Handguards for a KLX250S...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

How, what, & where does that bent alloy triple mount connect to the bike. The inside end of mine I have tied to the handlebar with 1/2" extra standoffs & I don't like that.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
How, what, & where does that bent alloy triple mount connect to the bike. The inside end of mine I have tied to the handlebar with 1/2" extra standoffs & I don't like that.
It bolts onto the yoke. You need to replace the current bolts with longer ones. You an see it in some of the photos.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Red, do you remember what size bolts you bought to replace the existing ones? I looked at a parts schematic and it said that they're 8x40 bolts, but I'm not sure I know what that means... How does that convert into something that I would buy at a hardware store?

Old 03-11-2013, 03:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jage
Red, do you remember what size bolts you bought to replace the existing ones? I looked at a parts schematic and it said that they're 8x40 bolts, but I'm not sure I know what that means... How does that convert into something that I would buy at a hardware store?
I'm sorry I don't. I took one of the original OEM bolts from the bike and took it to the parts store and asked for one 1/2 inch longer. They found the bolts in the back. It was pretty easy actually.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I installed a set of the Moose Racing handguards on both my KLX250S and my wife's CRF230L this weekend. The install was fairly easy (would have been easier if I had read the instructions first). Biggest hassle was getting all of the cables routed and controls aligned.

These handguards seem beefy enough to do the job, and at a price that didn't break the bank...

Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PSUdude85
I had a similar problem with mine, I had since covered the brake line in electrical tape since it rubs the mount during suspension articulation, and also re-routed the clutch cables to go above the guard.

I had the same brake line issues as Lotrat & PSUdude85. I love how the BarkBusters look and perform, but you really have to "thread the needle" to get these things on. I must have fidgeted at least three separate times to get them where I wanted them. I had to move the brake line to the outside (front) of the clutch cable and wire harness to keep it from rubbing and catching on the BarkBusters during articulation. Now the BarkBuster mounting hardware is above the wire harness, below the clutch cable and it just barely grazes the brake line. The Brake line is also wrapped in electrical tape for a little extra protection. Finito...

Old 04-12-2013, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Powermadd

Just wanted to post up some pics of the Powermadd handguards I installed. I modded the mirror position to get a bit more crash protection-they are acceptable(decent even compared to some of the sportbikes I've been on). I ground down some of the R/H oe mirror mount to make it fit properly. They have been crash tested with very good results...

Attached Thumbnails Handguards for a KLX250S...-handguards-001.jpg   Handguards for a KLX250S...-handguards-002.jpg   Handguards for a KLX250S...-handguards-003.jpg   Handguards for a KLX250S...-handguards-005.jpg  
Old 12-27-2013, 11:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I see the issues with the clutch cable and the front brake line on the left side, but what about on the right side where the brake line comes out of the front master cylinder?

I bought a set of MSR handguards and they appear to have similar bends/clearance as the Cyclar.

Are there any handguards that clear the brake line bolt on the right side? Or do you have to rotate the guards above or below?

Thanks...

Old 12-28-2013, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I went with the HDB hand guards on my 06 klx. They match the bike perfectly. Can't wait to test them out in the spring as I put them on too late in the year.

I got the optional mirrors on each side.

Name:  IMG_5854_zps877f1895.jpg
Views: 1866
Size:  4.71 MB

Name:  IMG_5850_zps85ba151c.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  3.27 MB

Name:  IMG_5848_zpscc665509.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  3.81 MB

Old 12-28-2013, 03:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Those HBD units look like they have more room for the levers, I like them. I'm getting them next time. Where you get them?
The post with the red bike, it looks like you installed them with the bend up. Most have it down, that may work better, post a report after you crash please (hope it is next year at least).
That sounds like I am kinda mean? sorry.

Quick Reply: Handguards for a KLX250S...