Moto Pro Valve in09250SFstall

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mcnutts
I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. If you push the front down the SPRINGS will push the fork back up and it stops where it stops. If you are sitting on the bike and it comes back to far, maybe you need softer springs. The rebound dampening determines the velocity at which the fork returns.

One of the issues with the oil weight that I have been commenting about in the previous posts is the rebound rate. (the speed the fork returns) Too thin oil the rebound will be too fast, too thick oil and the rebound will be to slow.
First I totally agree oil weight is the only way to control rebound in the forks.,

I Get your point about the springs hold the bike up and ultimately decide where the bike sits.

Picture this. No rider on bike. Bounce forks gently find where it lands. Sag with no rider. Now with the brake on push the fork down hard and let it return. With no damping it will top out before it stops moving. The more damping the sooner it will stop moving.

I always have a zip tie on the fork. On our bikes the brake hose is a good thing to watch while you are going. See how much the forks are really moving and when.

The manual also says the SF is set up not to dive as much when braking and for the bike not to rock as much when shifting or accelerating.

David

Old 05-21-2011, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I have some good news for those of you interested in another Suspension Choice. RICOR (google them) has asked me if they can use my bike as a test-mule for fitting their Intertia valving in the front and rear.

For those of you unfamiliar with this valving, it was invented by the engineer that first put multilink rear suspension in the rear, used by Suzuki back in the 70's to transform off-road suspension performance. The Intertia valve senses whether the input is coming from the wheel or from the chassis. IF it is coming from the wheel (meaning, you just ran over something big), it "blows off" or "gets out the way of the oil that's pressing on it", which allows the wheel to move up as quickly as it's intertia, spring-rate, and the stiction in the forks will allow it to move. The result is the bike "steps over" the bump, without the usual lurching to one side or the other if you didn't hit the bump square. OTOH, if the chassis is trying to compress the unit, the Inertia valve stays shut, forcing the oil to go through the orifices, which slows the action significantly....IOW, you get VERY soft action on the bumps, while you get VERY stiff resistance to the chassis dropping. It's like a 57 Cadillac soft ride for comfort, AND an Formula 1 stiff chassis for better handling, all in the same package.

I've tested three different bikes, KLR650, XR650L, and SV650, with this technology. I got to do extensive testing on KLR650's where I monitored lap times on prescribed off-road courses, while also measuring my heart-rate. SIGNIFICANTLY lower lap-times with lower heart-rates occured every time, on any off-road course I could try. Acceleration times or braking distances on rough surfaces is easy to measure, and were always improved. I actually sold a DR350 because I could climb rougher hills on the KLR650...since I was getting that much better traction and better able to follow the line (not getting knocked off-line so much by off-center hits) on the KLR. Local SV650racer put this technology in the front only, and went from being an also-ran to putting over 1.5 seconds PER LAP on the next-fastest bike.

I have ProAction upgrades to both front and rear of my KLX. I need to go do some timing and heart-rate monitoring on several courses, so that I can compare these numbers to the RICOR Intertia valve technology. I don't like doing it this way as well as taking two bikes side by side and swapping back and forth, but, it's what I'll have to do in order to get any comparative numbers.

I will say that my KLR650 with RICOR suspension would outrun my XR650L in a figure 8 dirt course I set up, where I was able to shift between 2nd and 3rd on both bikes, with a triple bump in the middle. Ricor put a shock on the XR650L, and THEN it had enough traction to beat the KLR, but, the front of the XR was pushing way too much. RICOR made a cartridge for the front, but, I never got to test it, as I sold that bike to someone that really wanted one badly.

I look forward to seeing what they can do for the KLX.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Put on about 500km of dirt riding since installing the springs and valves last week.
The handling is much better. The front seems to stick to the ground better.
The zip tie tells me that every ride I am getting about 7.5 of the 10" of travel. My compression is only at about 2 clicks from open.
Other, I have to much oil in the legs, reducing the travel or maybe I'll reduce my high speed compression dampening in the valves.