Handguards for a KLX250S...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I've had good luck so far with Trackside handguards on my KLX250s (and WeeStrom too)
On KLX250s

On Wee

Old 03-01-2013, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Cycra Pro Bend on Stock KLX250 bar

I just installed the Cycra Pro Bends using the triple mount on my 2010 stock bars. The install went really easy. Total time of 1.5 - 2 hrs with a buddy and not going fast.

1) To start I took a 13mm socket, heated it up on my element kitchen stove and melted a nice small hole through the ends of the rubber grips. Socket not damaged.

2) Then I used a 17/64 drill bit and made the already bar end weight hole bigger.

3) Next I used an 8mm tap and threaded the hole.

4) After that I mounted the Triple Mount (I did have to get longer bolts at a buck 1.25). These went on nicely.

5) I loosened the right brake and the left clutch. I did have to rotate these up to get room.

6) Then I mounted the plastic onto the bars and bolted the set up on. I did use a spacer on the bar ends the consisted of 1 nut and an aluminum cone thingy that came with the hand guards if you went with that expandable fit thing (I'm not mechanical hahahaha).

All in all I'm happy with the set up and there wasn't any problems with controls on the bars being in the way. Lots of room for the levers. I'm really happy with the triple mount setup and recommend it.

I tried to upload some photos but kept getting errors and couldn't figure it out, sorry. Maybe someone could help me.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:50 PM
1st Gear Member

In another thread on hand guards I posted I was having problems with the curved guards bending in every time the bike went down. It happened again so I started shopping on ebay for some old school straight guards. I happened upon the ad for the same guards I had and noticed I had installed them upside down. These guards have a more pronounced dip in them which was too much leverage when the bike went down. I've since flipped them over like they should be and don't anticipate any more problems.
marc
before
Name:  klxgoofyfoot007_zpsad82cd78.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  181.2 KB
now like shown in ad
ATV Hand Guards for Snowmobile Motorcycle MX Honda Yamaha KTM Suzuki Polaris | eBay

Old 03-03-2013, 07:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I like my tusk guards. Pretty reasonable from Rocky Mountain Atv.

Attached Thumbnails Handguards for a KLX250S...-image.jpg  
Old 03-03-2013, 08:11 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red Brigade
1) To start I took a 13mm socket, heated it up on my element kitchen stove and melted a nice small hole through the ends of the rubber grips. Socket not damaged.
Good thinking 99! I should have used this method as I used a Stanley knife (box cutter) to dig out a round hole. Looks a bit agricultural but it's well hidden!

Old 03-03-2013, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Red Brigade, if it's not too much trouble, do you think you could post the part numbers of what you installed? If you still have them, that is...
Also, did you use the triple end mounts or the triple center mounts?

Old 03-03-2013, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Jage
Red Brigade, if it's not too much trouble, do you think you could post the part numbers of what you installed? If you still have them, that is...
Also, did you use the triple end mounts or the triple center mounts?
Jage, I dont have the part numbers, but here's the links to all the stuff I bought from Motorcycle-Superstore. Not sure what the triple end mounts verse the center mounts are. I'm trying to post some photos of my bike.....

Pro Bend Bar Pack: $74
Cycra Pro Bend Alloy Bar Pack - Adventure Touring - Motorcycle Superstore

Pro Bend Triple Mount (Front Mount): I paid $38
Cycra Pro Bend Alloy Handguard Triple Mount System - Dirt Bike Motocross - Motorcycle Superstore

And then I also bought these for summer riding: $17
Cycra Low Profile Enduro Handshields - Dirt Bike Motocross - Motorcycle Superstore

And free shipping

Old 03-03-2013, 07:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Attempt to post photos.....

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/...psaa5c1c94.jpg

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/...psca34ac43.jpg

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/...ps68e7fb8d.jpg

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/...psf2fb58c8.jpg
the bar end showing my socket melting job. You can sort of see the nut in the rubber and then the cone from the expander parts. I used a chainsaw file to make it fit over the bolt. On the throttle side there is a piece of hard plastic so I had to make 2-3 trips from the stove to melt through it

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/...psc4cb526e.jpg

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5de6d0cd.jpg

Old 03-03-2013, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, Red!! That's exactly what I was looking for!
I think the mounting stuff that I was asking about are both covered in the Triple Mount System that you posted a link to...I think
Anyway, I'm going to order that stuff and get it on before riding season officially starts (warmer temps...)!
Awesome info, thanks again!!
The only thing that might be an issue, that I hope isn't any issue, is that my bike is an '07 while you put them on a '10...
Ordering them anyway.

Last edited by Jage; 03-03-2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 03-03-2013, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jage
Thanks, Red!! That's exactly what I was looking for!
I think the mounting stuff that I was asking about are both covered in the Triple Mount System that you posted a link to...I think
Anyway, I'm going to order that stuff and get it on before riding season officially starts (warmer temps...)!
Awesome info, thanks again!!
The only thing that might be an issue, that I hope isn't any issue, is that my bike is an '07 while you put them on a '10...
Ordering them anyway.
No problem, glad I can help. I can see it being a problem. The only thing that might be different is the end weights. I put my bike on the road yesterday and I rode around town +6 Celsius (not sure of the conversion). I noticed a huge difference in warmth from having the hand guards blocking wind.

Attached Thumbnails Handguards for a KLX250S...-img_1132_zpsb161119d.jpg  

Quick Reply: Handguards for a KLX250S...