More on the top end?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
One of the limiting factors in WOT on the KLX is the carb. The OEM carb just doesn't limit throttle response. It limits top end also. While my '06 model only has the OEM KLX300 kit...292cc actually...the 36mm pumper carb really pumped up the throttle response. But it did something else. It awakened the top end also. As long as jetting, exhaust, and intake are capable of maximum performance, the 2 extra mm of carb opening coupled with the no obstruction design of the Mikuni's carb throat "can" yield better performance throughout the rpm range and throttle position. I have a full Muzzy exhaust and an airbox with lid mods and backfire screen removed. Top end and the response all the way to wide open throttle improved dramatically. When you look down the throat of the OEM carb and a modern, flat slide, pumper carb, you see why performance can be improved at all levels. The throttle plate and shaft on the OEM carb is always there, and of course the slide itself moves independently of what the throttle linkage is doing. This is not to say that the OEM carb is a total piece of junk. However, it doesn't flow with the efficiency of the pumper carb. The 36 pumper not only yields a larger throttle bore, it also has a totally smooth, open avenue from the airbox to the engine. When jetted properly, the 36mm pumper, or even the 34mm pumper, is a superior fuel delivery device for the KLX. .
Glad it's working out for you. I'd attribute most of your top end gain to the carb bore size increase. I went from 26mm to 30mm on my XR200 and it really woke up the top end

Old 05-30-2013, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by duncanblake
Thanks TNC. Ordered the TM36-68 from Niche Cycle Supply on Ebay this morning for $269.99 w/free shipping. I'm 62 years old and the last time I felt like this I was probably 8 yrs. old and it was Xmas eve. I just can't believe I can still get this excited. I really am a bike nut. Thank God.
I'm 63yo

Dies that carb need any modifications to fit on the KLX? You'd better order extra jetting unless they say it's set up for the KLX already

Old 05-30-2013, 04:17 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Richard Avatar
I'm 63yo

Dies that carb need any modifications to fit on the KLX? You'd better order extra jetting unless they say it's set up for the KLX already
Yes, on the jetting parts. It's covered fairly extensively on the post I linked in my other post. I ended up with the following. Main jet...127.5 Pilot jet...17.5 Air idle jet...0.9 Needle jet...P4 Needle...9EBY1-50 Needle clip position...3rd from the top Fuel screw...2 turns out Pumper rod...opens at 1/8th rotation on throttle wheel and closes at 3/4 rotation with the squirt nozzle pointed directly at the needle.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Does the carb fit into the original Kawasaki intake manifold okay? Doesn't seem like it would given that it's 2mm larger exit bore, but I haven't seen any comments about which intake to use OR if using a different intake-if anyone opens up the port where the two meet to match

Old 05-30-2013, 02:06 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Richard Avatar
Does the carb fit into the original Kawasaki intake manifold okay? Doesn't seem like it would given that it's 2mm larger exit bore, but I haven't seen any comments about which intake to use OR if using a different intake-if anyone opens up the port where the two meet to match
I mentioned that in my other post, and it's covered in the link I provided. The 36 fits the OEM manifold and airbox boot, and it's the same length. The carb is basically a bolt-on. I had to grind the throttle wheel because I have an Acerbis tank.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Okay thanks...the TM36 is getting more tempting