KLX to EXC

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default KLX to EXC

Bought a 530 EXC and as much as I thought I was going to keep the little KLX it hasn't been touched since the orange bike. Yep like they say the KTM is amazing the handling, light weight, ride and obviously power is top notch.
All of a sudden the KLX feels so ancient and so heavy its coffin has been nailed and will be up for sale.

This has been a great forum with lots of useful information and spirited debate. My 07 has been absolutely flawless from day one with no problems and reliable as anvil but such as life itself, change is inevitable.
Have fun with your KLXs they are still very good bikes with a huge fun factor for the money.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:22 AM

A half-dozen years ago or so, I moved from and XR250 to a 525 EXC and never looked back. My 525 has since been converted to an all out motard, and I was jonesing for another inexpesive, low maintenance dual sport. I wanted the old XR back, but with e-start and a plate, and I settled on a new to me 07 KLX. I had it in the woods for the first time the other day, and its exactly what I was looking for.

However, my buddy has a brand new '13 450 XCF. I have to keep refusing his offers for a test ride just so I can keep enjoying the KLX.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I did a KLX to EXC switch too.. But mine is a 200

I love the KLX and all that it has done for me, but like you, I wanted to try something different.. I love my KTM. I love how light and fast it is.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:04 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Hmmm...any comparison between a KLX and a 530EXC is kind of like...well...a 1/2 ton GMC pickup and a Bugatti Veyron. They may both be motor vehicles, but they have very different applications in which they excel...and don't excel. This is why many people have more than 1 motorcycle.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Beardoge
... My 07 has been absolutely flawless from day one with no problems and reliable as anvil ...
Let us know in a couple years how true this is of your new orange toy. In fact, you may want to hang onto the KLX until you find out...

Old 08-29-2013, 03:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
This is why many people have more than 1 motorcycle.
We have a winner.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
Let us know in a couple years how true this is of your new orange toy. In fact, you may want to hang onto the KLX until you find out...
Well I figured I would check in, I've had the 2009 EXC for 2 years of hard riding and 8000 miles mostly in the deep sand of northern Michigan and the thing has been ultra reliable as well as the KLX was.
I've had absolutely no problems in the least with the bike it's been nothing but fun and giggles the whole time, its amazingly fast and agile for a bigger bike, geared down to 14, 50 sprockets it sits right at 100 MPH as a top speed pretty much at its limiter.
The headlight sucks compared to a Japanese dual sport which I do miss at times, but I rarely ride at night anymore anyways, the power is intoxicating almost impossible not to wheelie at every possible opportunity, and the thing will absolutely shred any rear tire in no time if your heavy on the throttle.

Not bragging just checking in with the green team with some thoughts.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Very cool and Thanks for the update. I got a exc also. Well actually a husqvarna built by ktm. I know what you mean about the klx feeling heavy. When I get off the husky and go to the klx it feels like a tank just pushing it outside. I love it though and she will stay. I believe the husky it almost 40lbs lighter.

How many hours on her? Meter?

Old 12-27-2015, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Beardoge
Well I figured I would check in, I've had the 2009 EXC for 2 years of hard riding and 8000 miles mostly in the deep sand of northern Michigan and the thing has been ultra reliable as well as the KLX was.
I've had absolutely no problems in the least with the bike it's been nothing but fun and giggles the whole time, its amazingly fast and agile for a bigger bike, geared down to 14, 50 sprockets it sits right at 100 MPH as a top speed pretty much at its limiter.
The headlight sucks compared to a Japanese dual sport which I do miss at times, but I rarely ride at night anymore anyways, the power is intoxicating almost impossible not to wheelie at every possible opportunity, and the thing will absolutely shred any rear tire in no time if your heavy on the throttle.

Not bragging just checking in with the green team with some thoughts.
First, understand I like all different bikes, so this is not an anti-KTM posting. It is more about the markets for the companies and some speculation.

