Completely new to modding...heeelp

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Default Completely new to modding...heeelp

Greetings! Just recently got my '09 KLX250SF and haven't even gotten 200 miles on it before I started to get the modding itch. I've never modded a motorcycle before so I'm completely lost. I've read through tons of forums and articles and still have no idea exactly where to start. So I figured I'd join the forum, throw some ideas out and see what comes from the other end.

Today I grabbed my credit card and had a spontaneous online shopping spree.

Here's what I got:
-FMF Q4 exhaust
-FMF Megabomb header
-Zeta red handguards and black XC covers with integrated signals
-Edge tail kit with integrated signals
-Red OEM fenders/headlight cowl/engine shroud (from '09 KLX250S)

Here's what I need... or want (and feel completely free to add to this list):
-Jetting kit
-Red DRC radiator hose kit. Can't find this online for the '09 KLX anymore
-New seat

Here's what I'm wondering... what jetting kit should I invest in? And how easy are they to install? I'm pretty inclined mechanically but haven't actually messed with an engine on my own before. Should the jetting kit be installed before the header/exhaust? Should I be investing in other mechanical mods as well? Let me know! I'm very interested in doing this right the first time.

I browsed through a few pages after using the search under "how to" and "install" and couldn't really find what I was looking for. Are there also tutorials essentially that kind of walk people through the process of any/all these installations (not the aesthetic ones)?

It's a kick *** bike and I'm extremely excited to start getting material in to work on it. Including the bore kit in the somewhat distant future.

Last edited by dolomite; 04-08-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:54 AM
1st Gear Member

this is probably one of the best sites on how to jet the carb Kawasaki KLX 250 slip on - HMF Engineering Forums

do the jets at the same time as the exhaust....

Old 04-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

personally i do not see the need to buy an expensive jet kit. i have the N1TC needle and just bought 2 jets, probably less than 30$. Just my opinion, i have never jetted anything or been into a carb before my KLX. Its not hard, be prepared i doubt you will get the jetting correct the first time. I have had my carb out more times than i like to think about. Do performance mods first, then stuff to make it look pretty...

Old 04-08-2011, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
personally i do not see the need to buy an expensive jet kit. i have the N1TC needle and just bought 2 jets, probably less than 30$. Just my opinion, i have never jetted anything or been into a carb before my KLX. Its not hard, be prepared i doubt you will get the jetting correct the first time. I have had my carb out more times than i like to think about. Do performance mods first, then stuff to make it look pretty...
I am a little dumber than EMS. I bought the kit for 55$ shipped from amazon. It has the needle, the drill bit and screw to remove the EPA plug, it has a new spring for the throttle slide, it has numerous main jets like maybe 8 of them, a cool permanent case that I can use to store the jets, and it has good instructions for dumbies like me to follow. Oh and stickers. So I feel like I got something for the extra few bucks.

I do not want to take that carb out any more than I have to. It's not much fun.

So Dolomite, this is the SF version so a street bike. I have lots of mod ideas for dirt armor. Most important is a good utah skid plate. I would want it for a steet bike too. You can still find red hoses at wheeling cycle supply along with many more street oriented farkles.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I get to pull mine out and change all the jetting soon again...yay... tons of fun. Im good at it now though.