KLX to EXC

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd enjoy getting back on something like the KTM 200, they seem to be a trick one for sure. I like the smaller bores. Easier to handle in the tight stuff with a bit less power and weight. One reason for the 250 over my 650 for sure.

I spent enough time in sales to know the differences. You could buy a new KLX250 ride the snot out of it, throw it away - literally - and buy another for the cost of a KTM450. That was one of our comments when riders commented about resale on the Harleys. You could buy two of the 1100 Shadows for the price of a 1200 Sportster and nearly 3 for the price of their 1340 big bikes. So you could lose 25% on the Harley and it was equal to 50% on the Honda. Numbers can be manipulated. Heck, for the price of a Yamaha WR250 you could buy a KLX install the BB 351 big bore with a flat slide and a pipe, plus send the suspension out for custom revalving and still have money left over. It's all about trade offs.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

And sometimes you get the best of both. For a number of years up here, the Huskies were cheaper than jap bikes, and usually discounted on top of that. My cr150 was $2k less than a yz125, and (IMO) a far better bike.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Beardoge
Well I figured I would check in, I've had the 2009 EXC for 2 years of hard riding and 8000 miles mostly in the deep sand of northern Michigan and the thing has been ultra reliable as well as the KLX was.
I've had absolutely no problems in the least with the bike it's been nothing but fun and giggles the whole time, its amazingly fast and agile for a bigger bike, geared down to 14, 50 sprockets it sits right at 100 MPH as a top speed pretty much at its limiter.
The headlight sucks compared to a Japanese dual sport which I do miss at times, but I rarely ride at night anymore anyways, the power is intoxicating almost impossible not to wheelie at every possible opportunity, and the thing will absolutely shred any rear tire in no time if your heavy on the throttle.

Not bragging just checking in with the green team with some thoughts.
Thanks for the update! Turns out that I've been minus my own KLX for 2 years now. It's not that I wasn't happy with it, but I'm just getting too old and injuries take a lot longer to heal. So, I sold the KLX and bought a RZR.

Certainly glad the EXC has worked out well for you!

Old 12-28-2015, 12:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
And sometimes you get the best of both. For a number of years up here, the Huskies were cheaper than jap bikes, and usually discounted on top of that. My cr150 was $2k less than a yz125, and (IMO) a far better bike.
The Huskies can vary depending on who made them. Now being KTMs and doing well in competition the price may rise up. Back before KTM got strong again used KTMs were cheap, but dealers were few and problems were many. Not the same now and I'm betting Huskies will improve too.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Now that they're just re-badged KTM's, they're KTM price. The Italian Huskies are the ones to have. Great power, great handling, premium components, and value priced.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I do want to say while the KTM is premium in every way possible, suspension, brakes, hydraulic clutch, engine. I also have TW that is as cheap in every way possible, but I enjoy riding that thing around too... LOL

So take that as it is...LOL

I really believe you can have fun on almost anything as long as you use them as they were kind of intended. The TW gets driven a lot when I just want to plunk around the neighborhood and don't feel like having to hang on and be prepared I guess to put up with the KTM its hard seat, aggressive edge, and its willingness to go like hell all the time...
Be like taking a sports car on a road trip seems like a good idea until you actually do it and realize a minivan would have been a lot better....

I did very much enjoy the 15,000 miles I put on my 07 KLX it was a lot of fun for what it is. As long as your having fun with your bike it doesn't matter what anybody thinks, just have fun...

Old 12-28-2015, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Beardoge
I really believe you can have fun on almost anything as long as you use them as they were kind of intended. The TW gets driven a lot when I just want to plunk around the neighborhood and don't feel like having to hang on and be prepared I guess to put up with the KTM its hard seat, aggressive edge, and its willingness to go like hell all the time...
Be like taking a sports car on a road trip seems like a good idea until you actually do it and realize a minivan would have been a lot better....
That is sooo true Beardoge.. When I want to putt around the ranch or a X/Country course, I never fire up one of the Husabergs or the KX500 - it's always the KLX250s or the TW200.. Puttin around on a FE650E is like driving nails with a sledge hammer - you can do it, but it's not much fun..