First off, the KTM maintenance thing is really overplayed, they may have a shade more, but not much. Reminds me of Harleys since 1983. Being in sales and following them, we realized the new Evos were very well engineered and built, aka not AMF! We never played the "maintenance and parts fall off" game since we knew it was false. We sold quality for price. I also know we hear all about the handling, but in the forums there are the threads on KTM set up in suspension and comment about requisite KTM690 mods, so clearly there are things that need done as there always are in every bike. So All of them usually need a bit of playing to work best, but that's expected in off roaders and sport bikes.

A lot of the Euro riders look down their nose at the Japanese dual sports as if there is some failing in the companies. I think that in the 90s KTM made a good choice when they went at the upscale market rather than try to butt heads in the lower priced dual sports and bikes, which the Japanese had pretty well locked up. It would have been a waste of money to try to cut into that market. I think the key thing that most Euro bike owners, even those that had Japanese bikes, seem to disregard is the fact that the Japanese manufacturers also recognize where their best market is and that it would be a waste of time and cash to try to compete with KTM and Husky in the upscale market... which they easily could. For proof of the lack of any failure on the part of the Japanese manufacturers just look at the results of most all MX/off road shoot outs and the results columns of motocross and other off road racing, where they are right there. The riders in those markets tend to be less brand loyal and more toward getting what works best for the money when buying a new bike.

There are people who plate the WR450 and the CRF450X, even the extinct KLX450 too, for the road in some states and countries where it can be done and I'm thinking they're right in the hunt with the 450EXC.

I have asked in the ADVrider forum if any of those riders would pay comparable price for identical performing Japanese machines and they all say a resounding NO. So there is no market, why would Kawasaki be fool enough to try? Figure Chevy could build a car to equal and compete with the Mercedes, but it would be a waste to try... same deal.

I will say it might just be possible with an improving economy, that if KTM strikes into the lower priced dual sport market with their new 390 in dual sport form, you might see some serious competition in the small bore market and maybe in the upscale market. Speculation on my part, but the Japanese manufacturers have done it before.

That was pretty much what happened after Harley tried to shut Japanese companies off in the custom market with their tariff in 1983. Shortly after that the Japanese makers, that had previously built what is now called the Japanese Custom staying on the fringe of the Harley market, went after the American Custom market. Especially Honda, who went to a pretty much full on copy of what I like to call The American Custom - aka the Harley look, which Harley had copied from the guys who customized them in the 60s and 70s. Honda's Shadow series went from the close coupled Japanese customs of 83-86 to the virtual "metric Harley" of the 87 and on Shadow 600 and 1100. Harley may have a huge market, but it might have been bigger yet had they not taken a shot at the Japanese and let them have that Japanese Custom market. They riled the beast.

If KTM comes in with the low buck 390 dual sport and the market steps up you could see the Japanese go into the upscale market. After all, Honda just put their MotoGP street model on the market, it can be done. It would be really interesting to see a slightly detuned street legal set of dual sports based on the Japanese 250s and 450s. They are a lot closer to KTM than most orange fanatics want to admit. I've watched race results in both the U.S. and Europe, the Japanese are there. It is not a KTM sweep, although they put a lot more support money into the enduro/cross country racing than the Japanse do and that shows.

Just saying it is market driven and each serves theirs. I'm guessing Honda has cashed in big time on their CRF250L in the numbers sold and Kawasaki has done quite well with theirs too. Much as has KTM with their upscale bikes.

Last edited by klx678; 12-27-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, you can't beat the KTM, Beta, or Husky's, but again, you get what you pay for. Each bike has their purpose. If your using both bikes for the same type of riding, then yeah, of course you prefer the orange machine, until the maintainance comes in play. But just out fun riding, your intervals will be very far spread out. You'll be fine, enjoy. Someday, I hope to get another KTM. But I'm going 2-stroke for sure.... I agree with above post. IF I'm able to plate a Jap enduro bike, I'd prefer that.

Last edited by Werloc; 12-27-2015 at 06:38 PM.

Quick Reply: KLX to EXC