Safety-Visibility-LIGHTS Show them off

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BleednGreen68
I would be interested in this! Let us know how the install goes and maybe post a vid of it in action? I ordered a replacement bulb for my tail light that has LED's in it. They make 1157 and 1156 replacement bulbs with LED's in them. Alot brighter and less juice to run them. Should be here by the weekend.
Please let us know. I was dissuaded from doing that after reading some poor reviews of doing this. Here is one thing I read:

Motorcycle LED Brake and Tail Lights - webBikeWorld

Old 03-29-2012, 02:23 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I would be interested in this! Let us know how the install goes and maybe post a vid of it in action? I ordered a replacement bulb for my tail light that has LED's in it. They make 1157 and 1156 replacement bulbs with LED's in them. Alot brighter and less juice to run them. Should be here by the weekend.
I hope your results are better than mine with those plug-in 1157/56 style brake and light bulbs. I bought one from one of the large aftermarket DS sites to replace the taillight/brake bulb in my KLR650. In a very short time during a reasonably rough off road dual sport trip in Utah, the bulb disintegrated in the factory plastic taillight lens assembly. I just assumed it was a cheap version and found another in one of our motorcycle shop catalogs from a reputable manufacturer/supplier. It did the exacty same thing. I've kind of come to the conclusion that these OEM plug-in style replacements aren't really suited to rough use. LEDs are generally quite tough as a rule, but there must be something lacking when you try to make them within a traditional glass taillight bulb design. Seems odd when you consider that the OEM taillight bulb in my '06 KLX is the original bulb, and it's been hammered in true off road fashion. If one mainly uses the bike for pavement, this might not be a problem.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I have 8 turn signals, but that's for another post. I am going to pick up one of these bad boys soon.

Mens Master Nylon Mesh Motorcycle Jacket With Ce Armor Neon Yellow Scorpionexo Clearance

Old 03-29-2012, 02:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
I have 8 turn signals, but that's for another post. I am going to pick up one of these bad boys soon.

Mens Master Nylon Mesh Motorcycle Jacket With Ce Armor Neon Yellow Scorpionexo Clearance
I tried on some of this gear last week and really like it. I just bought scorpion helmet.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I will definitely post a follow-up.

I tried some 1156/1157 LEDs on my snowmobiles a couple years ago. They were a big dissappointment. Not near as bright as a regular stock lamp. I DO, however, use the LED peanut lamps in my sled for the speedo/tach indicator lights. You can get the 194-style lamps with 5050 chips on them. That's what I use in the sleds.

If you do go with LEDs, make sure you get the "5050" series. The 5050's consist of a single square chip, with 3 LEDs on the one die. They are super-bright. The standard T3 style LEDs don't come close in light output. I use 5050 LEDs in my automobile "festoon" lamps. I have the 6-chip models (6x 5050 = 18 LEDs). They are white, and very bright.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej

How many directions can I guy turn? I guess you can do an up and down for jumps and drop offs

Old 03-30-2012, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member

My roll of reflective tape came this morning. I am going to cut some pieces and apply it to areas that I think will make me more visible.

Front fender, brush guards, side fairing, rear fender edge etc.

Hopefully it does not look like poo when on. I am going to stick to just putting it on plastic as I don't know if the adhesive is strong enough to mess with painted areas. The tape is silver with white lines so its not the YELLOW or ORANGE GLOW stuff.

I will post the pics when complete.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I added some tape to the brush guards and the fork covers.

If you squint you can see them in action

Attached Thumbnails Safety-Visibility-LIGHTS  Show them off-reflective-tape.jpg  
Old 03-31-2012, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member

my HID creates a nice amount of light to grab attention...shows up alot during the daytime is really why I like it.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Agreed. I think the daytime brightness/whiteness does make you appear closer. A dim light seems to give the impression of more distance. I will be doing it for sure.

Now more for the night:

A but more reflective tape for the front. The two middle spots are the inside of the radiator cowl. Hidden until the lights it it. The fork locations blend in great so you don't notice them. The hand guards are cut to match the contour and I like it.

Now for side and back.

Attached Thumbnails Safety-Visibility-LIGHTS  Show them off-reflective-tape.jpg  

Last edited by stephenmarklay; 03-31-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Safety-Visibility-LIGHTS Show them off