Klx250 tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I think there is suppose to be a battery.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
I think there is suppose to be a battery.
Depends on the model. There were dual sport and an off-road model of the KLX250 back then.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 06-28-2016, 05:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Pretty sure mine had a battery but I don't really want to add one back if I can run lights off the stator + capacitor.

Might get a big MTB riding light in case I get stuck out in the dark.

Got my signals on my fender. Not the greatest look but 10 bucks for both, and 20 for the stock light with the parts to make it dual filament.

Attached Thumbnails Klx250 tuning-img_20160627_220901.jpg  
Old 06-28-2016, 05:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Final update for tonight. I think it was topping out because of valve clearance. The PO must have put the shims back in the wrong places because one was too tight and the other loose. They also had the perfect shim sizes to get them both in spec when switched.

Couldn't get it running properly since the air filter was still wet (so I didnt use it)but it started again!

Will tune the air fuel again tomorrow when its early.

On the question list now.

The top end still sounds noisy is this normal for these bikes?

Cutting the screen behind the air filter: Good call or not?

Can I run a headlight, tail, and indicators off of the stator?

Have any of you rewound the stator like on planetKLX? Worth it? How long would you say it took?

Old 06-28-2016, 02:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you oil the filter?
Yes, they are kind of noisy, but I can't tell you if yours sounds normal.
I cut my screen and didn't notice a thing. Others say it helps with throttle response.
Don't know about the others.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes always. No point in running brand new oil through ****!

Doesn't seem to be a downside since the filter is way finer. Probably going to do it.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

On the top end noise, you got your air box lid off, that causes a lot of noise, but maybe your talking about up near the head?
If you get your valves on the lose side of the spec (where you want to be), it seems to make a little more 'motor' noise. I wouldn't worry too much unless it is at 5000rpm-ish or it's a big knocking sound (rod).

Old 08-01-2016, 07:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Have a few more questions for the bike.

Been riding it for a few weeks now having a blast.

Wondering if anyone has jetting advice for me, should I get one of those Dynojet kits?

Also what are some good exhaust options? Is there any other bikes that have the same exhaust fit?

Old 08-01-2016, 11:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jread
That site is pretty informative found it before! Thats why I was pretty sure it wasn't stock and fairly certain it is the Mikuni 33.

My header is 1 1/4" (1.3" at its widest but its not completely round)

Air filter seems good... Looks and feels like memory foam really weird. They seem cheap so may try and grab one when I'm in the USA next.

Going to do an oil change and check valve clearance, and replace coolant. Chain and sprockets are supposedly new, should lube them as the bike sat for a while.

One other thing I know I have to do is fork seals. They slowly leak.
Header is stock. The aftermarket pipes should be somewhere around 1.375 ID. I have one in the garage. When I was selling Kaws around 2002-3 the trick for the 300R was to install a larger freer flowing head pipe/muffler and a pumper slide carb. 250 is pretty much the same deal.

Originally Posted by Brewster
Depends on the model. There were dual sport and an off-road model of the KLX250 back then.

Ride on
Brewster
In the U.S. market, according to Kawasaki's web site for parts, in 1995 the 250 dual sport was the KLR250, totally different engine. The KLX250R was the off road dual sport, no electric start, forerunner to the KLX300R. Probably no battery.

One solution to the rat muffler...

I'd trash the can, beyond help. If you need to go cheap google the KLR John Deere and you will find a thread where a rider got a $30 John Deere replacement muffler had a muffler shop make a mid-pipe and put it on his KLR650. I posted this information I found on the klr.net forum. If a rider wrapped the can with aluminum or stainless it would look totally like it belonged there.

Originally Posted by klx678
You may laugh at the concept, but some KLR riders have the ticket:

John Deere! Check out the details. Not a horribly bad idea. The side cover should have some insulation against the heat. Some riders weld on a turn down too.

I just communicated with a KLX650 owner who did this. Said it sounded good.

I'd try it on the aftermarket head pipe for good flow. It is a chambered muffler I believe, which means it will never need repacked and should sound as good day one as it will years after and probably would be considered spark arresting too, I don't know for sure.
Food for thought. If the OP could get an adapter his FMF probably has an adequate mid-pipe to make the cheap mod.

Last edited by klx678; 08-01-2016 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:58 AM
1st Gear Member

So put a bunch more time on the bike.

Planning to 351 overbore it in the new year.

Anyone have experience with it? I haven't really herd anything bad about it!

What does it require for jetting? Apparently its the same but I don't understand how.

Still looking into exhausts. Anyone got a used one?