New klx 250 owner! Looking to get started modding!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default DynoJet Kit

Let me google that for you

I had my local independent cycle shop order it for a few $$ less than directly from DynoJet. Amazon may also have one.

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/2206.pdf

this one is good too, but don't turn your fuel screw out 20 turns (2 works better): http://hmfracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1617

Last edited by IDRIDR; 06-16-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I got one from amazon for 60 shipped

Old 06-17-2011, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Let me google that for you

I had my local independent cycle shop order it for a few $$ less than directly from DynoJet. Amazon may also have one.

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/2206.pdf

this one is good too, but don't turn your fuel screw out 20 turns (2 works better): Kawasaki KLX 250 slip on - HMF Engineering Forums
I really like the one that you linked with the HMF forum. Is that the same set up that you have?

Old 06-17-2011, 03:56 AM
1st Gear Member

The HMF thread is one of the best step-by-step I've seen on removing the carb. I found it in one of the FAQs. It suggests changing the pilot (I did, but went back to stock), keeping and shimming the stock needle (no way! get the dynojet needle), and upping the main jet (did so with the dynojet). It's a good reference. But get the dynojet kit if nothing else for the needle. The DJ kit also comes with the correct drill bits for enlarging the slider hole and pulling out the EPA plug from the fuel mix screw, and a whole set of main jets.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The HMF thread is one of the best step-by-step I've seen on removing the carb. I found it in one of the FAQs. It suggests changing the pilot (I did, but went back to stock), keeping and shimming the stock needle (no way! get the dynojet needle), and upping the main jet (did so with the dynojet). It's a good reference. But get the dynojet kit if nothing else for the needle. The DJ kit also comes with the correct drill bits for enlarging the slider hole and pulling out the EPA plug from the fuel mix screw, and a whole set of main jets.
Did you notice a significant increase in power after installing the Dynojet kit? I'm just wondering because I'm worried that the carb is not going to be getting enough air if I have the kit installed without custom exhaust headers and a aftermarket air filter.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
Did you notice a significant increase in power after installing the Dynojet kit? I'm just wondering because I'm worried that the carb is not going to be getting enough air if I have the kit installed without custom exhaust headers and a aftermarket air filter.
increase in power = yes.
The stock air filter is pretty darn big and I have a hard time believing that an aftermarket filter will make a significant difference. I've seen much smaller filters on larger bikes. My main reason for a twinair was so that I could have two filters, and if one got dirty on a long trip out, I'd have a backup to throw in (part of my box of spare parts carried in the pickup). Haven't done the header yet and there are mixed opinions on how much difference they make. They probably make a difference, but you should notice a big jump without it. I did. But with that said, a header was ordered yesterday on is on the way. Can only do so much at a time!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:55 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

increase in power = yes.
The stock air filter is pretty darn big and I have a hard time believing that an aftermarket filter will make a significant difference. I've seen much smaller filters on larger bikes. My main reason for a twinair was so that I could have two filters, and if one got dirty on a long trip out, I'd have a backup to throw in (part of my box of spare parts carried in the pickup). Haven't done the header yet and there are mixed opinions on how much difference they make. They probably make a difference, but you should notice a big jump without it. I did. But with that said, a header was ordered yesterday on is on the way. Can only do so much at a time!
I didn't think so about the air filter, but I haven't looked at the stock one yet. I'm holding off on the header pipe myself until I get everything else in line. Thanks for being so helpful and answering all of my questions. One more question If I plan on getting the 351 kit, should I just go along with the same Dynojet set up that you linked above? It says that it is for a 300cc engine.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:12 PM
1st Gear Member

On my bike the biggest improvment was the powercore 4 slip-on alone with no jetting yet. I then added a dynojet kit for stage 2 and a Uni filter and noticed very little power increase with them but the bike ran better yet over all and lost all popping on decel. I then added a powerbomb header and it was a pretty good improvment by itself. So not all experiences are alike.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:37 PM
1st Gear Member

You will be fine with that DJ kit with the 351..

Old 06-17-2011, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

i bought my bike new in 06, its been a great bike and responds well to mods, i have the 351 kit, carb, and a pro circuit slip on, as far as looks go i went with a custom graphics at $150 it could be cheaper than new plastics.

a link for the graphics
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ics-klx-29072/