new here, new owner, first ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 04:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: new here, new owner, first ride

ORIGINAL: Bonafide

Things I noticed on my ride. Better tires are needed for sloppy offroad. I went thru some pretty deep/sloppy stuff. Deep enough that it filled my boots. I'm sure on dry/packed ground, these will work all day long. We had some serious rain past couple of days so the ground is still pretty wet.
--
Bonafide
Dallas, Ga
KLX250S
KX100
Yamaha Kodiak 400
Fit a rim lock and lower your tyre pressure to 12 - 15 psi before you dismiss the tyres. I found them quite good in mud with low air pressure, only problem was ripped the valve so I now have a rim lock fitted.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:25 AM

Brushy Mtn Rd is legal to ride on. All the trails that lead off of it obviously are not - including the one I went on. Only sign up was the one on the gate that said, "road closed", but there was obvious trails leading around the gate - very worn trails/paths. Nothing that said "no tresspassing" - nothing that identified it as a WMA either. Those are the two things I have an issue with. Oh - and the mounds of dirt that are piled on the roadside, according to this DNR guy, it's illegal to ride across them as well.

The map I got shows the trails that are NOT legal to ride - they all set up for WMA (seasoned hunting). Sorry if there was a confusion. IOW, it only serves as a warning device for the future - where NOT to go.

Ever been to Houston Valley in LaFayette? It's up near Ringgold. Heard that's a nice place too.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Bonafide

Brushy Mtn Rd is legal to ride on. All the trails that lead off of it obviously are not - including the one I went on. Only sign up was the one on the gate that said, "road closed", but there was obvious trails leading around the gate - very worn trails/paths. Nothing that said "no tresspassing" - nothing that identified it as a WMA either. Those are the two things I have an issue with. Oh - and the mounds of dirt that are piled on the roadside, according to this DNR guy, it's illegal to ride across them as well.

The map I got shows the trails that are NOT legal to ride - they all set up for WMA (seasoned hunting). Sorry if there was a confusion. IOW, it only serves as a warning device for the future - where NOT to go.

Ever been to Houston Valley in LaFayette? It's up near Ringgold. Heard that's a nice place too.
Exactly, bring the map that shows the trails that are NOT legal to ride on, and we know which ones ARE legal to ride on. That way we can be double sure. Man out there in that area paulding is beautiful, open farm land, alot of lakes, its almost like being in north georgia, minus the bigger mountains. So next weekend if a tornadoe doesn't rip through here lets go out for a ride. I'll p.m. you to make a meeting place. I want to do alot of exploring if your up for it to find more places to ride.

And those mounds of dirt your talking about, are those the berms your talking about, looks like little ramps to launch your bike off of??

Old 04-10-2006, 06:33 AM

ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

Fit a rim lock and lower your tyre pressure to 12 - 15 psi before you dismiss the tyres. I found them quite good in mud with low air pressure, only problem was ripped the valve so I now have a rim lock fitted.
Maybe - maybe not, but I'm willing to bet you've never ridden in Georgia red clay before. Besides, it's a wee bit inconvenient to ride on asphault, lower air pressure for sloppy wet clay - only to be left with riding BACK home or wherever on the asphault with low air pressure.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:35 AM

Ya hes right, it doesn't matter what the tire pressure is in the clay, it like riding on ice no matter what the pressure is, but I love it.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:39 AM

ORIGINAL: incabiker

Exactly, bring the map that shows the trails that are NOT legal to ride on, and we know which ones ARE legal to ride on. That way we can be double sure. Man out there in that area paulding is beautiful, open farm land, alot of lakes, its almost like being in north georgia, minus the bigger mountains. So next weekend if a tornadoe doesn't rip through here lets go out for a ride. I'll p.m. you to make a meeting place. I want to do alot of exploring if your up for it to find more places to ride.

And those mounds of dirt your talking about, are those the berms your talking about, looks like little ramps to launch your bike off of??
Yeah - I should have all weekend including Monday off. I've been scheduled to be out of town all week for training starting first thing in the morning. I have some friends in Bartow and Floyd Co too, I'll ask around and see what they have for trails. If it's too far of a ride, we can always load them up. I have a truck, tie downs, and ramps.

The BERMS is what I was referring to. I just shook my head when he told me that. To think legislators had to sit down to decide "should we make it illegal to ride across this dirt?" makes my eyes cross.

Old 04-10-2006, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member

No but I have ridden on wet Coffs Harbour red clay and until I lowered my pressure it was slippery as ice. I couldn't keep the bike upright and it wouldn't climb hills cause of no traction. We lowered the pressure and the difference was chalk and cheese. Made it up the hill with ease, only problem was the pressure was too low and ripped the valve hence the newly fitted rim lock.

Old 04-16-2006, 08:34 AM

I went back out today to take pictures of the WMA area where I was ticketed last week. Figured I'd post them up and see what ya'll think. I looked up the charge I was given and it's a Criminal Tresspass (in short), but more written towards people using WMA land to hunt, fish, or trap without a seasonal permit. I'll be getting a Lawyer to fight this as I will not stand by and let a criminal charge be added to my record for something of this nature.

Few things to notice. 1. There's NO signs that state "no trespassing" or "No ATV usage". 2. The small yellow sign that reads "Wildlife Management Area" is positioned way off to the side of this trail head. It's also nowhere near the entrance. It's some 40+ feet off the roadway. 3. The ATV trails are WELL WORN and might lend one to believe this is an acceptable ATV area.

From the road. Yellow WMA sign is circled in red. Just curious, but would you say that's a well worn trail head?

Close up of the WMA sign. It measures 6" tall.

Pic of the trail head - standing on the berm. The berm is located something like 75ft ft from the WMA sign, but I was told it's illegal to cross this berm and was issued a written warning for it.

Close up of the trail head. Notice the well worn ATV trails that lead around the automobile gate.

Old 04-16-2006, 06:16 PM

There are a lot of "Rangers" here in Florida that will not let you ride a licensed dualsport motorcycle in areas where Jeeps, 4 Wheel Drives and other licensed vehicles are permitted. It is simply a case of them not knowing the law. Once you bring it to their attention that there is a legal license tag on the back of your motorcycle that gives you the same rights to be on those same roads as those other licensed vehicles, they normally make a call and find out that they are incorrect in their evaluation. Of course, there are some that will not permit you to ride. I hate to do it, but I normally tell them to go ahead and write the ticket. That usually unsettles the hardheads enough to get them to make a phone call to find out they are wrong.

When you ride on the numbered roads in the Ocala National Forest, be prepared to be 'checked-out' on multiple occassions. Most of the "Rangers" will drive up behind you to verify that your tag is there and is current. Do not be in excess of the posted speed limit, that only worsens the situation.

I hate to say it, but there are those that have ridden in areas that are not permitted to be ridden in that cause us these problems.

Please respect the law, and to do that you need to know the law and show those that enforce the law respect and give them the opportunity to do the right thing.

Old 04-16-2006, 07:10 PM

Hey Bonafide, I shoulda emailed you yesterday, I was all up and down Brushy Mountain road. I went riding about 6 hours yesterday, it was a blast. I found so many damn trails its hard to believe, and they weren't illegal to ride on. Ya that gate that was in the picture above, do not cross that lol. Anyways it wasn't off of Brush mountain road that I found the trails. Ride with me sometime and I'll show you the trails I am talking about, I almost couldn't believe that I had found them, it was amazing. I'll post some pics of it as soon as I can. Where about in Dallas do you live? One thing that I do wanna warn you about, if you have ever seen the movie deliverance, well then, thats all I have to say, watch out for some of the people out there.

Quick Reply: new here, new owner, first ride