KLX to EXC

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by taxonomy
It's really hard for me to compare are $10,000 motorcycle with a $2,500 motorcycle. I am all in on my '07 with 351, TM36-68 and suspension work at well under $3,000.

Would I like a new KTM? Sure. I'd even be willing to pay around $4,500 for one.

Realistically, I go for some after work rides a few times a month and get out for good trail rides with friends a dozen times a year. Even that puts a strain on someone working 40 hours a week and maintaining a house and the usual "grown up" responsibilities.

Can I justify $3,000 in depreciation in one year for something I am going to use a total of, maybe, 200 hours? No, I really cannot.

The whole idea of the $10,000 dirt bike is baffling to me.

I also have to wonder just what I am trying to accomplish. I am not going to race, so I don't need that. My friends, off the top of my head, ride KLX250s, WR250R, XR400R and a lot of bikes like that. I do ride with a couple of guys that ride EXCs but they're a lot faster "A" types. We go out, ride in a group and everyone goes at their own pace. So, I may take less challenging lines that if I were on a KTM, or I might arrive at meeting points a bit later, but so what?

For many years now I have been riding the same beater 2001 SV650 on the street. It' s very often the 'worst bike at the rally'. My friends, racers, ex racers and the like, ride pretty quick but I have never felt like the SV slowed me down and if it did who cares?

I am not sure what "better" means in this context. Because, to me, "better" means keeping $7,000.
I'm generally in partial agreement with you. However, I don't get your $10,000 motorcycle vs $2,500 motorcycle. It sounds like you're comparing a brand-new KTM with a used KLX - more than apples to oranges - more like grapes to watermelons. Here, a new Husqvarna FE350S (street legal dual sport) goes for (new) about $11,300. A new 2014 (2015's weren't released in Canada), lists for $5299. Yes, there's a huge difference in price. You could buy 2 KLX's or one Husky. However, if you needed to haul a 20,000Lb trailer, and could spend $50,000 on a truck rated to tow that amount, or buy two $25,000 lighter trucks instead, you'd still need the heavy duty ($50,000) truck because it's unlikely that either of the two $25,000 trucks will be able to haul the trailer (at least without damage.)

What if you want/need the extra horsepower, lower weight, better suspension? You can take a KLX and add a 351 kit. My belief is that you've shortened the life of the motor by doing that - probably not dramatically, but a 351 is less likely to last as long as the stock 250 setup. You now will likely need to upgrade the carb, intake, exhaust to get the most out of the 351. I'll bet you're still not making as much power as a euro 250 enduro (my 2010 Husqvarna is supposed to put out 34HP stock, but I have a tuner, uncorked intake, exhaust etc., so probably closer to 38HP at the crank - by the way the uncorking - all except the JD Fuel injection tuner are included with the bike when you buy it - it's called the race kit). Now, the suspension - that's an easier one - you could likely tune the KLX suspension to match or possibly better (other than travel) the Husky. Weight - good luck dropping 40-50Lbs off the KLX to match the Husky - unless you had a custom frame done and other extensive work.

So, yes you can buy a KLX and modify it to get close to a typical euro enduro, but you'll start getting close to the price and still not be able to fully tackle the weight issue.

Does everybody need a KTM/Husky/Beta etc? No. Most people who buy a KLX will be perfectly happy with it. I was happy with mine for almost 2 years, but the riding I do, I kept wanting a lighter bike. I didn't care much about more power, but now that I have it, I find that once you get used to it and have good throttle and clutch control, that riding in the tougher stuff is easier with the extra power - the extra power has got me through things more easily with the Husky than on the KLX. I still have the KLX, but will likely end up selling it, since I don't really need 2 bikes. I will do more maintenance on the Husky, but it's a trade-off I'm willing to take at this point.

I do agree that spending $10,000+ on a dirt bike is baffling - I bought my 2010 Husky used for the same amount I spent on my used 2011 KLX - and I'll likely be able to sell the KLX for what I paid for it - so it was kind of a free upgrade for me.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Easy guys, I'm not comparing, just sayin what I hope to get back into someday. Don't get me wrong, I love my KLX. After all, this is kind of a KTM related thread. I could never buy a new bike again anyway. Would have to be an older one with my thin wallet. Like I said, Dream bikes. Understand, that these are the type of bikes I had for 30 plus years. Now I'm on a dual sport due to extreme wear and tear on my old body. Yeah, 53 and falling apart fast, but still think like I'm 20. In short bursts, still ride like I'm 20....LOL Getting old just plain sucks. I'm not liking it at all. But I guess it still beats the alternative.

