wondered if running with them out would lean it out.It does not seem to effect the performance.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I know what plugs you are talking about. I run with the rear most one removed. I left the front one on.
The front one is a water drain plug. Not sure what the rear one does but it is letting more exhaust out. I would say it adds about 50% more air out then just the stock exhaust hole. I can plug the stock hole with the rear plug removed and it will still run so I know it is allowing more exhaust out. If you have the stock jetting you might want to leave it in since they run lean from the factory.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't think you will hurt anything, I've rode bikes back in the day with the mufflers off cause I was stupid and it didn't hurt the bike just made me look like a moron.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Rtfm

In the manual it says you are supposed to pull those plugs and run the bike to remove junk that has collected in the muffler. I don't think it will hurt a thing to run with them out. I don't think it will actually make the bike run any better in or out.

SO whatever you like is good.

David