New to dirtbike ! Got a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 03:48 AM
Default New to dirtbike ! Got a few questions.

Hi I been ridding 4 wheelers but now I hit a dirtbike 2006 250klx for the street with the stick blinker and lights and everything. I was wondering if I should keep the engine run button on or off when I put it away if it even matters?
also what are some maintenance I should keep up with and how often. I will be ridding trails and roads.
Also if I should do shying else to it . 2800 miles and kept really clean from first owner.
Also can I remove these blinkers ?! I feel like I'm gonna break them in the trails lol

Old 08-01-2022, 11:32 AM
1st Gear Member

The on/off switch on the throttle side of the bars being on or off will not matter when the ignition key is off. So if you always pull over and turn your key off you need not be concerned with the handlebar switch.

I can tell you the stock blinkers are not too bad, plus there are low buck replacements that have OEM look on either ebay or Amazon. I got a set when I broke one rear signal. There are a bunch of different signal possibilities. I just did the replacements since it was easy and I didn't need to do anything more than to do the one signal. I'd keep them because of the road use.

Otherwise there are hundreds of things you can do with the bike. But for now, I'd say ride it and see how it goes, then change or fix what you want. Look at the things in the forums to see what is done or what problems crop up and then figure what you really do need to do. Example - handlebar risers, you need to ride the bike long enough to figure out if risers are needed. It isn't an automatic. I had risers on my KLX when I bought it, felt like I was riding with ape hangers, so I took them off and sold them. No regrets and money in my pocket. Figure out what you really need and pan the rest.

Last edited by klx678; 08-01-2022 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member

First, Welcome and congratulations on finding that bike. How about some pictures?

Personally, I stay away from ever touching the on/off switch on my dual sport bikes (KLR&KLX). I have a couple of riding buds who turn their bikes off with the switch when we stop for a break. Then after about 10 minutes I notice their headlight still on so I have to tell them to turn the key off so the battery doesn't run down. As for maintenance on the bike, are the tires and tubes original? If so, change them out right away. You don't want to be crusing down the road and find out why. For routine maintenance, check and change the oil regularly, make sure you maintain the air filter. Get an extra one that is ready to pop in when it's time to clean and oil the other one. Clean and lubricate the chain more than you'd like to and while your there inspect both sprockets. One thing I always do is check the air pressure in the tires, especially if the bike hasn't been ridden in a week or so. Spokes should also be checked. As klx678 mentioned about Amazon blinkers, they are very inexpensive (compared to OEM) and they look just like stock. I just replaced the rear blinkers on my KLX after the OEM stems pretty much disintegrated from age. Ha, that last part sounds like what's going on with me, falling apart from age.

These bikes are a lot of fun and I know you're going to enjoy riding it!

Old 08-02-2022, 11:17 AM
1st Gear Member

I am on board with your comment on the kill switch. I only use it every blue moon, usually just turning the key off.

I did OEM style replacements for around $17/pair on Amazon
<i>click here</i> click here
At that price it just isn't worth it to go to some trick signals. At eight bucks a piece it's hart do beat them.