Last edited by Werloc; 12-30-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

You can't compare a 4k bike to a 10k bike. The klx is a capable bike for what it is. I enjoy mine. The only thing I notice is that I ride better and more confident off road on my friends true dirt bikes since the suspension is worlds better since you don't have the dual sport compromise going on.

I honestly wish there was a middle ground. I'd like to have something with better suspension and more power without big bore kits and aftermarket parts(I hate changing stuff at this stage in my life I usually leave everything stock) but without the 10k price tag.

6 to 7k new would be a nice price range. Maybe it's out there and I don't know about it.

But with my 3rd child on the way I am not going to be buying anything.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgmr250
It sounds like you're comparing a brand-new KTM with a used KLX
I am comparing a new KTM with a used KLX. I think the OP bought a new KTM. I bought a used KLX.

Here's the thing, I would like to retire some day. I'd like to pay off the house, I would like to travel some. I'd like to ride motorcycles too. Me, personally, I can't have everything.

So, there are compromises. Maybe there is some way I could have spent a little under $3,000 better. Maybe a WR250R. Maybe a used KTM, I am not really sure.

Recently I took about the price difference between my KLX and a new Euro enduro and sent it to the bank to pay down the mortgage. I cannot do both those things, but those are the choices you make.

A new KTM would depreciate the entire value of my KLX in its first year of ownership. Which is to say "renting" a new KTM for one year is the same as owning a KLX forever. I just cannot justify that.

Also, realistically, I ride dirt bikes something less than 200 hours per year. So, that's 50 8 hour days. After writing that it's probably more like 100 hours per year, or 25 8 hour days all tolled. This means, in depreciation alone it something like $30/hour just in depreciation for the privilege of riding a new Euro Enduro. Think about it. Riding 200 hours per year is something like 8 solid work weeks of riding.

You'd also have to roll in the opportunity cost of not investing that money. Had you invested that $3000 at a modest 4% interest in 10 years it would be $4500, in 20 years it would be $6500.

Nope, the $10,000 or even the $6000 dirtbike is something I do not get.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Or do what I did (and I think Larryboy too) and get a used 200XC-W. I got mine 2 yrs ago for $2500 in great mechanical shape, even if a little beat up looking from a harescramble or two. Twice the power and a whole lot less weight. It is like a mtn bike compared to the KLX. If you can plate it even better.
Wheelies, power slides, and it's really a great trail bike.
Everyone raves about the 300 for 4T tractable power, but the 200 can run pretty well of idle too. Which, BTW, is the only time it remotely resembles the KLX. After that it's like a swarm of angry hornets flying close to the ground.
Probably not so great in never ending deep sand, but it could be done...
I ride mine mostly on my mtn bike trails on my property, it's also great fun in the snow. I'd love to race it on the ice...I can't believe I just said that.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
Or do what I did (and I think Larryboy too) and get a used 200XC-W. I got mine 2 yrs ago for $2500 in great mechanical shape, even if a little beat up looking from a harescramble or two.
If I had it to do over again I would have probably found a used, street legal KTM. They're not that easy to come by, though.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member

My used KLX was $2k. I paid $5k for my CR150 Husky. I don't ride either as a street bike, but I race the Husky, love the bike and will probably keep it for many years. The KLX is my reliable woods practice bike. I can ride it to the track (about 10 mins down the road) which does two things. It saves me a pile of (loading and unloading) time, and wear and tear on the Husky. It's also fun, reliable as a hammer, and low maintenance.
For me, it's a means of saving money, because it's already understood that I will be racing.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:24 PM
1st Gear Member

The price points/comparisons get fuzzy when you start looking at used bike prices - they're subject to the area a member lives in..

What about a new KLX with max performance vs a new KTM dual sport..?
A new KLX with BB, carb, exhaust system, and cams....? 5400+2000=7400
A new KTM EXC - 9,995 to 10,500
So, for an extra 2.6k (which would be in the loan) you get the KTM - The KLX loan would be less but the $2k upgrades come outta yer pocket, something that can be all but impossible for a wife to swallow.. Also add in the fact that with the KTM purchase, you're DONE. No need for further "updates/upgrades" - just make your payments and ride year after year.. Also, KTM dual sports command top resale prices in my area - but the KLX certainly beats em on price/value retention..

