Bill Blue big bore 351

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 12:02 PM
1st Gear Member

glad i went with his kit two years ago, so far its been bullet proof

Old 04-21-2019, 07:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MotoJess
I finished my 351 install yesterday and it went great. I’m using BB’s TM 33/34 pumper carb also. I haven’t ridden it yet due to some super crappy weather but it fired right up and it seems like a happy thumper. The throttle response seems incredible. I spoke to BB personally before I did the deed and he had some great tips for all of us. Simply put: DO NOT run an air box with no lid (regardless of other mods). If you have to mod the air box just do the snorkel delete or do the KLX300 snorkel. Also DO NOT run the Marcellino cam mod with his engine kit. That would be a terminal error.

As far as install instructions you should only trust the Kawasaki service manual to be safe. The videos from MrDuhFactor are really good but I think some details were excluded from his videos that are important.

I’ll update ASAP with a performance review
He has his reasons for "no lidless airboxes" and "no MCM" - but those reasons have nothing to do with performance or engine longevity.

The MCM is "member proven" to be safe with the 351 PERIOD ! Two members ran MCM with their 351's with no problems (related to the MCM).

Lidless airboxes unleash big power gains (especially in the 6000 - 10,500 RPM range) once the carb is retuned for lidless running (Which BB does not know how to do.) The increase in airflow to the engine is so profound that carb retuning is absolutely mandatory for proper running and to fully realize the potential performance increase. There are many members running a version of my CVK lidless setup on their 351's with great results.

In layman's terms, the MCM unleashes the bottom half of the RPM range and the lidless airbox/carb setup unleashes the top half - these results will happen regardless of the size of the piston in the bore.

A 351 with full performance exhaust system, MCM, lidless airbox with lidless CVK setup would be a very exciting/thrilling ride - a monster ! Add a properly set up TM36-68 carb for scary power and "dangerous" throttle response.

Last edited by Klxster; 04-21-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Klxster
A 351 with full performance exhaust system, MCM, lidless airbox with lidless CVK setup would be a very exciting/thrilling ride - a monster ! Add a properly set up TM36-68 carb for scary power and "dangerous" throttle response.
I have a ‘14 and I’m really considering springing for the BB351. I’m currently running the MCM w/ ACR delete, lidless airbox, FMF Q4/powerbomb, Dyna jet kit (though I’m not sure what jets the PO installed), stock gearing, and emissions delete.

Apologies for hijacking , and if these questions are redundant...

1st question: What is this lidless CVK setup? Do I need it? I’m sure there’s a thread on it if you could point me to it.

2nd question: If I go BB what would be the best setup for jets on the stock carb? I often ride at 4000-6000ft in warm to hot (80-100*F) temps, and the bike is easy to stall at that altitude with my current configuration. What gearing changes to optimize the bike for all around riding (trail/highway)?

Again, sorry for hijacking and repeating questions, but this thread is long and somewhat cloudy...hoping for some solid conclusions from the experts.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:56 PM
1st Gear Member

You need to be running the DJ144/1N or K158/1N CVK setup - with possible main jet size corrected for the lowest altitude you operate within. The link is on my signature line, "Dyno tuning results with FMF system"....

Since your bike is lidless with MCM and KACR delete, it is quite possible that your previous owner has also setup the CVK with my lidless recipe - if not, then your fueling is certainly not correct !

Gearing is a personal choice. I require cruising at 70+ mph, so stock gearing is my choice. Your bike (with stock gearing) when fueled correctly, should have a top speed of approx 100 mph.

If /when your CVK is setup correctly with a lidless recipe, a 351 kit simply requires a main jet change to DJ148 or DJ150.

Just remember - always jet a CVK for the LOWEST altitude you spend time at. It can self adjust for higher altitudes, but NOT lower altitudes.

Last edited by Klxster; 06-09-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Klxster
You need to be running the DJ144/1N or K158/1N CVK setup - with possible main jet size corrected for the lowest altitude you operate within. The link is on my signature line, "Dyno tuning results with FMF system"....

Since your bike is lidless with MCM and KACR delete, it is quite possible that your previous owner has also setup the CVK with my lidless recipe - if not, then your fueling is certainly not correct !

Gearing is a personal choice. I require cruising at 70+ mph, so stock gearing is my choice. Your bike (with stock gearing) when fueled correctly, should have a top speed of approx 100 mph.

If /when your CVK is setup correctly with a lidless recipe, a 351 kit simply requires a main jet change to DJ148 or DJ150.

Just remember - always jet a CVK for the LOWEST altitude you spend time at. It can self adjust for higher altitudes, but NOT lower altitudes.
Thanks, Klxster. I'll definitely be working towards getting the fuel right when I get home.