Last edited by Klxster; 12-28-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Ha, yeah, the TW200 is a great little bike for what it is. I sold mine for my KLX cuz it helped rehabilitate my back after 2 failed surgeries. 5 years ago, I moved out of my wheelchair to a walker, then after 6 months, walking without aid. Still can't stand or walk more than 10 minutes at a time. I bought a TW due to it's low seat hight. I needed to see if I could ride again. After a year, that bike helped me and gave me back my life. As I got better (back improving), I really wanted a better enduro bike like a KTM, Beta, Husky, etc, but their seats are just so damn high. My bad back aslo effects my right leg, and only being 5'8" with a 29" inseam, no way I can throw my leg over them. Plus electric start is still (at this point) a must for me. So the KLX with a 3/4" lowering link was the ticket to move up and out of the TW. Couldn't afford to keep it and buy another bike. I'm now at the point of removing the lowering link and back up to stock ride hight on the KLX since I shaved my seat a little. If my improvements continue, I hope to get back into a eruo or jap made enduro bike in another year. I'd really love to get a 2-stroke due to weight, power, and cheap to maintain. But there are only a few with electric start. I always stop at a KTM dealer on the way home from riding, and fell in love with the street legal (in my state) KTM 6 Days models. Still the others are awesome. These are my dream bikes.

2016 XCW

I rode a few of my buddie's Beta's, KTM's, GasGas's, and Husky's all 2 strokes. Love them. My KLX is only the 2nd thumper I've ever owned. 4 strokes in the dirt just don't do anything for me. Maybe cuz after 45 years of riding and racing ring-dinger's in the dirt, I'm to old to change....LOL Plus, 2-strokes are "much" easier on the wallet... I'm lucky that it's easy to plate these bikes in NJ. No inspection on motorcycles, period.

Last edited by Werloc; 12-29-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member

It's really hard for me to compare are $10,000 motorcycle with a $2,500 motorcycle. I am all in on my '07 with 351, TM36-68 and suspension work at well under $3,000.

Would I like a new KTM? Sure. I'd even be willing to pay around $4,500 for one.

Realistically, I go for some after work rides a few times a month and get out for good trail rides with friends a dozen times a year. Even that puts a strain on someone working 40 hours a week and maintaining a house and the usual "grown up" responsibilities.

Can I justify $3,000 in depreciation in one year for something I am going to use a total of, maybe, 200 hours? No, I really cannot.

The whole idea of the $10,000 dirt bike is baffling to me.

I also have to wonder just what I am trying to accomplish. I am not going to race, so I don't need that. My friends, off the top of my head, ride KLX250s, WR250R, XR400R and a lot of bikes like that. I do ride with a couple of guys that ride EXCs but they're a lot faster "A" types. We go out, ride in a group and everyone goes at their own pace. So, I may take less challenging lines that if I were on a KTM, or I might arrive at meeting points a bit later, but so what?

For many years now I have been riding the same beater 2001 SV650 on the street. It' s very often the 'worst bike at the rally'. My friends, racers, ex racers and the like, ride pretty quick but I have never felt like the SV slowed me down and if it did who cares?

I am not sure what "better" means in this context. Because, to me, "better" means keeping $7,000.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, a new dual sport KTM/Husky is gonna cost 10K - And that's waaay too much money.. I can't wrap my head around spending that much money on a "racing bike with turn signals".. I'm just happy they are making em.. Perhaps a lightly used one for 7.5K VS a new KLX + exhaust + BB kit + carb + cams for the same price..? That's how I'd justify spending 7.5k on a KTM350 EXC - but then, I'm going senile.. I want a KTM950 Super Enduro sooo bad - I passed them up when they were still in the showrooms..

Quick Reply: KLX to EXC