In all honesty, those of us that own such "semi exotics" know the "high maintenance/short engine life" propaganda is just that - total bull!
P.S. I like my KLX250S more than my Husabergs...

Last edited by Klxster; 12-30-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgmr250

What if you want/need the extra horsepower, lower weight, better suspension? You can take a KLX and add a 351 kit. My belief is that you've shortened the life of the motor by doing that - probably not dramatically, but a 351 is less likely to last as long as the stock 250 setup. You now will likely need to upgrade the carb, intake, exhaust to get the most out of the 351. I'll bet you're still not making as much power as a euro 250 enduro (my 2010 Husqvarna is supposed to put out 34HP stock, but I have a tuner, uncorked intake, exhaust etc., so probably closer to 38HP at the crank - by the way the uncorking - all except the JD Fuel injection tuner are included with the bike when you buy it - it's called the race kit). Now, the suspension - that's an easier one - you could likely tune the KLX suspension to match or possibly better (other than travel) the Husky. Weight - good luck dropping 40-50Lbs off the KLX to match the Husky - unless you had a custom frame done and other extensive work.

So, yes you can buy a KLX and modify it to get close to a typical euro enduro, but you'll start getting close to the price and still not be able to fully tackle the weight issue.

There is a rider, rickypanecatyl, in the ADVrider site that has put around 100,000 km or so on a KLX351 running around, the bike itself has around 200,000 km - those are conservative guesses since I forget the exact number. So the 351 really doesn't affect much. After all, it is just a bore change with a slight increase in compression and the basic engine was designed to be a 300.

As for weight, that's mostly true, but one point - the 250 being relatively short in engine height is very light feeling since the majority of the weight is low compared to bigger engined bikes. Then there is the fact that the weight differential isn't that great for the average dual sport rider. Different if racing, but that isn't the case for a large majority of the riders. It's there, but not a huge issue by any extent. The 450 is roughly 260 with fluids, the KLX around 295 with fluids. The 450 has all the top end weight due to the bigger engine, high in the frame versus the KLX. Just sayin' for an off roader the KLX is fine.

As for spending $10,000 on an off roader, if I had the money to use without affecting my way of life, I'd do it. Same with a lot of other things I'd do if the money was no object... but it is an object for me and many others.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I am comparing a new KTM with a used KLX. I think the OP bought a new KTM. I bought a used KLX.

Here's the thing, I would like to retire some day. I'd like to pay off the house, I would like to travel some. I'd like to ride motorcycles too. Me, personally, I can't have everything.

So, there are compromises. Maybe there is some way I could have spent a little under $3,000 better. Maybe a WR250R. Maybe a used KTM, I am not really sure.

Recently I took about the price difference between my KLX and a new Euro enduro and sent it to the bank to pay down the mortgage. I cannot do both those things, but those are the choices you make.

A new KTM would depreciate the entire value of my KLX in its first year of ownership. Which is to say "renting" a new KTM for one year is the same as owning a KLX forever. I just cannot justify that.

Also, realistically, I ride dirt bikes something less than 200 hours per year. So, that's 50 8 hour days. After writing that it's probably more like 100 hours per year, or 25 8 hour days all tolled. This means, in depreciation alone it something like $30/hour just in depreciation for the privilege of riding a new Euro Enduro. Think about it. Riding 200 hours per year is something like 8 solid work weeks of riding.

You'd also have to roll in the opportunity cost of not investing that money. Had you invested that $3000 at a modest 4% interest in 10 years it would be $4500, in 20 years it would be $6500.

You're taking the smart road - I'll certainly agree with that plan of action.

I couldn't see myself forking out the $ for a new Husky/KTM dual sport, and spending over $10,000. I got my Husky for $4000 - the same I paid for my KLX250 2 years ago. The KLX will likely sell for close to $4000 (keep in mind these are Canadian $'s), so I pretty much will have upgraded for very little $. I do have to say that the Husky is a more capable bike. If I were buying new ($5299 for the KLX, $11,000 for the Husky), well, first I wouldn't buy either, I'd buy a used Husky, as I did, but if I were in the situation to buy new, and I had no other choice, it would be the KLX.

Quick Reply: KLX to EXC