New klx 250 owner! Looking to get started modding!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default New klx 250 owner! Looking to get started modding!

I just purchased my first ever bike about 3 weeks ago, a 2006 klx 250s. I'm a little dissapointed in the bikes power, and would like to go about increasing it the most I possibly can. Are all of the mods from the 07-11 klx 250s pretty much applicable to the 2006 klx? Just asking because I haven't seen too many people on here that have a 2006 like I do. In particular, I'm looking to get performance air filters, oil filters, the 351 big bore kit, rejet the carb, and maybe get exhaust headers for my current HMF slip on that came on the bike when I got it. I know very minimal about engine work but have worked on bike carbs and quad carbs countless times so I'm hoping with a little help from the forum members that I can get this baby running the right way Thanks!

Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome.
'06 and '07 are basically the same bike.. so yes
Looks like you got your mods lined up pretty nice..
The 351 kit will help in the power (tq) area.. I rode CousinLarry's '07 with the 351.. and that **** RIPS!
I am saving my pennies for the kit myself!

Old 06-16-2011, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matasickle
Welcome.
'06 and '07 are basically the same bike.. so yes
Looks like you got your mods lined up pretty nice..
The 351 kit will help in the power (tq) area.. I rode CousinLarry's '07 with the 351.. and that **** RIPS!
I am saving my pennies for the kit myself!
I would also like to replace the bikes fenders and plastic with either red or black, is there a good aftermarket source to get plastic for this bike?

I was thinking about going with a twin air filter, I've heard that they get the most air to the engine.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
I would also like to replace the bikes fenders and plastic with either red or black, is there a good aftermarket source to get plastic for this bike?

I was thinking about going with a twin air filter, I've heard that they get the most air to the engine.
Don't know about the plastics or the filter..
I am just going to order a UNI (I have the lid off of my airbox)

Also.. consider wrapping your present plastics in vinyl..
A fellow BoRn member did it to his bike.. sh*t looks great (and a lot cheaper than new plastics):
Vinyl wrap (lots of pics) - Band Of Riders
[imghttp://img248.imageshack.us/img248/5397/fender2l.jpg][/img]

Old 06-16-2011, 08:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I just purchased my first ever bike about 3 weeks ago, a 2006 klx 250s. I'm a little dissapointed in the bikes power, and would like to go about increasing it the most I possibly can. Are all of the mods from the 07-11 klx 250s pretty much applicable to the 2006 klx? Just asking because I haven't seen too many people on here that have a 2006 like I do. In particular, I'm looking to get performance air filters, oil filters, the 351 big bore kit, rejet the carb, and maybe get exhaust headers for my current HMF slip on that came on the bike when I got it. I know very minimal about engine work but have worked on bike carbs and quad carbs countless times so I'm hoping with a little help from the forum members that I can get this baby running the right way Thanks!
Congratulations!!! It's good to see another member with the best year: the 2006! I bought my '06 in September. It was all stock, but now it's not . You'll find a good bump in power with jetting, exhaust, and airbox. Many change their front countersprocket from stock 14 tooth to 13 tooth for better trail performance. Once you get riding and feel comfortable pushing it, you may find like many of us have that the stock suspension has something to be desired. The springs were too weak for me (at around 200#). Stiffer springs and a valve kit in the forks made a world of difference, and because of that the bike is even faster just because the improved suspension soaks up the bumps. There's many old threads on here from 2006 owners, but many of those have moved on to something else or don't speak up here as much. The 2006-2007 may be considered a little more dirt worthy with more travel than the 2009+ models.

I have a friend here in town that just started a vinyl wrap business and has been trying to sell me on some, but I haven't bit yet.

Welcome!

Last edited by IDRIDR; 06-16-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matasickle
Don't know about the plastics or the filter..
I am just going to order a UNI (I have the lid off of my airbox)

Also.. consider wrapping your present plastics in vinyl..
A fellow BoRn member did it to his bike.. sh*t looks great (and a lot cheaper than new plastics):
Vinyl wrap (lots of pics) - Band Of Riders
[imghttp://img248.imageshack.us/img248/5397/fender2l.jpg][/img]
The vinyl looks amazing, thank you! I'm wondering how well it would work on dirtbike plastic. I searched that thread but couldn't figure out where he ordered the wrap, just some Hexis website but I saw no place to actually order.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Congratulations!!! It's good to see another member with the best year: the 2006! I bought my '06 in September. It was all stock, but now it's not . You'll find a good bump in power with jetting, exhaust, and airbox. Many change their front countersprocket from stock 14 tooth to 13 tooth for better trail performance. Once you get riding and feel comfortable pushing it, you may find like many of us have that the stock suspension has something to be desired. The springs were too weak for me (at around 200#). Stiffer springs and a valve kit in the forks made a world of difference, and because of that the bike is even faster just because the improved suspension soaks up the bumps. There's many old threads on here from 2006 owners, but many of those have moved on to something else or don't speak up here as much. The 2006-2007 may be considered a little more dirt worthy with more travel than the 2009+ models.

I have a friend here in town that just started a vinyl wrap business and has been trying to sell me on some, but I haven't bit yet.

Welcome!
Thanks for the warm welcome! I may need some help from you down the road . What size jets do you recommend I get and which ones should I replace?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the warm welcome! I may need some help from you down the road . What size jets do you recommend I get and which ones should I replace?
Any time. My signature lines below gives you a start. The DynoJet #2206 kit, which is listed on DJ's site for the 300 KLX, works great. It has an aggressive needle that many of us have found to work great and that puts the stock one to shame. What's your elevation, and what elevations will you plan to ride? I ask, because many find the #128 pilot better, but they seem to be at lower elevations than me at 2500 ft and up.

Replace the main and the needle, which come in the DJ kit. Some do the pilot. I did, but put the stock back in due to richness. When you do the 351 kit, you'll likely want to bump the pilot and main up from what I hear. Drill the enrichment (choke/start) jet out to 0.018" if it doesn't always start so easy. Search around here for instructions, but if you don't find them when the time comes, let us know.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 06-16-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Contact Melissa *** from Hexis.. she will send you a free sample booklet
melissa@hexisusa.com

Old 06-16-2011, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Any time. My signature lines below gives you a start. The DynoJet #2206 kit, which is listed on DJ's site for the 300 KLX, works great. It has an aggressive needle that many of us have found to work great and that puts the stock one to shame. What's your elevation, and what elevations will you plan to ride? I ask, because many find the #128 pilot better, but they seem to be at lower elevations than me at 2500 ft and up.

Replace the main and the needle, which come in the DJ kit. Some do the pilot. I did, but put the stock back in due to richness. When you do the 351 kit, you'll likely want to bump the pilot and main up from what I hear. Drill the enrichment (choke/start) jet out to 0.018" if it doesn't always start so easy. Search around here for instructions, but if you don't find them when the time comes, let us know.
Bike starts great and I'll be riding in Ohio for the most part! I bought the bike with a HMF slip on a guts tall boy seat so your the guy to be talking too! Thanks! Can you link me to place to order that jet kit?

Quick Reply: New klx 250 owner! Looking to get started modding!