new here, new owner, first ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Default new here, new owner, first ride

Hey guys,

Found this site from someone posting on ATVrider. I haven't had a real chance to read thru everything yet, but this looks like the place to be for a KLX250S owner. I see that's I'm not the only one in my area with one either ... and this is a small town too.

I took my bike today in an effort to rack up some break in miles. This being my only day off since I bought the bike and I have a full week ahead of me. I figured I would hit a lazy state hwy and just cruise. That lated about 10 miles when I see a gravel road. Take a u-turn and check out the gravel road. I wasn't on it long when I see some trails. There's a sign that reads "road closed" and a gate across the dirt road, but there's very worn trails that go around it - so I figured 'what the heck'.

The trails were awesome. Big enough for a pick up truck, but changes in elevation, mud holes (definitely need better off road tires on the bike for that), hills, nice view. I rode for about 8 miles - figured I had gone far enough into them and turned around. As I came to the trail head, I see a truck parked on the gravel road with a 4 wheeler in it, and a guy walking along the road. I figured it was someone else coming out to the enjoy this great trail on such a nice day. As I get closer, I see "RANGER" on the green truck and the guy is wearing a badge. "AH CRAP!"

I come up to the gravel road and the Officer runs up to me, turns my bike off, and takes my key. I just shake my head. I end up with a ticket for 'illegal use of a ATV on a Wildlife Management Site". Oh well .. at least I got some good ride time in.

Here's a pic as I got back home, before I washed up. Things I noticed on my ride. Better tires are needed for sloppy offroad. I went thru some pretty deep/sloppy stuff. Deep enough that it filled my boots. I'm sure on dry/packed ground, these will work all day long. We had some serious rain past couple of days so the ground is still pretty wet. DEFINITELY need to do the spocket change. It has NO low end rpm grunt. Of course, I'm still breaking it in and didn't want to over rev it. Look it! 62 miles!! whoohooo. I love this bike!

Name:  04092006.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  59.5 KB

--
Bonafide
Dallas, Ga
KLX250S
KX100
Yamaha Kodiak 400

Old 04-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: new here, new owner, first ride

Know what you call a cop that flunked out of the academy? A Ranger.

Old 04-09-2006, 11:41 PM

Hey sup man,
I just went riding today forever, don't go giving me a bad name. I don't need the rangers to come up to me and be like "Boy, I told you to stay outta these parts, whatcha doing back here" and I'll say "What the hell are you talking about?" Hey man if you wanna ride sometimes I know all the legal trails to ride around here. Those rangers will bust your *** quick, and are liable to take your bike away too. And your bike is not ATV, its as legal as any other car, truck that can ride on the roads, you have a tag to prove it. If this is the same ticket that they would give a car or truck, ok, but they cannot give you a ticket for being illegal "ATV". They can give you one for illegaly using the trails. You have every privilige to use the trails just as every other car or truck. ATVs can't use them, because they are not street legal.

Where do you live man?? Lets hook up sometime and I'll show you all the trails, I am sure you have seen the ones I have found, if not look here.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127468

Where was this gravel rd at?? off of 278 somewhere? Were you in the Paulding WMA. They are freakin rough there man, its not even worth taking a chance there.

Old 04-09-2006, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Darn Rangers! Welcome. HERE is my break-in advice for everyone.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:01 AM

Ya bonafide,

DO NOT!! ride by Kawasakis break in guide unless you wanna die on 278 or Dallas highway by some soccer mom. Ride the bike like you normally would, just dont go rev crazy on it, I mean red line it all the time, and don't ride in one RPM too long. Change the oil frequently and you should be fine.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

A buddy of mine was riding with his friend and his friend got a ticket for riding an ATV
on private property ( he did not own an ATV. He has an dirt bike). so when he went to court he told the judge that he dose not own an ATV but he has an motorcycle and the judge dismissed the ticket. I guess he beat the ticket on an technicality.I would go to court and tell the judge you have an legal motorcycle an not an ATV maybe you will be able too beat it. if you decide to go to court don't forget to bring your insurance and Registration for proof. GOOD LUCK!

Old 04-10-2006, 01:39 AM

Speaking on the subject, I also just got pulled over for the first time today. Luckily it wasn't in any of the illegal places I ride since I don't have much of a choice. In the state of CT theres only one spot that I no of that you can ride legally and its so far away from me. over an hour and a half, so that makes moist of my riding illegal. There is alot of woods but its all controlled bye the audubon society in a wealthy area so they have all the pull. Perfectly fine for all them to enjoy there horses but god forbid a motorcycle, anyway.Today when I got pulled over the cop said for speeding wich i was and admitted. Then he started telling me how nobby tires are illegal for street use etc until I proved that they were dot approved and legal. lol obviously he didn't evan no the laws. Luckily he just let me go. I was thinkin maybe he wanted to just check out the bike but who knows. the Cop said stick to the woods and It was a good reminder to just take it easy though on the road.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:21 AM

Bill G,

The gravel road is called Brushy Mtn Road. Runs between Hwy 278 and Braswell Mt Rd - near the Polk Co line. The DNR guy gave me a map that shows all the places I CAN'T ride. I'm fairly new to this area so I don't know of many trails. I heard there's a new one in Cedartown. I've also heard about the powerlines off of Hwy 61 near Bartow Co. Never been. Usually when I go visiting Family and Friends in Tennessee, I take my KX100 with me. We'll usually hit Coal Creek. That place ROCKS!

I'm off on Sundays. Give a hollar if you're gonna hit some trails.

--
Bonafide
Dallas, Ga
KLX250S
KX100
Yamaha Kodiak 400

Old 04-10-2006, 03:27 AM

Oh .. BTW - as for the ticket I was given, he wrote "illegal use of ATV on Wildlife Managed Area", but the code section he wrote deals with Criminal Trespass.

27-1-33.
(a) It shall be unlawful to enter upon or to hunt, trap, or fish on any public fishing area, fish hatchery, or natural area, or wildlife management area owned or operated by the department except in compliance with all applicable laws and all rules and regulations promulgated by the board including, but not limited to, any law, rule, or regulation relating to seasons or bag limits or requiring a special permit. Further, it shall be unlawful for any person except those specifically excluded by law to hunt on a wildlife management area without a valid wildlife management area license as authorized by Code Section 27-2-23.
(b) Any person who enters upon or who hunts, traps, or fishes on any public hunting or fishing area, fish hatchery, or natural area, or any game management area owned or operated, or owned and operated, by the department in violation of this Code section commits the offense of criminal trespass.

Old 04-10-2006, 04:17 AM

Ya Brushy mountain road is where I was gonna go check out, my friend said there were alot of good trails out there. Is brushy mountain road itself illegal to ride on, or is it a trail that was off to the side? I go on gravel roads and whatnot only if they are not blocked by gates or have signs that say (keep out, no trespassing, private property) because just in case I am on private property, I am able to show whoever thinks other wise and show them the trail head where I entered and show them there were no signs stating specifically that I need to be kept out. Definatley acknowledge all those signs and you'll be just fine. Ya man if next monday is nice I will give you a call and I will go show you some legal dirt roads to ride, very nice!! I heard alot of good things about cedar town also, but it costs $25.00[sm=lame.gif] every time you go there, and that starts to eat away at some money!

I live down here near the intersection of 92 and dallas highway, I'll probably be seeing you next weekend if you wanna ride. Oh ya bring that map by to show me what roads we can ride on in the WMA. How much was that ticket if you don't mind my asking?

Quick Reply: new here, new owner, first ride