Can I plug my battery tender into the heater plug

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Red usually means its charging or that it needs charging and green means its done.
Mine unit has 3 LEDs. Red for power, yellow for charging, and green for charged / float charging. It was the last LED (charged/green) that lit red when I had the polarity reversed. When I swapped the wires, the yellow (middle) charging LED came on. When I got home, the green (charged) LED was on. :-)

I waffled between the Battery Tender and the YUASA unit. The YUASA was higher current, and cheaper, and came with ring connectors and alligator clips. I've since bought a second one...

Old 10-20-2011, 07:31 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Might have missed it, but I didn't see it mentioned whether the "plug" was wired "hot"...that is directly to the battery. I'd guess that if the plug was on a switched circuit to the key/ignition unit, then it wouldn't charge. As long as the plug is connected hot to the battery and the polarity is wired properly, it should charge.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mcnutts

It works with my heated vest also but that kills the battery.
Brings up a good point....anyone know how many amps our little bikes put out and how much power is available for accessories?

Old 10-20-2011, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default See, I'm not such a lazy git!

from another thread:

For the 2009:

16 A-14 V @5 000 r/min (rpm)

For the older KLXs:

14.5 A/14 V @7000 r/min (rpm)

Do the math on the lights and CDI power draw, and you'll find out how much you have left for accessories. I would imagine not much extra watts left since the stators were only designed for what they needed to power to make the bike as light as possible. There's probably not much margin built in. But hey, put a penny in the fuse clip and anything is possible!

Or better yet, if you know all this, put a clamp on ammeter to the positive terminal of the battery with the bike running at 7k RPM with the bright lights on, a turn signal, and the break light illuminated. That will give you a good guesstimate.

Cheers,

Anthony

Old 10-21-2011, 08:24 PM
1st Gear Member

The 09s did not come stock with this plug you speak of. Somebody added it. I would not use it until I verified where it goes and besides, when you buy a battery tender it will come with a new one.

Don't assume it was installed properly. Take off the sidecover and check it.