Fine Tuning Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Default Fine Tuning Suspension

After riding my newest addition to the garage "96 ZX6R" pretty hard for the past couple of weeks I have noticed the suspension needs some tuning done to it. When I first got the bike it was very harsh on the bumps, after a little adjustment it started handling the bumps much better. The problem I have now is around 60-80 mph if I hit rough patch of road it seems to handle like a cadillac (No insults intended), the rear end will take the bump and continue to rebound, it's not a harsh rebound, but it seems to float and continue to oscillate up and down. It makes the bike feel very unstable, and if you start to go into a turn it makes it feel like you will low side if your not careful. I have never had to get into the suspension on any of my bikes in great detail so let me know what you think.

Old 08-22-2005, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Fine Tuning Suspension

ORIGINAL: lstoker

After riding my newest addition to the garage "96 ZX6R" pretty hard for the past couple of weeks I have noticed the suspension needs some tuning done to it. When I first got the bike it was very harsh on the bumps, after a little adjustment it started handling the bumps much better. The problem I have now is around 60-80 mph if I hit rough patch of road it seems to handle like a cadillac (No insults intended), the rear end will take the bump and continue to rebound, it's not a harsh rebound, but it seems to float and continue to oscillate up and down. It makes the bike feel very unstable, and if you start to go into a turn it makes it feel like you will low side if your not careful. I have never had to get into the suspension on any of my bikes in great detail so let me know what you think.
Sounds like maybe you do not have enough compression and when your hitting a bump or entering the turn it is bottoming out. After that it is rebounding to fast due to hitting the limit on the compression.
I have posted this here before and I used it my self. Set the sag on your bike it will give you the max out of your suspension for your weight. Its the best starting place for your suspension and then you can make small adjustments from there.
http://www.gostar-racing.com/club/mo...ion_set-up.htm

Old 08-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Default RE: Fine Tuning Suspension

nice choice on bikes. thats the bike i started on. she treated me pretty good