General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Where to find motorcycle oil/filters

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Default Where to find motorcycle oil/filters

Hey everybody,

I am looking into doing my first oil change on a '96 ZX-6R, and I wanted to find a good place to buy something as simple as an oil filter. They don't seem to have them at automotive parts places, and the Kawasaki dealer I went to told me that a new one would cost $13. THIRTEEN DOLLARS? That was after he told me that the only type of oil I should ever buy is the Kawasaki's motorcycle blend, since "any oil from Auto Zone will eat up your clutch." Right.

I have looked around at some of the earlier posts and have decided that I am going to buy regular automotive motor oil, making sure that it is not marked 'energy conserving', noting that I don't need to specifically use motorcycle oil in my engine (I know the guy who owned it before me didn't, and the engine runs great) as long as the oil I buy will not ruin a wet clutch. Plus, it's $3 cheaper per quart than the Kawasaki stuff. But where do I find an oil filter for my bike that doesn't cost $13? Is there a way to look up the filter I need and find the part number for different brands? I saw a post about someone finding their motorcycle oil filter at Walmart...is that a likely scenario for a 1996 bike?

Please help me! I know how to change the oil on a bike, but I just need to make sure I have the right filter/oil for the bike.

Thanks!

Old 06-08-2007, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Where to find motorcycle oil/filters

Any of the motorcycle specific oil filters will be in the $10 - $ 15 range .
Do a google search for motorcycle oil filters , look for ' motorcyclenfo.calsci.com' maybe this will help .

Old 06-09-2007, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I wouldn't put automotive oil in your bike. It's not formulated to the way a bike runs. I would put synthic oil in your bike and make sure it's made for bikes. I did and oil change on my bike not to long ago cost me $12 for the filter and $38 for synthic respol racing oil.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:38 AM

Ask your friendy dealer this... "How long has Kawasaki been refining oil ?"

Dealers get a Parts Program Discount on all their parts purchases based on the amount of oil and filters they purchase which means what ??? They HAVE to sell it so they will tell you things like "It makes your clutch slip" or "It will void your warranty" if you use anything else... Pure Scare Tactics.. and against the law...

As far as filters... another touchy subject.. It is ALL about Filter Capture Efficiency..

The best filter you can buy is the new AMSOIL EAO Series filter which is 15 Micron Absolute, next in line I would go with a WIX which will be in the teens at about 80%, then Mobil 1 and K&N. The K&N just doesn't hold as much particulate as the Mobil 1...

Old 06-09-2007, 05:59 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hermolicious84

That was after he told me that the only type of oil I should ever buy is the Kawasaki's motorcycle blend, since "any oil from Auto Zone will eat up your clutch." Right.
WRONG!

Autozone does have motorcycle oil in both Mobil & Valvoline that will work well with the wet clutch. they can also order you a K&N oil filter for your bike.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey doc does AMSOIL have that cool little nut on the outside like K&N that thing is handy? is there a amsoil distributer in northern california?

Old 06-09-2007, 12:10 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Oil Doc

Ask your friendy dealer this... "How long has Kawasaki been refining oil ?"

Dealers get a Parts Program Discount on all their parts purchases based on the amount of oil and filters they purchase which means what ??? They HAVE to sell it so they will tell you things like "It makes your clutch slip" or "It will void your warranty" if you use anything else... Pure Scare Tactics.. and against the law...

As far as filters... another touchy subject.. It is ALL about Filter Capture Efficiency..

The best filter you can buy is the new AMSOIL EAO Series filter which is 15 Micron Absolute, next in line I would go with a WIX which will be in the teens at about 80%, then Mobil 1 and K&N. The K&N just doesn't hold as much particulate as the Mobil 1...
Tried AMSOIL and their EoA filter ,Put this stuff in and my bike sounds like its flyin apart , not impressed with it .

Old 06-09-2007, 12:43 PM

well mikey, not doubting you but, I sell AMSOIL to thousands of Bikers all over the country and have never heard that from one of my customers or have I heard that from other dealers I know who sell to thousands more. Actually, everyone that has reported anything to do with noise in their bikes says the opposite.

That being said, there is always that one here and there that reacts differently to different oils..

AMSOIL sells more Synthetic motorcycle oil than any other company, running2 shifts in the bottling plant trying to keep up with demands.

GS247.... No cool little nut,... sorry... only the finest filter on the Planet !.. I can cut you a deal on a strap wrench if you buy some product though...

As far a N. CA... Me... I deal Nation wide..Depending on where in N. CA you are,your order would probably come from my Portland warehouse or my Las Vegas location. One of the nice things about dealing with me is that there is no Sales Tax in 47 of the 48 lower states. Second is, I set you up with a Complimentary 6 monthPreferred Customer Membership and you buy at my Cost, NO Dealer markup.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:05 PM
1st Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: Oil Doc

well mikey, not doubting you but, I sell AMSOIL to thousands of Bikers all over the country and have never heard that from one of my customers or have I heard that from other dealers I know who sell to thousands more. Actually, everyone that has reported anything to do with noise in their bikes says the opposite.

That being said, there is always that one here and there that reacts differently to different oils..

Those who can run it without this problem ...........that's cool .As for me it will not be in my vehicles .

Old 06-09-2007, 03:11 PM

www.ronayers.com. quick shipping too.

Quick Reply: Where to find motorcycle oil/filters