General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No Spark from plugs In My '97 Ninja zx-1100

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 02:22 AM
Default No Spark from plugs In My '97 Ninja zx-1100

I have been trying to get my bike up and running for the past week or so and everytime I think I come to figure out what the problem is I run into another road bump...the newest being there is no spark coming from the spark plugs...

At first, I thought maybe the engine wasn't getting any gas; however I tested that theory and the fuel pump is sufficiently pumping...I took out the #4 plug and it gave me no spark...I replaced it and another spark plug gave me no spark even when put next to the frame for a ground. Since the #4 plug runs off of the left ignition coil I figured I would test the #2 spark plug comming from the right ignition coil. After trying this out, conclusion was the same, meaning no spark comming from either coils.

From here on im thinking Dam could both of the coils have stoped working at the same time?

What could be going on???

Does anyone know if the coils/ignition box could be the root of this? Or, what is it... I would highly doubt that both of the coils would have stopped working at the same time, what is everyone here's opinion. I'm leaning toward the ignition box, but is there something I'm missing that should be looked at first before purchasing a new computer or coils?

Please help....aghh.... [sm=headbang.gif]

Old 01-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Default RE: No Spark from plugs In My '97 Ninja zx-1100

I had taken my bike apart and it didnt run right, so I wanted to test the sparkplugs to see if it was getting a spark. I thought u could just tap the starter to see, but after 3 hrs found that u have to turn it over several times. Is this your case? As u can tell im sort of new to bikes.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:19 PM

Start checking all of your grounds.... Look for corrosion/rust/paint
what ever.... That is the first place i would look......

Old 01-18-2006, 12:43 AM

Ok went and got the battery fully charged, It ran sweet for about 4-5 min then died again. I'm startiong to ponder, dam its the alternator isn't it. Must be keeping it from getting the good spark needed. It will run in idle then dies is throttle is turned. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 01-18-2006, 05:59 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: clay8up

Ok went and got the battery fully charged, It ran sweet for about 4-5 min then died again. I'm startiong to ponder, dam its the alternator isn't it. Must be keeping it from getting the good spark needed. It will run in idle then dies is throttle is turned. Anyone have any ideas?
Keep a meter on the alternator molex while it runs and see if the volts drop.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:12 PM

Voltage on the battery was around 12V when it only idles and stalls under load.

I've already cleaned the carbs and checked the fuel system, everything is a go there.

I was thinking maybe it was more like 10 min.

The bike cranked over fine when the battery was fully charged, and under throttle load responded perfectly. After the ten minutes though the bike would only idle and under throttle load would stall, which makes me think that the battery was dieing and spark was weaking, due to the digital ignition system. I think if the didgital ignition system doesn't get a certain parameter or the 12V it will weaking then eventually kill all spark. I figure this because when my battery was almost dead the bike turned over and had lights and all this but had no spark.

I totally appreiciate all your help, I know I will find the problem soon, its always a hunt.

Hey dragone where would I find the altenator molex to see if the voltage drops?
I already know the voltage drops on the battery when running.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:35 PM

Forgot to add one more thing, I went and got the battery tested at an auto parts shop and they said the battery was good.

Is it possible that the battery isn't good and isn't holding a charge?

I figure who knows who had the bike before me, and how long it sit, this is all considering that the battery or the throttle response went down minutes after I started her up.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:57 PM

ANyone know what happened here? I hate it when people don't update threads... This is my exact problem.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:39 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

hahaha, you and me both!