Metal Mesh Oil Filters/ Magnetic Drain Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Metal Mesh Oil Filters/ Magnetic Drain Plugs

This is a 2 question thread

Reusable oil filters, are they worth using
Years ago on a old dual sport I had bought one, then quickly sold the bike. Never got to see if it worked, or even how you clean them.

Been looking at this one Kawasaki KLX 300 250 250R 250S SF Reusable Oil Filter | eBay

Second is there a magnetic oil drain plug for the klx 250s
I have these on every bike I own, but can not find one for the klx. I had even bought 2 different ones online but they dont fit. They may have been listed for the 250 but it may have been older years and maybe one was listed for the 250 ninja

I still see some online
examples
Steel Magnetic Oil Drain Plug Kawasaki KX KLX 250 300 RMZ KLX250 KLX300 Suzuki | eBay

Aluminum Magnetic Oil Drain Plug Kawasaki KX 250f KLX 300 KX250F KLX300 KLX250 | eBay

but both of those show different thread sizes or pitches

Old 02-18-2013, 04:21 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Oh boy!...these metal-mesh oil filters can cause as big a debate as which oil to use...LOL! Here's the only argument about them that comes to my mind. How do you know without any doubt that you've thoroughly cleaned a metal-mesh filter? I'm not saying they can't be cleaned. I think the "sonic tank" cleaning devices probably do the best job, but who knows. A stupidly simple paper filter works and is tossed at every change for very little money. If you have an engine application that is prone to gathering other chemicals or water in the oil, the metal-mesh may be best. I don't have that issue on any reasonable level. Oh...and yes I've used the metal-mesh design in a couple of KLRs in years past...a Scott's I believe. Didn't notice anything that different.

On magnetic drain plugs, never used one..but...you can't hurt anything by doing so.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
On magnetic drain plugs, never used one..but...you can't hurt anything by doing so.
Is the purpose of a magnetic drain plug to attract metal particles? Like dragging a magnet through dirt. Wouldn't any particles be trapped in the oil filter?

Old 02-18-2013, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought a Zeta magnetic oil plug & I do have some metal filings stuck on the magnet everytime when I change the oil!! For 7 bucks I recon well spent, as the metal bits stuck on the magnet I would not want running round the engine.

- ZETA RACING -

Old 02-18-2013, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

That's pretty cool. For less than $10 I'll buy one. Just need to find a place with free shipping.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't think we will necessarily ever know enough as to whether the reusable filters are adequate... you could probably run this bike with no filter, provided you changed your oil enough.

This question came up a year or so back, and there were some testimonials of ppl here using them for years with no major mechanical issues... for what that is worth. I wouldn't use one though, just not my style.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
Is the purpose of a magnetic drain plug to attract metal particles? Like dragging a magnet through dirt. Wouldn't any particles be trapped in the oil filter?
Agreed, but the transmissions on all my vehicles always have that metallic slurry all over the magnet at the bottom of the pan... and those have filters too, its a mystery .

Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 PM
1st Gear Member

ok since I have like 7 bikes all with magnetic plugs I can say yes they work well. But all my bikes dont have paper filters, they usually have some sort of internal screen type filter but I never clean those.

I always have what I call black fuzz on my magnets, once even a nice coil of metal. Im guessing from a thread?

and because ive bought so many magnets before some come with almost flush type magnets. I dont use those, they are not as strong as magnets that stick up almost 1/4 inch. More surface area. Those zeta ones look like the flush type.

Ive even done weight tests with flush and types that stick out. The flush are very weak ive had 2 of them before because sometimes e bay sends whats not pictured on the sale ad.

One example of a flush one I got, magnet pops off. Think of the mess that can do if it bounces off into the engine somewhere
Name:  SAM_1206.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  2.31 MB

Normal fuzz I see
Name:  a-3-3.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  523.8 KB

this was the metal I found once
Name:  0330111516.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  62.3 KB

I usually dont take pics of the magnets because my hands would be oily but every oil change I do on my bikes there is always something stuck

Now I know the klx has a paper filter but shouldnt hurt anything if I had a magnet too

I guess I will take it out and see if my thread checker tool can tell me exactly what pitch the threads are

Old 02-18-2013, 08:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Measured the stock one: the thread on the oil drain plug is 10 x 1.5 mm. Threaded portion 15 mm without the washer in place. I think the magnetic one I have is from Moose, bought it about 4 years ago so the packaging is long gone (and my memory is short).

EDIT: found the part number - Moose Racing M0105.

Last edited by ol'klx-er; 02-18-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member

The magnet will catch stuff that's still abrasive but too fine for the filter to catch. Those large bits are left over from when the bike was made and while they're too big to get through the pick up screen let alone the filter they're still better out of the engine than left in.

Quick Reply: Metal Mesh Oil Filters/ Magnetic Drain Plugs