Kawasaki Forums

Kawasaki Forums (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/)
-   KLX 250S (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/)
-   -   Handguards for a KLX250S... (https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/handguards-klx250s-35370/)

pistonpopper 04-18-2011 10:48 AM

Handguards for a KLX250S...

There are a lot of handguards out there, but which ones will mount up on the 250S? Dosen't seem to be a lot of room for a mounting system, with the lever perches, & switches. Need advice/info. Thanks.

LCubanaso 04-18-2011 11:38 AM

Handguards

1 Attachment(s)
I used the Cycra handguards on my 2009 KLX250s. You have to adjust your perches some (in) but they fit fine. Fitting handguards is always like putting a puzzle together. You have to move all of the pieces until they fit perfectly.

BTW - Be aware that the stock handlebars are both soft (prone to bending) and plugged at the ends. If you do some searches you will see that some have cut the plugs out, others have tapped the plugs so that they accept the handguard bolts, and others (like me) have chosen to replace the bars. I went with ProTaper SE bars (7/8) and I'm happy with my setup.

Attachment 15189

Highbeam 04-18-2011 02:50 PM

I also chose to ditch those stock bars before they could ruin my ride. I went with Renthal 7/8 double walls that have always served me well. I chose a CR-high bend which is almost exactly the same as stock.

Anyway, the Acerbis rally pros fit just fine. They are probably the most common bark buster you'll see in the woods for a reason. They work great.

Do not buy any guard that does not include a metal bar connecting the bar end to another inboard mount point. Usually the inboard point is the inner handlebar and some new guards mount to the steering head on the clamps.

The only challenge that I foudn on the KLX was that the brake and clutch cables are a little short. Still works though. Make sure to turn the bars lock to lock when you're done to check for clearance.

ol'klx-er 04-18-2011 02:51 PM

One thing that makes mounting the hand/lever guards easier is to get the kind where the inner end mounts to the fork (triples) instead of the bar.

IDRIDR 04-18-2011 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er (Post 443113)
One thing that makes mounting the hand/lever guards easier is to get the kind where the inner end mounts to the fork (triples) instead of the bar.

Which ones mount to the triples? Any particular recommendations?

ol'klx-er 04-18-2011 04:01 PM

I don't know which mount to the triples. Mine mount to the bar at both ends, that's why I suggested avoiding that kind. Quite a pain. The Cycras in post 2 look as though they might mount to the triple.

rstru70828 04-19-2011 12:13 AM

Look at these from Moose Racing. I have the straight mounts on my 09 but wish I had ordered the curved ones.

Moose Racing 2011

ol'klx-er 04-19-2011 12:23 AM

I should add that it depends on what style bar you have. Mine has the cross brace (like the stock bar) and that's what made the inner end mounting a pain.

LCubanaso 04-19-2011 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er (Post 443117)
I don't know which mount to the triples. Mine mount to the bar at both ends, that's why I suggested avoiding that kind. Quite a pain. The Cycras in post 2 look as though they might mount to the triple.

Actually, they mount back to the bars. You just have to play with the clamps a little (I mounted them backwards.....on purpose) to get everything to line up.

CousinLarry 04-19-2011 12:42 AM

LCubanaso - I just ordered those same ones in black. They look nice :)

I have straight moose ones on now, and they definitely do the job. They're so banged up though it's time to retire them.