'Baddd news

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

can only see the top of the piston. can you take some side shots.

(oh yea, we forgot to mention that circlip could hit the ol eyeball too! lol)

Old 06-01-2019, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Old 06-02-2019, 03:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
If a members' problem or question is a deserted island and the best logical / best data supported answer is another deserted island - and the ocean between them is filled with baseless opinion, hand-me-down dogma, flawed logic, uninformed and/or uneducated dribble, I am the "Moses" that parts this ocean, providing a direct path between the islands - and to enlightenment..

P.S. Just playing into your narrative / agenda, even so, you will not be able to resist what is a predictable primitive egocentric response..
So, while you are typing your response, try to remember, you are being played but you are helpless to deviate from what your ego demands ! Providing me (and perhaps others) entertainment upon your response..

Nah, I won't bother acknowledging you again or mentioning you to others.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok now that this beef is squashed... can we get back to this engine 🙃

judging by the condition of the piston, is there anything other components I should be inspecting? Cams, gears, etc.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

My thoughts are that piston has a lot of carbon, either run too rich too long or the other possibility is run too much at low rpm. Some riders try to chug around thinking the higher rpm hurts the engine, running out of the efficient range of performance builds up carbon too. Lugging around trying to ride the bike like it's a tractor. Happens all the time with cars and such.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
My thoughts are that piston has a lot of carbon, either run too rich too long or the other possibility is run too much at low rpm. Some riders try to chug around thinking the higher rpm hurts the engine, running out of the efficient range of performance builds up carbon too. Lugging around trying to ride the bike like it's a tractor. Happens all the time with cars and such.
Gotcha. The cylinder is now en route to billy blue so that's piston plus cylinder are being replaced.

Is is there anything worth inspecting down low tho? Crankshaft, gears, etc?

Ill attach photos of the cams later me later on to get everyone's opinion.

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2019, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Based on my research, nothing is damaged. Everything looks like normal wear.

Would y'all agree?

Old 06-08-2019, 09:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Your cams and journals look great! I wish mine would have looked that good when I took mine apart. Does look like some carbon build up on the side wall above the top ring, no big deal. The skirts look very nice though. (I am a big fan of nice looking skirts) Check to see if you have any radial play in your lower rod bearing and slide the piston pin in the upper rod hole and see if its tight-ish. The main crank bearings swim in oil and rarely are bad. Its the two rod bearings that go first. But from looking at your pictures, that's a happy engine!!

Last edited by ctbale; 06-08-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Don Tripas
Thanks for the advice but I'm stubborn and want to throw a 351 kit in there. This is the first time I will be rebuilding an engine so I'm not only doing it for performance but for knowledge as well.

I just got off the phone with Bill Blue and ordered the trusty big bore kit. Bill recommended not to retard the cams as it would increase the risk of damaging the piston.

How many of y'all are running a 351 kit + the MCM mod?

Its actually retarding the intake and advancing the exhaust. If it was me I would do the mcm mod. Or try it later. Can't hurt the piston. Its only 10degs. Its ez and reversible. I would press off that acr too, but that's just me.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctbale
Its actually retarding the intake and advancing the exhaust. If it was me I would do the mcm mod. Or try it later. Can't hurt the piston. Its only 10degs. Its ez and reversible. I would press off that acr too, but that's just me.
That's right, MCM does not create 351 piston-to-valve clearance issues. And, aside from the two members that ran that "combo" with no problems, Bill Blue verified long before ANYONE tried it (MCM+351) that the valve-to-piston clearances with the 351 kit are same as stock.

However, we (the forum) will not benefit from him doing the 351 AND the MCM at the same time as no assessment of a performance delta is possible.. Also, it is very bad practice to perform more than one significant performance mod at the same time - if anything goes "wrong" the "blame game" will continue for YEARS in here..Which is exactly why this combo has not become the "norm" and why Bill Blue recommends not doing it - long ago, one member did every mod all at once, (351, MCM, full exhaust, pumper carb, etc..) rode it for many hours /several hundred miles - then the engine "blew".. And, to this day, no one knows why.. One problem was that that member did not torque down the heads properly or at all, IIRC - but the MCM got its' share of the blame..

Do-up your mods, fuel it correctly, break-in the rings&cylinder, get it all working well, get to know the new power band, THEN add the MCM for "dangerous raped ape" power from off idle to 8000 rpm..

Quick Reply: 'Baddd news